It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mawiss
I know I wouldn't pay 20% more for my dinner just so my waitress could make more money.

LOL you pay more everytime the price of gas or any scare food takes a hike. And guess what? When the price of gas takes a dive again, the you still pay that more as it never comes down in proportion. It's a racket. I'd rather see that hike go to helping people earn a living wage.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Good to hear and hopefully it works out. However, its to early to tell right now anything. Lets see how much the cost of living and home prices are by 2021 when everyone gets $15 minimum.

The full increases haven't gone into effect

edit on 59731America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jul 2015 15:59:06 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mawiss

Why go to a restaurant with waitstaff if not to be served? You could go to a buffet or get hot prepared meals at a grocery store or take out place.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
One thing you do get when you pay someone a good wage is increased productivity and a sense of pride in their work. This translates to better profits for the business due to increased output and also happy customers who see improved service for them, especially in front line service such as restaurants.

This in turn makes the customers want to go back and as with this case tipping because they enjoy the service even when they don't have too.

It's a great story, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

It's absolutely too early to tell on a large scale. I just found the story interesting because this restaurant implemented the full $15 minimum wage two years ahead of the requirement by law... and is finding success to boot.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

I know I wouldn't pay 20% more for my dinner just so my waitress could make more money.

LOL you pay more everytime the price of gas or any scare food takes a hike. And guess what? When the price of gas takes a dive again, the you still pay that more as it never comes down in proportion. It's a racket. I'd rather see that hike go to helping people earn a living wage.

And what about the price of tea in China?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And the extra money those people make goes back into the local economy...
edit on 31-7-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Mawiss

Why go to a restaurant with waitstaff if not to be served? You could go to a buffet or get hot prepared meals at a grocery store or take out place.

Bc I may prefer the food offered by a restaurant and would rather not wait to drive home before eating it?

It's sad some of you have nothing better to do than argue nonsense all day.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Exactly. And that's how things grow...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind
a reply to: sirlancelot

Just happens, I know some folks in Drizzl, Allabama who are making $7.75 / hr. now.
If they could get paid $15 an hour, they would not only be able to afford that 20% increase in the coust of living, they might even be able to start enjoying some of the living they are now denied because of their low wages.
Just figure $7.75/hr for 12 hrs a day at six days a week, compared to maybe $15 / hr, for only 5 adys / wk.

Ok but what about the self employed diner they work for? Do you think they will be able to afford that kind of increase? Will they give up their govt assistance when their income rises above the ability to receive food stamps and other govt assistance? $15 an hour will cost jobs, force big companies to lay off and automate, force middle class business owners out of business! Im sure a vast majority of those making min wage now are not working 72 hours work weeks. Most are kids, or retirees! When you factor in the loss of govt assistance, higher taxes, and the higher cost for everything they have to buy they will find they would be better off to work less, get govt assistance, and that is how it is already playing out in Seattle and San Fran!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Cheapskate
We'd have zero problem tipping that same percentage on top of a 20% increase, and we're not loaded in this house by any means. We already tip a minimum 20% for delivery & eating out. We've yet to come across a delivery person or a waiter/waitress that didn't deserve it after bending over backwards for patrons.

Those who want all the service with none of the gratuity in return are better off nuking a frozen Banquet salt lick at home.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

It is isolated but it does illustrate how inflation would kick in with higher prices. So imagine all business in the area raising their prices by 20% or more. So while these employees are earning a higher wage, their cost living also increases so they wind up back where they were before.

The prices went up 20% and the employees salary more than doubled.

See how this works?

I hate it when peoples lives get better!!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well, when people are broke because they're not being paid enough to keep up with cost of living...

No one buys anything, and the economy continues to slump. It's in a businesses best interest to provide good pay and competitive benefits.

The wheel always come back around.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Cheapskate
We'd have zero problem tipping that same percentage on top of a 20% increase, and we're not loaded in this house by any means. We already tip a minimum 20% for delivery & eating out. We've yet to come across a delivery person or a waiter/waitress that didn't deserve it after bending over backwards for patrons.

Those who want all the service with none of the gratuity in return are better off nuking a frozen Banquet salt lick at home.

I say much the same when I subsidize liberals healthcare.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Yeah I'm glad you posted it , it will be interesting to follow.

I think we should get some CURRENT cost in Seattle today then come back and check as the years go on to see how the cost of products and services increased compared to wages.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Great !!!

Now the people getting that higher wage still can't afford that place.

And especially the ones no longer working.

#pricegouging

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

You bring up a point which I had not thought about.
For those who currently quallify for assistance will then be paying taxes, which will go toward higher government revenues and, likely, lower defficite spending; which will lead to smaller government.
As far as the overall economy, it will increase the demand for a lot of goods and services which will call for more people to be employed so these goods and services can be provided to these new consumers. It is almost like "trickle down economics" in reverse.
edit on 31-7-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: Edumakated

It is isolated but it does illustrate how inflation would kick in with higher prices. So imagine all business in the area raising their prices by 20% or more. So while these employees are earning a higher wage, their cost living also increases so they wind up back where they were before.

The prices went up 20% and the employees salary more than doubled.

See how this works?

I hate it when peoples lives get better!!

One restaurant does not make a trend, nor does it fully reflect the entire economic impact. I think it is great that this business was able to offer the $15/hr. However, it remains to be seen how if multiple businesses up and down the supply chain can sustain that type of increase in labor cost.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
We've yet to come across a delivery person or a waiter/waitress that didn't deserve it after bending over backwards for patrons.

I make it a habit of tipping the place I order pizza from no less than $6. I can't really go anywhere to get anything while on the clock on the weekends. There was a time I got to talking to the driver, he said usually my location is the last on their route, but since I always took care of their drivers, they never cared to make an exception and drop mine off first. I always have a hot pizza and it's never been slammed against the back seat of their car because they "hit the brakes too hard".

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
things have changed...these jobs used to be temp until something better came along.
they are now becoming careers because there is nothing better to go to....economy sucks.
good for them,this will benefit us all in the long term.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join