It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth (Epic Dark Side of Moon images)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: onebigmonkey
a reply to: odzeandennz

That's the subsolar point - the part of the Earth directly under the sun.

got it. thx.

should this subsolar point be also visible in other earth images taken from space or are there special conditions required.

though I deal with digital imaging and engineering, I'm very ill-informed in astronomy.
(so please don't mistake my skepticism for ignorance
)

It's a reasonable question

It's usually much more obvious on shots over the ocean, like these two from Apollo 8 (picked purely at random):

history.nasa.gov...

history.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Isn't this the side where the secret Moon bases are suppoed to exist - the ones built by the US, or aliens, or both? I'm not seeing them.

a reply to: Bloodydagger

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer
Isn't this the side where the secret Moon bases are suppoed to exist - the ones built by the US, or aliens, or both? I'm not seeing them.

Wouldn't think you would see them from that distance. You can't make out many details etc on Earth either....

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Err and the Nazis....

Great images!!! I got goose bumps watching it

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Where are the stars!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I can't believe you guys really think this is real. Just take a good look at the so-called earth and ask yourself "Where is all the land?" and "Why does the U.S. look so tiny?". No need to even talk about the moon, without question that is fake. Who does NASA think they are fooling with this crap.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RealTruthSeeker
I can't believe you guys really think this is real. Just take a good look at the so-called earth and ask yourself "Where is all the land?" and "Why does the U.S. look so tiny?".

The view is over the Pacific, which is the largest body of water on the planet. How much land should you see?

How big do you think the US should be? Why?

Go get yourself Stellarium, or even Google Earth. You can simulate the view yourself. See my post on the previous page.

No need to even talk about the moon, without question that is fake.

Why is it fake? What should it look like? Why should I take your word for it?

edit on 5-8-2015 by onebigmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It looks like someone set a coaster on a picture of the Earth then photographed it

Very cool, but weird looking

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I can't believe you guys really think this is real. Just take a good look at the so-called earth and ask yourself "Where is all the land?"

The Earth is some 70% water.

and "Why does the U.S. look so tiny?".

What you see on the map is not to proportion.

Commonly, a map projection is a systematic transformation of the latitudes and longitudes of locations on the surface of a sphere or an ellipsoid into locations on a plane.[1] Map projections are necessary for creating maps. All map projections distort the surface in some fashion. Depending on the purpose of the map, some distortions are acceptable and others are not; therefore, different map projections exist in order to preserve some properties of the sphere-like body at the expense of other properties. There is no limit to the number of possible map projections.

en.wikipedia.org...

No need to even talk about the moon, without question that is fake.

...why, exactly?

Who does NASA think they are fooling with this crap.

You should not be so quick to dismiss things when you are coming from a position of such ignorance.
edit on 5-8-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I can't believe you guys really think this is real. Just take a good look at the so-called earth and ask yourself "Where is all the land?" and "Why does the U.S. look so tiny?".

The U.S. is smaller than most maps show due to biases of the Mercator Projection.

From season 2, episode 16 of The West Wing:

edit on 8/5/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

Did you notice that the clouds never moved either . It must be winter time and they are frozen . lol

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Did you notice that the clouds never moved either . It must be winter time and they are frozen . lol

Clouds would take a few days to cross -- for example -- the U.S.

In the timeframe you see in this video, clouds would barely move across California (which is just a tiny sliver of land at this scale).

edit on 8/5/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
It looks like someone set a coaster on a picture of the Earth then photographed it

Very cool, but weird looking

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw the picture. It is amazing to look at. The moon looks really small compared to the earth, but i guess that's down to the camera & perspective.

Wonderful image.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Here is 1 hour 15 min and it moves enough to be detected by eye weather.gc.ca...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

Also, I kind of wish we could see those Alien bases that are supposed to be there

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

But they do.

Here's the first 8 frames. A bit rough and ready but you can clearly see the rotation of Hurricane Dolores.

Here's a weather satellite view of Dolores

en.wikipedia.org...#/media/File
olores_2015-07-15_1755Z.jpg

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Stupid question, but if it's fully lit on this far side or 'dark side', why is it not as bright as the side we usually see fully lit?
Similar question:

Q: Why is square B brighter than square A?
A: It's not. We can't tell how bright things are, we look for contrast.

The far side is probably brighter on average than the side we usually see because the large maria on the side we can see are generally darker. Our eyes are very easily fooled by contrast and we can't tell actual color or brightness, though people often give themselves more credit than they deserve.

The whole moon is roughly the color of an aged asphalt parking lot (not the darker color of new asphalt), though it has some brownish and other hues, maybe a little more than a parking lot.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just awesome and kudos to the dudes showing the clouds do move.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Don't forget the nazis who went there in 1945 and started mining Helium-3. There is even movie about them, Iron Sky.

I don't see nazi base either, it's supposed to be giant swastika.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I have often wondered why in pictures of the full earth from space, that you can not see the northern or southern lights??

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join