It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-firearm weapon discussion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

i mean an L6 yeah, i would hope so considering they use that steel in buildings

Im going to stick to folded steel myself
more affordable and still high end

but out of curiosity do they make L6 Odachi's?

as for flexibility, you realize it takes ALOT in a combat situation to bend a sword

It takes less then a pound of pressure to penetrate human flesh

I have a
$110 Mushashi brand katana (it was my first so i wasnt looking for super high end, hey i was 11 i couldnt afford much on a $5 allowance) that i could bend 90 degrees and it would spring back to normal
edit on 14-8-2015 by Elysian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Elysian
I must not be on the same page.
I'm referring to the Ruger P90DC .45 cal pistol.
Please excuse my dipsh!ttyness, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I love my guns and always will. But I am also a big fan of bows. I have some older one piece back-bend types that are really beautiful and functional also. I also have a newer recurve bow, a Hoyt Prodigy riser with carbon F7 limbs that is amazing to shoot. I wish I could do it more often.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse
I must not be on the same page.
I'm referring to the Ruger P90DC .45 cal pistol.
Please excuse my dipsh!ttyness, lol.

not at all, i wasnt aware there were other guns that were named P-90 lol

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I checked out the link that Brit provided...and the only time I was able to fire one of those....was in Call of Duty, lol!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

This phone just erased my entire post to you sorry, here's the abbridged version.

No they all look like variations of the same katana.

Realize it's overkill but have had cheaper ones break once almost killing me. So I opted for a tank type of sword. Real ones are too expensive and I would only use them for display.

L6 is band saw steel primarily.

Have daggers also my favorite being a knuckle spike type one piece solid 440 surgical similar to one in some bad 80's movie.

Sorry about that. . . tried to remember everything.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

No worries at all and damn
Well its good you didnt get killed

Knuckle spikes are fun, those and push daggers

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Before that incident I never really considered the steel. Once I started researching my mind was blown how dangerous the wrong steel could be.
It's good most reputable sites grade their swords now but each one thinks there's is the best. That's why I dug a bit deeper finding these modern types.

I never trained officially but have spoken to many saying over time even mat cutting will eventually weaken any sword to eventual failure.

So now I sit awaiting the zombies so I can dress up like Lora Croft and scavange the wasteland.

As for handguns SA M1911 .45acp but my experience with pistols is limited being in/from NJ.
This state is rediculous you can barely get ammo now.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I manufacture and sell firearms but I'm a fan of all weapons. If I had to carry something that didn't go bang...

I'm deadly with a traditional longbow. I'd say that's my favorite pre-firearm weapon because it's the most effective.

A decent hatchet (not a tomahawk) is nice as well because it's a multi-purpose tool. You can cut firewood, build a shelter, and also use it for close-in self defense. I'm not a fan of flat edged tomahawks because they are horrible choppers compared to a curved bit. My favorite right now is this one by Estwing:

I'd also feel confident with a good quality Kukri. The blade shape is fantastic for most bushcraft activities and it would definitely work as a defensive weapon. Condor is the best choice among Kukris:

There's really not much you can't do with those 3 tools. A sword looks cool but unless you've trained extensively with it, a person with a shorter blade can close distance and be on top of you where your sword is ineffective and if your opponent has a bow, you're screwed. Never bring a sword to a bow fight.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Naturally, time ends all things

And to be a bit on the cliche side im going to quote a video game character "Use, brings about wear, tear, and rust." Angeal, Final Fantasy Crisis Core

As if to make a point in your support, the character himself never used his trademark sword, he always used lesser quality ones because they were easier to replace.

From a more realistic stand point, Musashi himself didnt train with just one single weapon

In fact he didnt even use a katana, he used the japanese "long sword" the Tachi, not to be confused with Odachi or "long-long or extra-long sword"

he also discuss the kodachi or "short-long sword"

A weapon is no more then a tool, if you dont have the skill to wield it, then does it really matter if its indestructible?

Musashi became so skilled that he stopped using real swords all together and only used bokken. One of his famous duels he even used, if i recall correctly, a fishing rod that he was carving when his opponent approached him.

If you want to find a good sword you have to look for the key words
The process used to make them, everything from heat treatment, tempering, even the quenching process matter

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

i absolutely love the kukri
its a magnificent weapon, and is used by the ghurka forces, standard issue even if i recall

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I agree completely as I never 'really' intended to have to use any of them.

Zombie apocolypse as I see it is wishful thinking. Untrained, predictable, weaponless oppenents other then the others still alive.

If I needed to think critically on this subject my best answer for this topic would be - my brain, as an unsexy top pick.

I too am of the school that anything and everything can be a weapon, there are so many variables when in a hostile environment no one weapon rules. Being able to use your environment and assets to your advantage are key.

Anyway I'm starting to drift, ttys, AB

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Youre against guns? Ok. Fine. Yeah...you stand in front of me with a spear, knife or sword as I stand behind cover 30-40-50 ft or yards away...and I fire 10 rounds of my 45 ACP /w hollowpoints at you and some sword...end of discussion.

If youre serious...a bow and arrow or crossbow because of accuracy at a good distance away from getting yourself hurt.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Yes for daggers a kukri is awesome!
When it comes to projectiles I'm also a longbow fan, there easier to find for my left handedness and are easier to replace a broken string that a compound.
The axe is nice I have a bearded single blade, works great for throwing as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Youre against guns? Ok. Fine. Yeah...you stand in front of me with a spear, knife or sword as I stand behind cover 30-40-50 ft or yards away...and I fire 10 rounds of my 45 ACP /w hollowpoints at you and some sword...end of discussion.

If youre serious...a bow and arrow or crossbow because of accuracy at a good distance away from getting yourself hurt.

Reality check
I said i have a distaste for guns
Not i would never use guns

Two different things

If you're going to talk #, at least get your facts straight.
edit on 14-8-2015 by Elysian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Your thread, your wording...your implications...my observations...
Was not trying to derail your thread into a different direction.

I will refer to and re-phrase from your original statement, with a quoe of yours ..."I have a distaste for guns....".

My end response-MS: "...a bow and arrow or crossbow because of accuracy at a good distance away from getting yourself hurt."
edit on 15-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: syntax

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I believe it was a boat paddle or oar against Sasaki Kojirō stories vary. With his skill, anything was a weapon.a reply to: Elysian

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: chopperswolf
I believe it was a boat paddle or oar against Sasaki Kojirō stories vary. With his skill, anything was a weapon.a reply to: Elysian

Against Kojiro yes it was a paddle
But there was another duel where the challenger approached him as he was carving a fishing rod and he used that as his weapon

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I read the book of five rings years ago, my memory is not the greatest. I shall have to study up on Musashi, I make traditional styled European swords and I normally use aisi 1059 steel, I haven't tried to forge a katana styled blade yet but I plan on trying eventually.a reply to: Elysian

edit on 15-8-2015 by chopperswolf because: spelt rong

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
hmm ... firearms have been around for a VERY long time.

The ancient Chinese had something approximating a modern day cannon, the ancient Greeks had flamethrowers mounted on their naval ships.

I'd have to my favorite pre firearm weapon would have to be the trebuchet. Not real stealthy, but boy, was it destructive.

For personal weapon, I'd have to go with the crossbow. But I would replace the arrow with a grappling hook.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join