It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tipping the waiter ... is this an unwritten law. Where does this come from?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

2 or 3 bucks even on a hefty tab? Ouch

Probably shouldn't eat at those places again..

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Having once worked in an industry where I relied on tips, I generally tip very well, never less than $4-5 for standard service. If service is horrible, and that service is horrible because of the waitstaff, I generally won't. Exceptional service and I'll give more, but it's never less than 15% of the bill.

I saw something on twitter where a customer refused to tip a waitress because they waited so long for the food to arrive. That's the kitchen's fault, not the waitress, so the waitress shouldn't not be tipped because of the kitchen.

Other times, the waitstaff is so stretched thin that to be "johnny on the spot" is difficult, especially with what some customers expect. "My glass was half empty and it took her X amount of time before she came to top it off" kind of BS.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ashirah

2 or 3 bucks even on a hefty tab? Ouch

Probably shouldn't eat at those places again..

i go to the same few sit down restaurants.
thats the tip i leave.
our average bill is nowhere near hefty.
we eat on the cheap.
special occasion we might have a $60 bill but that is not too often.

still. my bill being higher does not equal them getting a bigger tip. i dont see the logic in it so i dont do it.
the waiter is not doing anymore work bringing me a steak or bringing me a dog.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Because the federal government doesn't agree with you, and has allowed them to be paid less based on our nation having a culture of tipping 15%-20%.

Think about it this way: you get the same server next time, they may bring you that same steak. 10 minutes after it finishes cooking.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Other times, the waitstaff is so stretched thin that to be "johnny on the spot" is difficult, especially with what some customers expect. "My glass was half empty and it took her X amount of time before she came to top it off" kind of BS.

yeah well i dont do the glass is half empty and i had to wait x amount of time.
but
if my glass is all the way empty and i am waiting then yeah, prob not gonna tip.

as far as the staff being stretched too thin. thats not my problem.
maybe the wait staff should band together and take it up with management since it is management causing them to lose tips.
none of that is my problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Waiters/waitresses can make some pretty good wages (hourly wage plus tips) depending on where they work.

One of my girlfriends worked as a waitress for an upscale greek restaurant in the evenings all through her 4 year university education.

She got paid minimum wage (which covered her rent, utilities, groceries, etc) and the amount of tips she received actually paid for her university education throughout the entire 4 years. Her tips per day averaged between $150-200, and on the weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) averaged between $350-450 per day.

This was 20+ years ago when minimum wage was around $6/hr and you could rent a one-bedroom apartment for around $400 per month.

She made a crazy amount of income back in the day !

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Because the federal government doesn't agree with you, and has allowed them to be paid less based on our nation having a culture of tipping 15%-20%.

Think about it this way: you get the same server next time, they may bring you that same steak. 10 minutes after it finishes cooking.

still though. their wages are not my problem.
they can quit if they dont make enough.
i dont have to tip anything if i dont want to. more often than not i leave a tip. i dont expect things to be exceptional.
3 bucks max for me.
i am within my rights to decide how much i want to tip.

i suppose youre right about the steak thing.
but
we go to the same few restaurants and i never have a problem. it is not like they can forget me.
not the forgettable type especially when they see me once a week.
food is always fine. service is fine most of the time.
they get their 3 bucks.

i also usually order the same thing

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I used to be a pizza delivery guy as a second job...my pay was basically tips, so. 2 Deliveries an hr, 5$ tip each, 10$hr pay...on good dayDon't have a second job anymore, but when i order a pizza, if it is on time or before, and still steaming, i will tip up to 10$ if i can. I know how tough it is, been there done that. But when it takes an hour and a half and the pizza is barely warm, they get 1$, there really isnt an excuse for that, u have 3 deliveries, u PLAN ur route so they all get deliveRed in time. Restaurants, if the service is fantastic, i tip very well, and i tip only on service, not the bill.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
still though. their wages are not my problem.
they can quit if they dont make enough.
i dont have to tip anything if i dont want to. more often than not i leave a tip. i dont expect things to be exceptional.
3 bucks max for me.
i am within my rights to decide how much i want to tip.

You are correct. Im just answering your question. And pointing out a differing viewpoint.

i suppose youre right about the steak thing.
but
we go to the same few restaurants and i never have a problem. it is not like they can forget me.
not the forgettable type especially when they see me once a week.
food is always fine. service is fine most of the time.
they get their 3 bucks.

i also usually order the same thing

With perception being an individual reality, if you perceive that your food is not tampered with, or treated poorly, then all is well.

I seriously hope that the average person would rise above. Most servers have low expectations for tips from elderly, or people who appear to be typically broke. And most folks doing service work take things in stride when there are enough seats filled to make it average out.

Im of the "rather be safe than sorry" variety. No personal horror stories or anything....just something I learned while travelling on business (tip good now, you get treated amazingly from there on out)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

One time I tipped a hotel shuttle bus driver in NYC $20 for the shuttle ride. I got free taxi service out of that tip on several occasions. I'd just tip him $20. Since cab fare was about $20 anyway, i figured i was saving on the cabbies tip cost each time.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

Tipping is still a choice, with the exception of the few restaurants who add gratuity either due to the size of the party or the type of dining (upscale, for instance).

You can't feel good about what is expected and waitpersons feel is owed to them.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I confronted some of the more regular cheapskates at my restaurants. Some got the message and some never came back. Either way it worked out fine. And when people stiffed the staff if they kitchen got backed up I gave the wait staff some cash from the register.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
what about leaving a christmas gift for the mailman?
i have never seen people do that till i moved up north. is it a regional thing?
a lot of people i know leave a christmas car with cash in it for their mailman.

my stepfather is a mailman and he makes out like a bandit at christmas time.
he gets a great deal of cash. he gets those 12 pack beer samplers. you know like 12 different sam adams flavors.
he has come home with hickory farms samplers. sears gift cards.
i mean he seriously makes out.

do you leave anything for the mailman?

i dont get it.
they are not like waiters that make 3 bucks an hour. he gets paid like 28 bucks an hour.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
What if they are knowledgeable wait staff?
What if it is one of those occasions that you may find yourself seeking advice?
Asking for a recommendation and it turns out that they were 100% right?!

A wine pairing for example.
When you order and everything is brought to you in just the order and properly prepared and on time.

As I said, there are quite a few of us and keeping us on time, well fed, and liquified is a great thing and no easy feat I may add.
On occasion have had more than one staff attend to us.
I just feel it is deserving that is just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Can someone explain to me how say 2 tables spending $200 therefore the tips at 15% would be $30. Surely the waiter would do more than 2 tables per hour? Somethings wrong with this math. Who is making the killing?

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

as far as the staff being stretched too thin. thats not my problem.
maybe the wait staff should band together and take it up with management since it is management causing them to lose tips.
none of that is my problem.

No, it's not your problem. So, you're going to take that out on the employee whose fault it isn't but yet you give the restaurant your business? That's bassackwards logic. "The management sucks so I'm gonna treat the employees like spit?"

It's also not the waitstaff's fault that management decides how many people to hire, so why should they suffer when they might be doing their job to the best of their ability but are met with jerk customers and other things outside their control? Generally the food industry is not a democracy, and there are plenty of people who would do the job without lip or confrontation with management after said employee is fired.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When I tip at Sonic, it's based on how sexy I think the car hop looks.

Lookin good? Here's $2.

Fugly? Here's 25 cents.

Just be glad you got anything for that 15 ft walk from kitchen to car.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

When you order and everything is brought to you in just the order and properly prepared and on time.

As I said, there are quite a few of us and keeping us on time, well fed, and liquified is a great thing and no easy feat I may add.

maybe i should ad that i dont eat at these types of places. i dont drink booze.
our typical meal is a reuban and fries for me and a blt cheeseburger and fries for the wife.
couple of sodas.
if that makes a difference.

bring my food hot. keep me in soda and i leave 3 bucks. thats about all i expect

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: zatara

Can someone explain to me how say 2 tables spending $200 therefore the tips at 15% would be $30. Surely the waiter would do more than 2 tables per hour? Somethings wrong with this math. Who is making the killing?

Depends on the restaurant. If it's a $50-100 a person joint, it might not be one server for two tables (4-8 people). If it's two tables with 10 people each at a lesser priced joint, it might be one server for two tables (close to 20 people).

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

maybe i should ad that i dont eat at these types of places. i dont drink booze.
our typical meal is a reuban and fries for me and a blt cheeseburger and fries for the wife.
couple of sodas.
if that makes a difference.

bring my food hot. keep me in soda and i leave 3 bucks. thats about all i expect

That's where we differ. In a similar situation I'm $5 hands down without question if the service is good, even for a $15 check.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join