It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireball turns sky green over Argentina (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.rt.com... I've seen quite a bit of these over the past 5 years,anybody have any explanations or theories?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That was really neat. I had the good fortune of seeing a very slow moving fireball like that sitting on the hood of my car one evening in college. It's weird. If you aren't looking ar the sky you will probably miss it. But when you catch it seems that 5 seconds turns into 15.

I didn't notice if it blew up at the end of not. Would that one qualify as a bolide?
edit on 31-7-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Perhaps the colors are from the different metals that make up tons of space debris. a reply to: zeroeffect

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Perhaps the colors are from the different metals that make up tons of space debris.

Basically. Meteorites with green glows have a lot of copper in them.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Perhaps the colors are from the different metals that make up tons of space debris. a reply to: zeroeffect

Like a spectrograph chart of elements, the colors in bolides are significant to determining their make up…

The visible light produced by a meteor may take on various hues, depending on the chemical composition of the meteoroid, and the speed of its movement through the atmosphere. As layers of the meteoroid abrade and ionize, the color of the light emitted may change according to the layering of minerals. Colors of meteors depend on the relative influence of the metallic content of the meteoroid versus the superheated air plasma, which its passage engenders:[26]

Orange-yellow (sodium)
Yellow (iron)
Blue-green (magnesium)
Violet (calcium)
Red (atmospheric nitrogen and oxygen)

Link

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Perhaps the colors are from the different metals that make up tons of space debris.

What color would a gold meteor be?

edit on 31-7-2015 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

copper turns green but the interesting thing is those who saw it falling said they never heard it land/crash
edit on 31-7-2015 by zeroeffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That meteor looks super close and the video was actually quite clear but they said they never heard it crashing down or landing. Any idea's on that?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would tend to say...that a fully functional alien starship [Foo Fighter], would not display a fiery tail in our atmosphere, as this bolide or piece of space debris apparently does --- Though I still can't explain why a nighttime aerial, fiery Foo Fighter, does not leave fiery flame tails in an atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Probably the size of a pebble, high copper content, and very high up in the atmosphere, too high to hear any sonic booms on the ground, it will have burnt out quick.

Amazing sight.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
copper or nickel content will do this. it's actually fairly common. there was no crash or explosion cause it probably burned up in the atmosphere or skimmed the upper atmosphere and skipped off into space somewhere.

I've seen them fire engine red too. no joke two years ago at 12:30am on Christmas morning. watching the sky on my patio. look up and coincidentally see a red bolide cross a part if the sky. thought it was an awesome Christmas omen. a bolide impersonating Santa.
edit on 31-7-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spader

That was really neat. I had the good fortune of seeing a very slow moving fireball like that sitting on the hood of my car one evening in college.

Did you ask it why it was sitting on the hood of your car?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: zeroeffect
a reply to: intrptr

That meteor looks super close and the video was actually quite clear but they said they never heard it crashing down or landing. Any idea's on that?

Yah, usually these objects are tens of miles over our head when we first see them. Their sudden appearance gets our attention because of the speed of light, any sound they make would take a lot longer to reach our ears. If big enough this does happen, like in Russia…

People came outside to film the smoke trail for some time before >>> WHAM! What we hear are reports, sonic booms from deceleration through the sound barrier. Check your volume…[yvid]
[/yvid]

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Nice find!
s&f

I would love to see that in person.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington

originally posted by: Spader

That was really neat. I had the good fortune of seeing a very slow moving fireball like that sitting on the hood of my car one evening in college.

Did you ask it why it was sitting on the hood of your car?

No. I didn't. But the 12 pack of Bud Light I was drinking did. It told the then half empty 12 pack it was just passing through and not to be alarmed. Isn't that a strange thing for a fireball to say?

P.S. Thanks for pointing that out. It was funny. (Not being sarcastic)
edit on 31-7-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I was floating on a boat once, when a giant fireball came flying over our heads. It was green, extremely low angle, maybe 15-20 degrees of horizon. My sighting blew me away, ive never seen such an amazing fireball before. The green was so vivid, and the speed that of the Fireball, I saw, wasnt very fast. Kinda crazy, about 10 witnesses to that event

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here is a helpful chart of colors

WHAT ABOUT OTHER COLORS?
As Arsenic Blue
B Boron Bright green
Ba Barium Pale/Yellow-green
Ca Calcium Orange-red
Cu (I) Copper (I) Blue
Cu (II) Copper (II) non-halide Green
Cu (II) Copper (II) halide Blue-green
Fe Iron Gold
In Indium Blue
K Potassium Light purple to red
Li Lithium Deep pink to dark red
Mg Magnesium Bright white
Mn (II) Manganese (II) Yellow-green
Mo Molybdenum Yellow-green
Na Sodium Bright yellow
P Phosphorous Pale blue-green
Pb Lead Blue
Rb Rubidium Red/Purple-red
Sb Antimony Pale green
Se Selenium Bright blue
Sr Strontium Crimson
Te Tellurium Pale green
Tl Thallium Bright green
Zn Zinc Blue-green to pale green
- See more at: www.stevespanglerscience.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

originally posted by: Blue Shift

What color would a gold meteor be?

Gold which is a transition metal when hot will burn an orange to a white flame if taken to the highest temperatures.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19640129]zeroeffect
copper turns green but the interesting thing is those who saw it falling said they never heard it land/crash

That's not too unusual. Meteorites can be very bright without being very big. They can look closer than they actually are, and they can land hundreds of miles away or burn up or just bounce back into space. Finding a meteorite right after it crashes is actually very rare.
edit on 31-7-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm in Argentina. I missed it
(got home at 8:30 PM, and this was apparently around 21:30, I was indoors)

I missed my one time to shine in ATS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join