It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If I am reading this correctly, Drag Queens are not banned from attending, only from performing. Is that right?

Why would it matter if they performed or not?

Are there certain Drag Queen performance groups that mock the community in their acts?

Guess I'm, confused.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If I am reading this correctly, Drag Queens are not banned from attending, only from performing. Is that right?

Why would it matter if they performed or not?

That part confuses me as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

True, Transgender people can be Gay, Straight or Bisexual... but that has nothing to do with 'Transgender' that is a Gender Identity not a sexual orientation

I'm A Gay Genderfluid MAAB(Male Assigned At Birth), which means i'm attracted to men but my Gender Identity is fluid between Male and Female

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: beezzer

but even i get those wrong sometimes

You're not the only one. I got in a huge fight (not fisticuffs) with someone over being non-binary and demanding that I address them as "they or them."

That's just not good English, and so I refused.

As I said, cisgendered, homosexual and confused.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

We have been talking about having an Open Topic discussing the Many GLTBQ+ Genderfluid topics and Community, to give people an opportunity to openly ask Questions

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just for reference if anyone wants a Topic with Drag Performances... i continue to Update it

The Drag Show Thread

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I'm very glad we now have an opportunity to talk about it. And THANK YOU for joining in to answer questions.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
I'd imagine, but transvestites, transsexuals and drag queens aren't necessarily all the same group.

They aren't. A glossary may be necessary.

Transvestite/Cross-dresser = mostly heterosexual men who love women's clothing and fashion. Think of this as Cosplay. They don't want to be women. They want to play as women for the weekend or go shopping with their girlfriends/wives for private times at home. They aren't gay and probably would feel uncomfortable if a man thought they were attractive out of their female attire. If the same male found them attractive in their female attire they'd see it as confirmation that their costume was a success, nothing more.

Transsexual = someone of either anatomical anatomical sex (female to male or male to female) whose brain does not match the body they were born into. They may often (but not always) have surgery to correct their body to be in line with their gender identity. Most transsexuals have felt uncomfortable in the body they inhabit prior to transitioning. This term is of favor politically, (replaced with a more general term "Transgender") even though the term Transsexual is specific to the process of medical intervention, transition and usually surgery.

Intersex = Someone who is born with ambiguous sex organs who are often assigned a sex by a surgeon at birth. Sometimes their brain doesn't match what was surgically chosen for them at birth. They might then have corrective medical procedures similar to transsexuals later as they mature. It is now thought that the intersex and Transsexual people are just different degrees and manifestations of the same thing which happens in the womb during the third trimester of a pregnancy which leads to the body/mind mismatch.

Drag queen = mostly gay men (but oddly enough also some straight women) who dress a certain way as part of performance art, similar to burlesque. Sometimes their shows are in bad taste as they are often meant to be 'edgy' but drag queens have often done very offensive things for instance putting on black face.

Transgender = All encompassing umbrella term which is so vague as to be almost completely useless (just my opinion).

Trap = Somewhat derogatory term usually aimed at young attractive transgender or transsexual women. I was called this in High School.

I do not identify as any of the above terms. I prefer girl or woman born differently.
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

this is what I've been waiting for!

Hopefully this can become an informative topic

link   

They have since changed their stance:

On Wednesday, Glasgow Free Pride organizers did a 180, apologizing and writing on their blog that they will indeed "welcome drag performers." Read the post below:

Advocate

link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Thanks, and welcome!!!

So, what is your take on the OP articles? Would you be (or are you) offended by Drag Queens?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lakotas

They have since changed their stance:

Well, in my mind I think "Good!"

But - still want to know how others feel about it.

A snip from the article you presented:

Glasgow Free Pride, an alternative, anticommercial LGBT celebration taking place August 22 in the Scottish city, created a firestorm when it banned drag performers in deference to transgender attendees.

Firestorm indeed!

edit on 7/23/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You should start a change .org petition.

The outrage!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Thanks, and welcome!!!

So, what is your take on the OP articles? Would you be (or are you) offended by Drag Queens?

I'm sure she will answer this much better than I can but her and I live in the cis world for the most part and don't really have any stake in this one way or the other. Personally, I couldn't care less.
edit on Thu Jul 23rd 2015 by EKron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Personally, I'll respond to both Male and Female Pronouns, He She, Him Her Etc.. again it's not a "Drag thing" it's Genderfluid

As far as Transgender, the Pronoun that they are: Trans Woman would be Female Pronouns, Trans Man would be Male Pronouns

Since Cisgender is the gender you identify that you were assigned at birth they would be Man-Male Pronouns Woman-Female Pronouns

Bisexual is a Sexual Orientation, so it would depend on if they were a Cisgender Bisexual or a Transgender Bisexual

there are those that identify as Agender or Gender-Neutral that prefer Gender Neutral pronouns "They, Them" Etc.. but even i get those wrong sometimes

To say I'm confused, would be a misnomer.

I'll just stick with "Sir" or "Ma'am".

I'm okay with them yelling at me if I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

how does that joke go.. just don't call them late for dinner?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

this is what I've been waiting for!

Hopefully this can become an informative topic

You know I'm completely open to acceptance. But, I do have a question --- because frankly I am mostly ignorant on the subject, Drag. I don't want to assume.

Would you consider Drag "theatre"? Or are there degrees of Drag? Is a cross dresser Drag? Or does Drag refer only to the more extreme presentation?

As far as Drag in parades --- is there a more fitting place for public presentation? I think not.

I know some people want to make Pride Parades more serious, keeping certain aspects "in the closet" ---- so don't call them parades

I sure hope I worded all that in a good way

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Thanks, and welcome!!!

I personally wouldn't be offended by a drag queen if their performance wasn't offensive. However I do see a point in keeping drag performances out of an event which might draw a lot of young impressionable transgender people who are still dealing with issues of gender identity.

Drag queens can often be downright mean and many are just as gender-ignorant and transphobic as some straight guy. RuPaul has repeatedly done or said offensive things towards the transgender community for example.

So imagine some young transgender girl going to a pride event and being referred to with male pronouns by an ignorant drag queen. It's just as hurtful.

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they can't be a transphobe, just like just because someone is an ethnic minority doesn't mean they can't be racist.

Personally I have no problem with them banning them if they had problems in the past with them. I do think it would probably be better for them to vett the performers and performances so they only had non-offensive drag queens present but since they often bring entourages of other people from their drag scene who would be offensive then maybe they decided to just ban them entirely?

I probably would not be present at an event like this, not because they aren't fun (they are) but because I never really became part of the LGBT community.

In my world today, outside of my family, of a few close friends, my former high school classmates and now ATS know that I was born any different. To the world I'm just a regular 20 year old girl in college. I like that. I began my transition at 7, blocked male puberty from occurring at 12, took hormones and went through female puberty at 14. And I completed surgery by 17.

I didn't do any of it to say "look at me, i'm different and proud of it". I did it to not be as different.

I didn't do any of it to be special. I did it to be normal.

Like I said, pride events are fun but I felt very out of place at the one I went to. Not because I was ashamed of my difference but because I and my family did so much so that I could be normal. I'm not gay, lesbian, by and unless I mentioned it was never identifiably transgender. I was seen as just another straight girl who showed up to pride with her boyfriend.

I support the LGBTiQ communities but I do not feel I belong there. I don't live in their world and there is nothing wrong with that. I'll do my part to help from behind the scenes.
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Drag is a Performance Art... there are some that make it more Theatrical, some that Lip-Sync to songs,some that sing live, some that compete in Pageants and some that are Models etc.

Drag can be 'political' as it distorts the Gender Defined "Normal" of What Male and Female can be.

Drag Queen is a more "Professional" title, or Semi-Professional Performer versus that of a Cross Dresser who is not typically or not always a Performer, Drag is more "Stage" if that makes sense

Drag Queen at parades have been a staple since the first Pride Parade because of Stonewall and the Impact us Queens Had on the entire movement.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I still don't understand. What part of their performances would be offensive to transgenders or whomever?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join