It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP Fast-Tracks Bill To Defund Planned Parenthood

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: dawnstar

So there are serial killers in the world, so why bother arresting any of them...cause another one will pop up? Im not trying to be an ass, but geez, shouldnt this issue be deeply vetted, since as a general rule, if money is involved...S&^t will get corrupted?

Am I wrong?

If you want the issue vetted, then actually DO it; but supporting a bunch of legislators doing knee jerk reactions to very potentially edited videos is just unamerican. In America, you are entitled to a fair trial. If there has been wrong doing, then have someone properly collect the evidence (not illegal sting operations) and present it in a court of law so it can be put to rest once and for all. The very fact that such things AREN'T being pushed is VERY telling to me. Especially considering how often the right has pushed for investigations into Hillary's scandals, the birther controversy, fast and furious, etc.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

a reply to: MystikMushroom

Come on...its deeper than that. Right -Left is everyone caught in a dialectic, incapable of divorcing themselves from an ideology shared my others? This isnt sports, its not a fight over the Steelers and the Browns...its human beings.

There is something inherently wrong with selling freaking body parts. If you dont think so...Id rather not have you as a neighbor...damn

what do you think blood banks do?...give it away for free?....and how about donated eyes, kidneys, hearts, etc...the people that receive those have to pay, they do not get those for free.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

My question to you...is whether or not people should, I dont know...maybe practice self control, or prior birth control? For Gods sake, I made it 45 years never getting a partner pregnant, but when she became pregnant with a life I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR, I did THE RIGHT THING. I take care of them both, they take care of me, I have learned a deeper meaning of LOVE and a hell of a lot deeper meaning for responsibility.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I'm really tired of seeing this argument. YOU aren't everyone. Just because YOU can practice what you consider being responsible for the child, doesn't mean every other couple can or even has the ABILITY to do that. You don't know the personal situations of every woman that gets an abortion or even that considers it, so stop pretending like you can just make a decision for them and act like it is an easy one to make.

In a perfect world, there would be no abortion, but this isn't a perfect world. Nor can we make it one. So trying to legislate accordingly just makes lots of problems.
edit on 29-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: greencmp

I know many organizations that have terrible origins that I am ok with now.

Weren't you among the more vocal "Rebel Flag is rooted in hate and slavery" members? It is fairly obvious that your level of "ok with now" is directly proportional to partisan politics rather than anything tangible or defensible.

I say good! I acknowledge that the court has legislated a woman has a right to an abortion... that said, funding those abortions with tax dollars doesn't represent everyone in this country. We cannot exclude a large percentage of Americans, disenfranchising them, by using their tax dollars to fund what they see as an atrocity. (A racist atrocity to boot, based on the shockingly disproportionate number of African American abortions in this nation.)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Much respect to you. I can agree that is the most ideal way to go about things. But life does not always go as planned. We live in a country that is founded on the very basic principle of freedom.

We have to let people be free so that we are allowed to be free, even if they (or we) do not use that freedom in a way we find acceptable.

The SCOTUS has ruled many years ago that women have that right.

Let people be free.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

funding those abortions with tax dollars doesn't represent everyone in this country.

Tax dollars do not fund abortions. It's against the law.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Wow, what a unique perspective, I'm sure no one has thought of that before.

And how do you propose to make people be more responsible? Other than what we are already doing with education and free/easy access to birth control? (Well, not easy access if you work for the Little Sisters of the Poor)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Let people be free.

...and this bill does nothing to restrict those freedoms. It simply acknowledges that the payment for such a freedom shouldn't come from a source that includes those conscientiously objectionable to their monies being used for this. It's identical to the "I don't care if an individual wants to fly that flag, but it doesn't represent the People for it to be over a government building" argument, and that argument interestingly enough, was made by many of the same folks who are taking issue with this.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

a reply to: greencmp

I know many organizations that have terrible origins that I am ok with now.

Weren't you among the more vocal "Rebel Flag is rooted in hate and slavery" members? It is fairly obvious that your level of "ok with now" is directly proportional to partisan politics rather than anything tangible or defensible.

Just like the last guy who tried to dredge this nonsense up, these are two COMPLETELY different situations. PLUS there is the fact that much of the history the right spews about Margaret Sanger is also revisionist history (which I've also posted links to debunking most of the racist claims about her).

I say good! I acknowledge that the court has legislated a woman has a right to an abortion... that said, funding those abortions with tax dollars doesn't represent everyone in this country. We cannot exclude a large percentage of Americans, disenfranchising them, by using their tax dollars to fund what they see as an atrocity. (A racist atrocity to boot, based on the shockingly disproportionate number of African American abortions in this nation.)

You do realize that it is ALREADY illegal for the federal government to fund abortions right? If this legislation were to go through then it would defund the 97% of OTHER things that PP does and provides that AREN'T abortion related. Things like STD testing and screening, adoption services, contraceptives, etc.

Not to mention, what is this even being based on? Where is the federal investigation that has definitively PROVED wrong doing? Why isn't the right demanding an investigation? They seem overly zealous to demand investigations for literally ANY other wrong doing they can dredge up. But here they are noticeably silent on the investigation issue, instead focusing on side-stepping it so they can fast-track a bill through Congress as quickly as possible.

Hyde Amendment

In U.S. politics, the Hyde Amendment is a legislative provision barring the use of certain federal funds to pay for abortion unless the pregnancy arises from incest, rape, or to save the life of the mother.[1] [2] The Hyde Amendment is not a permanent law, but rather is a "rider" that in various forms has been routinely attached to annual appropriations bills since 1976.[3] Legislation including the Hyde Amendment generally only restricts the use of funds allocated for the Department of Health and Human Services and primarily affects Medicaid.[4] [5]

That seems like the OPPOSITE of how we are supposed to go about determining wrong doing to me. It also seems deceitful and shady.
edit on 29-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I enjoy your contributions a great deal. We do disagree occasionally, even the media on all sides has accepted this info. Honestly I rarely look at you tube and I have accepted Choice, but not without a grudge. My opinion is as valid as yours, I consider all life sacred, but I accept everyones ability to choose their own path...right or wrong.

Do you have a child? Im not assuming anything, but my daughter has changed me entirely...I love her and her mother, my wife more than anything, or anyone on Earth. The notion of making unborn children a commodity just doesnt, nor ever will sit with me. I am not trying to be mean or hurtful to you, or people whom feel as you do...but as a father I AM emotionally connected.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

a reply to: jimmyx

My question to you...is whether or not people should, I dont know...maybe practice self control, or prior birth control? For Gods sake, I made it 45 years never getting a partner pregnant, but when she became pregnant with a life I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR, I did THE RIGHT THING. I take care of them both, they take care of me, I have learned a deeper meaning of LOVE and a hell of a lot deeper meaning for responsibility.

I'm glad you did the right thing, but, not every woman has a stand-up guy like you....I have a wife that had a miscarriage before my son was born, she still tears up about it 30 years later, and I also have a 32 year old niece that got married 2 years ago, got pregnant twice, had miscarriages both times, and her husband divorced her within a year. she still is having emotional problems with it...women are not stupid, nor are they heartless....they have been put into situations either by trusting a guy, or a guy forced her to have sex....very rarely does a woman deliberately let herself get pregnant on a whim.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

and this bill does nothing to restrict those freedoms

It's goal is to de-fund an organization which may people freely choose to receive services.

It simply acknowledges that the payment for such a freedom shouldn't come from a source that includes those conscientiously objectionable to their monies being used for this.

That's already been taken care of. So what's the point?

t's identical to the "I don't care if an individual wants to fly that flag, but it doesn't represent the People for it to be over a government building" argument, and that argument interestingly enough, was made by many of the same folks who are taking issue with this.

Who cares about the flag issue? The people and republican governor of the state decided to take it down. That was their free right to do so. They gave in to the pressure and that is not my problem.
edit on 29-7-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I'm glad you feel that way, so that means you shouldn't fall into the trap that pro-choice means pro-abortion. Did you consider the possibility that even though I may be pro-choice, I could also be anti-abortion personally?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

That seems like the OPPOSITE of how we are supposed to go about determining wrong doing to me. It also seems deceitful and shady.

Sounds like a clear case of government overreach to me, acting as judge, jury and executioner ...

We should remember that our friends on the Right are all about limiting the overreaching role of tyranical government in our personal lives ... that is .... until they're FOR IT!

Hypocrites.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Only they aren't funded with tax dollars.

This red herring needs to die too.

link   
Dupe.
edit on 7/29/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: introvert
Tax dollars do not fund abortions. It's against the law.

The SCOTUS definition of the ACA as a "tax" disagrees with you, friend.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So, let's see ...

Illegal to use government funds for abortions, check.

Illegal to sell body parts, check.

So ... this is not about the use of government funds (or taxpayer dollars as some here would have it) or is it even about the sale of "body parts."

It's about getting a "win" against a long-standing enemy. It's not about life or "the babies" ... its about control.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Control of women and control of the Congress, I'd say.

ETA: But I admit I'm weird and say weird things.
edit on 7/29/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join