It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

103-year-old Georgia woman banned from her church

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Agreed, I wouldn't want the cops to enforce this either way.

You would hope that a preacher just wouldn't ban an old lady from a place of worship.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I assume this is a tax exempt church. You can't keep anyone out. It's not a private entity. They don't have to accommodate her but they can't keep her out.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Churches typically have "Deacons", or some group of governing members who 'hire' as well as fire ministers.
Maybe they will replace this spiteful person.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: C21H30O2I

Sorry to be off-topic but having a name that is a similar text color to your avatar background, and therefore making your name unreadable, is against ATS Terms and Conditions.

Back on topic, there must be more going on here that is not being reported.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

*yawn*

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Poor old duck, she's been around long enough to recognize a lunatic when she sees one.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Poor old duck, she's been around long enough to recognize a lunatic when she sees one.

That's the thing. She's been there for over 90 years. He's been there 6. She is established. No "pastor" will be able to harm her. He's actually a moron to attempt this.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Nothing says parishners can't/won't take matters into their own hands. Someone mentioned deacons...who do deacons listen to? Little ol' ladies with iron in their spines, and wills made of same. She's likely not alone in these feelings.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It's possible that he's right though.

It's very easy to sympathize with her plight, and I do. But what's the other side?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
The letter quoted in the opening post says "... by vote of the active members".
That suggests that he has the rest of the leadership of the church in his corner.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What could justify banning her from the church?
I don't think he has to listen to her and change his ways, but the banning seems to far.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

What could justify banning her from the church?
I don't think he has to listen to her and change his ways, but the banning seems to far.

Well, maybe she was disruptive somehow, shouting from the pews or something. I don't know, but I do know that we don't have the other side of the story. So we can't comment on the whole situation, only her side.

I do still think it's a shame that it's come to this either way, and I don't think I'd like this guy's preaching style myself, but I've already said as much.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: seagull
The letter quoted in the opening post says "... by vote of the active members".
That suggests that he has the rest of the leadership of the church in his corner.

True or not(and I ain't buying his word) it's irrelevant. It would be illegal to stop her from entering the church.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
OK. I was actually responding to the suggestion that the deacons might move against him.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I guess that could be a possibility.

One would be hard pressed to persuade me that the only solution is telling her she couldn't come there anymore though.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Well, maybe she was disruptive somehow, shouting from the pews or something.

HAHA! The image makes me laugh! Little 103 year old woman heckling a boisterous pastor from the pews. Especially in a church where outburst from the pews are usually something welcome, like "Praise Jesus, Amen!"

My mind goes wild with ideas of what she might shout out! LOL

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

No, and it also sounds a bit like some stories I've heard of churches that were taken over by groups that want to run Rick Warren-style services. Basically, I group comes in a starts the process and eventually any who disagree are more or less driven out of the church. But since it is a black church, I don't know if they do that kind of thing or if there is a black equivalent to the Rick Warren hostile takeover approach.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
All I can say is, if she hadn't opened her mouth and complained about dude's "preaching style" she'd still be going to that church.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You'd be surprised. My GM is 92 and British. A vital woman. She's gotten smaller, weird but she's as sharp as ever. And quite frankly, if you can't learn anything from that generation you should just shoot yourself. They don't call them the "Greatest Generation" for nothing. They went from outhouses to the internet.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Senior citizens are known for complaining and bickering about whatever they want... They should know the repercussion's. There's a particular level of confidence I think, from being 103 years old. False confidence maybe. (A false sense of entitlement)
edit on 15-9-2015 by Mousygretchen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join