It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-firearm weapon discussion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Does a topic exist for that?

If not can this be it?

I have a distaste for guns, (i think its because of my upbringing, i was never allowed any toy guns... no nerf, no super soakers, etc.)
and frankly i find them to be rather bland at this point in my life.

Although i do like the P-90 but thats just me.

Anywho... any favorite pre-firearm weapons?

Please be specific

Sword or spear or axe is very vague since different cultures have different takes on each variety of weapon

some are in a classification of their own

Razorblade ring of death? Check out quoits.

anywho yeah there you go

oh my personal favorite

Liu ye dao, or "Willow Leaf Saber" from china

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Elysian
I own a P90DC. If I remember correctly, I bought it in 1995.
Good d@mn hand gun in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

Well glad to hear
So its not in poor taste to enjoy it aesthetics?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No, sir.
A little crazy to take apart as opposed to other hand guns but again, a d@mn fine weapon.
Sorry though...I don't know much about knives, swords, ect.
But I read your stuff and of course noticed the mention of the 90.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse
No, sir.
A little crazy to take apart as opposed to other hand guns but again, a d@mn fine weapon.
Sorry though...I don't know much about knives, swords, ect.
But I read your stuff and of course noticed the mention of the 90.

Question
Its actually classified as a handgun?
I was under the impression it was an smg

I blame Stargate if I was wrong

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Judging on popularity alone, I would nominate the sword as the most useful personal weapon. Almost every civilization developed some version of the sword. The first swords were invented in ancient times, and the sword stayed popular in one form or another well into the 1800s, long after the invention of gunpowder. They were carried and used in combat as recently as World War II.

The sword has enough reach to be useful in most melee situations, can be used to attack or to defend, and can be carried conveniently in a scabbard on the hip or back. It's useful for a person alone or for fighting as a group. A sword can either deal damage based on sheer impact or can be used to thrust or slash at an exposed area. It doesn't rely on a limited supply of ammunition. Heavy swords require strength, but a lighter sword can be used by anyone with some training.

Just for fun, check out this pump action crossbow.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I like a good polearm, personally. It's got reach, which is great. Plus -- after you strike, you can take a step backwards without provoking an attack of opportunity. Your opponent will have to step forward to strike you, which grants you advantage on your next attack.

Rinse and repeat until dead.

Was this about real life, or D&D 5E? I can never tell with some of these threads.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

You may be thinking about the FNP90?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

That thing is a BEAST!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I enjoy the heft of an Irish gallowglass axe, useful as a pole arm, great for cleaving strokes, plenty of reach, effective against longswords .

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I meant real life lol

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

You may be thinking about the FNP90?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

That thing is a BEAST!

yup thats the one

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chopperswolf
I enjoy the heft of an Irish gallowglass axe, useful as a pole arm, great for cleaving strokes, plenty of reach, effective against longswords .

Never heard of it
Looked at it
Pretty damn cool

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
For the sword I am partial to the scimitar, it is a vary versital weapon. It cuts on both sides ( the last foot or so to the tip is double edged), the curve gives it the ability to bind an opponents sword, if made properly you can use either one or two hands to wield it, and it can cover more of you when in a defensive stance.

When it comes to mass weapons, I like the pole arm, again for its versatility and sheer power, with the addition of a spike on the grip end it becomes quite effective even in close quarters.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
dual-bladed lightsaber

2nd line

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I've always favored a sword and specifically a katana. Couple years ago I finally bought a H.C. L6 bainite katana, let me say if I had to choose 1 weapon to go into a zombie apocolypse with, this would be it!
It has its quirks given the type of steel but it's so light and rediculously strong, I mean this thing can flex in almost a 90° angle with zero issues. The blade is too sharp if you ask me, it cuts with its own weight. Sometimes I feel if an ancient samurai ever held this sword they would just cry.

So far I've chopped branches off of trees at about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2 dia. perpendicularly with no resistence, no blemishes. At times it seems the sword almost bends back then springs forward instantaniously to cut anything in its way.

I researched these a while back when I was in the market and paid $1300 for it. Anyone that has a interest in swords - this is the one to get!

The only drawback seriously is, swords never tire but there weilders do.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I have a FN PS90 in my collection. A 16" bull pup design rifle. The 5.7x28 is a medium power cartridge with decent range and power. I added a tritium sight and a combo laser/flash light. 50 rounds in a compact flat magazine makes for a tremendous weapon.
In a sword, I prefer a Japanese Katana. Lite, razor sharp and the originals with folded metal are beautiful works of art with a killing edge.
Just my thoughts.
Personally I carry a 1911 combat commander style 45 auto by Ed Brown, and a Italian switch blade, of Damascus steel. My .45 beats the hell out of a sword.
edit on 14-8-2015 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Nice I will need to look into it.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

If you do get one make sure it's made by someone that has experience. Howard Clark was one of the originals but now more are stepping up. From what I hear conventional forging is useless and whole new system was created. I think they may even use microwaves?

Good luck, you'll love it!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

I've always favored a sword and specifically a katana. Couple years ago I finally bought a H.C. L6 bainite katana, let me say if I had to choose 1 weapon to go into a zombie apocolypse with, this would be it!
It has its quirks given the type of steel but it's so light and rediculously strong, I mean this thing can flex in almost a 90° angle with zero issues. The blade is too sharp if you ask me, it cuts with its own weight. Sometimes I feel if an ancient samurai ever held this sword they would just cry.

So far I've chopped branches off of trees at about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2 dia. perpendicularly with no resistence, no blemishes. At times it seems the sword almost bends back then springs forward instantaniously to cut anything in its way.

I researched these a while back when I was in the market and paid $1300 for it. Anyone that has a interest in swords - this is the one to get!

The only drawback seriously is, swords never tire but there weilders do.

That seems a bit pricey

I can present you with a website that offers swords in the 300-600 range that can cut through cinderblocks

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I have those also, I collect them.

My pride and joy is the L6
2nd is powdered steel
3rd is spring steel

It really comes down to flexibility in the end. Nothing will break an L6 but even a 440 Katana($30 dangerous) will get the job done!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join