It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban leader Mullah Omar 'is dead'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It's been rumored for a couple of months but now it's being reported by the BBC that Afghan government sources say he is dead , the Taliban has yet to comment.
There is nothing else on the story at the moment but I'm sure more will revealed through the day.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Bye bye bad guy.

Ed

A Taliban spokesman contacted by the BBC said the group would issue a statement shortly.

edit on 29-7-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Bye bye bad guy.

In a few months he'll probably show up someplace spewing hate then some US detractors will laugh and say the "Americans" said they killed him...

It's been rumored for a couple of months but now it's being reported by the BBC that Afghan government sources say he is dead

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
He's probably at an Afghan party with a bunch of knitters.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

R.I.P.

Guess now he will discover that the will of his God is not exactly synonymous with his paramilitary groups actions. If i was him i would not hold out to much hope for those 72 virgins!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Bye bye bad guy.

In a few months he'll probably show up someplace spewing hate then some US detractors will laugh and say the "Americans" said they killed him...

It's been rumored for a couple of months but now it's being reported by the BBC that Afghan government sources say he is dead

More like ten other guys will replace him. The US military still occupies their country. Pretty good motivation to enlist.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I wonder if he got one of those ocean burials popular among the elites-at-his-level, or just met the hair of the dog on the back end of those pesky bunker-buster forays.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

In a few months he'll probably show up someplace spewing hate

Haters gonna hate!

It's late/early, sorry....

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

A Taliban spokesman contacted by the BBC said the group would issue a statement shortly.

The BBC have the number of a Taliban spokesman . Am i missing something once again . Hey Taliban just calling for a quick comment . And it took how long to find bin laden , should have just rang the BBC .

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

The BBC have the number of a Taliban spokesman . Am i missing something once again .

The Taliban contacted the BBC presumably after it ran the story.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

It says contacted by the BBC in the quote .

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

You were correct , sorry.
I guess they must have a media team for news organisations to contact.

edit on 29-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Afghanistan examining claim Taliban leader Mullah Omar died

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan official said Wednesday his government is examining claims that reclusive Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar is dead. The Taliban could not be immediately reached on the government's comments about Omar, who has been declared dead many times before.

Omar, the one-eyed, secretive head of the Taliban and an al-Qaida ally, led a bloody insurgency against U.S.-led forces after they toppled him from his rule in Afghanistan in 2001.

Zafar Hashemi, a deputy spokesman for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, made the announcement at a hastily called news conference Wednesday in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

"We are aware of the reports of the passing away of Mullah Omar, the Taliban leader," Hashemi said. "We are still in the process of checking those reports, and as soon as we get confirmation or verification, we will inform the Afghan people and the media."

A Pakistani security official, speaking on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorized to brief journalists, called the circling rumors "speculation" designed to disrupt peace talks.

The rumors come two days before the next round of talks between the Afghan government and Taliban representatives is due to be held in Pakistan. A senior government official confirmed the meeting will take place in the resort town of Murree, where the first round was held on July 7.

He said one woman, Sediqa Balhki, would be included in the Afghan delegation. Balkhi is a member of the High Peace Council, the body charged with forging peace with the insurgents. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as he wasn't authorized to speak to journalists.

If Omar died, it could complicate the peace process as it removes a figurehead for the insurgents, who until now have appeared to act collectively but are believed to be split on whether to continue the war or negotiate with Ghani's government. Ending the war has been a main priority for Ghani since he took office last year.

"Whether he is dead or alive is important because he is the collective figure for the Taliban," said a Western diplomat with connections to the Taliban leadership. "If he is dead, it would be much more difficult to get negotiations with the Taliban because there would be no collective figure to rally around and take collective responsibility for entering peace talks."

The diplomat spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to journalists about the situation.

Taliban insurgents have spread their war from the traditional southern and eastern heartlands bordering Pakistan to northern Afghanistan this year. In recent weeks, the insurgents have taken control of remote districts in Badakhshan province, and continue to launch mass attacks on districts in Kunduz province, a strategically located region bordering Tajikistan.

The strategy has spread Afghan military resources very thin as U.S. and NATO forces ended their combat mission in the country at the end of last year.

edit on 29-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Rest in Pieces, stoneage neanderthal.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You guys do realise that Mullah Omar is an enemy of Al Baghdadi & ISIS...
You do realise that he became Taliban leader when he started hanging rapists who were holding women captive...
You do realise he only encouraged attacks on U.S. invaders once an airstrike had killed his 10 year old son only a week into the Afghan invasion...
You do realise this isn't the same Taliban that shoots up school children...

I'm sure you do.

I for one hope this isn't true.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

You were correct , sorry.
I guess they must have a media team for news organisations to contact.

No joke, they absolutely do have a media team! Terrorist warfare is totally based on propaganda and publication of their perceived successes to achieve their objectives. The Taliban are known to have a consistent and well thought out social media strategy, they will have specific contacts assigned at the various news agencies, don't underestimate their intelligence and strategic planning.

If the Taliban have released this information it will surely have been done to serve a political objective, otherwise they would just continue to claim he was alive and well.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Cool, now he's about to find out how true is the story of 72 virgins. To bad he can't tell no one about it though

p.s. soon, someone else will take his place and become another public enemy.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I clicked on this thread expecting loads of responses.

I wonder how many on ATS can honestly say they even knew who Mullah Omar was?

one of the most wanted men in the world turns out to have been dead for years and unless i am missing another thread.

this is honestly all ATS has to say on it?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The Afghan Taliban have admitted covering up death of Mullah Omar in a biography of his successor Mullah Akhtar Mansour which was published today.

The news was kept secret by a handful of Taliban leaders on tactical grounds.
Official statements continued to be released in the name of Mullah Omar until July when Afghan intelligence announced he had died in a hospital in Pakistan.
The movement confirmed on 30 July that its long-time leader was dead, but did not say when, where or how - only that it had been from an illness and he had remained in Afghanistan since the US-led invasion in 2001.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just like Mullah Omar, now Italy has its own scapegoat for the "Budrio" killing of a few days ago. He's "Igor the Russian" and he seems to have escaped just like mullah Omar with some sort of motorbike.

posted on Jul, 25 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The EU finances the Taliban since the 80s and provides them with weapons, including MANPADS and AT missiles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join