It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gratitude prayer and faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
So it's been a while since I've made a philosophical post and since that's what attracted me to this site in the first place I figured it was time I contribute. To much politics lately anyway.

So recently I had a revelation about the method I used for prayer and meditation and realized I was just being a whiny ****. Upon this realization I decide to change my mentality for the positive.

What am I talking about you ask?

Well typically when praying or having dialogue with whatever source exist call it this or intelligence whatever, I would be asking for something or complaining or in anger.

This dialogue is what I decided to change.

Now I've been slowing down my thought process by focusing on my breath and slowly breathing in and out. Then I begin identifying everything in my life that I'm thankful for including my trials and tribulations and thanking God for teaching me to be a better person.

My overall mindset when I started to do this began to change. I'm happier, more content and less stressed out. Now instead of stressing on issues I wait patiently and allow God or the greater universal intelligence to guide me and light my path.

Anyway! Have fun with that one!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Sounds exactly like what Wayne Dyer refers to in The Power of Intention

Now Wayne does ultimately get a little more woo involved than I'm comfortable with, but all in all, it's one of the best spiritual/self-help books I've read, and it's not a hard slog to pound through.

He talks a lot about The Source and remaining in a state of gratitude.

It isn't a 'fix me in the short term' thing, or a 'get me stuff' deal but contains some useful philosophical concepts (IMO) for the long haul.

Anyway, if you have a chance to pick it up at the library or something I don't think you'd feel like it was a waste of time, and based upon your post above it sounds like it might resonate with you.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I'll check it out thanks!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Gratitude is a key element in my interior life. The single biggest gain in that area was learning that I didn't have to 'feel' grateful just know that I was. I use my gratitudes all thoughout the day. Whenever my head is taking me to places that I don't want to go and whenever worry creeps in. I just start listing the things I am grateful for; roof over head, running water, fresh food, work, clean clothing, the ability to read, my fabulous old beater car, the companionship of an old cat, good friends, etc.

Sometimes I come back to gratitudes over and over when a destructive idea has me in it's crip or I want to tell a co-worker off (I'm grateful for the opportunity to practise patience).

Over the years my thought habits have changed and I don't automatically go to negative and agressive thought. Still do at times, in fact, wallow in them on occassion. But mostly by not fighting what is and being (rather then feeling) grateful keep me in a decent place more often then not.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

You even took it to another level with the no resistance part!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Gratitude is powerful, absolutely. Asking for things without faith will bring feelings of lack. Knowing that you are loved and supported brings peace.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Gratitude is powerful, absolutely. Asking for things without faith will bring feelings of lack. Knowing that you are loved and supported brings peace.

Exactly

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I learned years ago that the God get them additude in prayer does not work conserning my wife. Now when I ask for change it is change me to understand, to be more open to see what is really going on.

new topics

top topics

join