It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you know how to weld? Think again...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

...Yeah, I think that outta hold Scotty, Thanks.

I know a few welders, my brother being one and they take pride in their ability, however this guy's a legit master...

There are plenty of artists out there who use welding as a part of their creative process, but none that I can think of actually make the welds their artworks. That’s what makes Scott Raabe so special. The Texas-based industrial welder is so good at what he does that his welding works are pieces of art in their own right. I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty sure pipe welding isn’t supposed to be this visually appealing. However, there’s something about the seemingly perfect way Scott weaves the welding beads between two pieces of metal that makes you want to stare at his works for hours on end.

Scott Raade

edit on 14-8-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

That's pretty bitch'in OP!
Have you seen or heard about this?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

no I haven't, That's unreal!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I'm amazed at how many people know about it.
edit on Rpm81415v23201500000030 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
years ago,about 1989,I went to work at the general motors proving ground in mesa az as a machine shop supervisor.My first week there,I was in awe of all the hi tech car stuff they had to play with! A mechanic called me out to the shop,and a head engineer was standing under a new generation corvette,not even seen by the public yet.He told me to weld a piece of tubing from the rear differential to the frame to try to reduce a vibration problem.I looked at it for a minute,then told him I'd have to get my supervisor to do it.He went nuts,asked me if I even knew how to weld....I said sure,but I've never welded aluminum to steel before......He turned beet red and stormed off! The mechanic was in hysterics! I figured with all the toys they had,maybe they had an atomic welder or something I'd never heard of!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: blkcwbyhat
years ago,about 1989,I went to work at the general motors proving ground in mesa az as a machine shop supervisor.My first week there,I was in awe of all the hi tech car stuff they had to play with! A mechanic called me out to the shop,and a head engineer was standing under a new generation corvette,not even seen by the public yet.He told me to weld a piece of tubing from the rear differential to the frame to try to reduce a vibration problem.I looked at it for a minute,then told him I'd have to get my supervisor to do it.He went nuts,asked me if I even knew how to weld....I said sure,but I've never welded aluminum to steel before......He turned beet red and stormed off! The mechanic was in hysterics! I figured with all the toys they had,maybe they had an atomic welder or something I'd never heard of!

The Hawker de Havilland metalurgical lab that I used to work at had an electron beam welder and we could weld just about any metal to any other, including aluminum to steel.

The whole factory is gone now.

edit on 15/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Very clean weld!

Has to be an inert gas (MIG or TIG) arc weld to be so clean.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

Did you see that guy do one. Welding aluminum to steel from
what I know is a talent few possess. I bet he was pissed
because you couldn't do it and they were asking him to do it too.
I've known one person my whole life that can weld aluminum
to steel heads. And his boss kissed his ass constantly.
They had the guy out there try'n to do something no one could do.
edit on Ram81515v07201500000039 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Must have hands of a surgeon to weld that nicely.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Very clean weld!

Welding on something like that isn't that hard, it's a technique known as walking the cup that is used to form the weave. Takes some skill, but not the highest of skill.
Believe it or not but the highest skilled welders are usually those who build railings and such.
I am a production welder, I weld up rail cars, I run Flux core mostly, and when I need to do vertical up hand welding I can make a weave similar to this.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Not discounting the technique but he is using the pipe as a pivot point. You can see the scratching above and below the weld.
Strongfp is right about the "walking the cup"
Still light years better than my welds.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

edit on 15/8/2015 by chr0naut because: duplicate post!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: chr0naut

Very clean weld!

Welding on something like that isn't that hard, it's a technique known as walking the cup that is used to form the weave. Takes some skill, but not the highest of skill.
Believe it or not but the highest skilled welders are usually those who build railings and such.
I am a production welder, I weld up rail cars, I run Flux core mostly, and when I need to do vertical up hand welding I can make a weave similar to this.

Yeah, I used to weld years ago. Used to be good at up-welds but it was never really my job (I was an Aircraft Fitter-Machinist), only really when building up broken gears & stuff prior to re-machining them.I probably wouldn't be any good at it now.

I admire the skills of those who just do this sort of thing with incredible ease and repeatability.

edit on 15/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

i use to repair welders for a living, seen some damn fine welders and some that couldn't stick anything together.
that there is one fine weld.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

how about thermite welding,

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I had only heard of it so thanks howlie.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It is a nice weld but really not that uncommon in the skilled trades.

And don't get me wrong, it is way better than I can do but we have a saying for those guys...."anybody can weld sitting at a bench"

I usually find myself hanging upside down from the steel and welding overhead lol....

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I could weld your a$$hole shut if you can stand the pain.
No one has taken me up on this...yet...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've got to admit with a few others that's a pretty easy weave to do.
I was doing that in my first year of apprenticeship as a welder.
Glad I got out of that game.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The gearhead in me think's that is a thing of beauty, sorta like looking at Miss May only different.

edit on 15-8-2015 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join