It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Make BIG Announcement Live on Thursday - Another Earth?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Stab in the dark...

The Big announcement is that NASA has both a "kickstarter" and "go fund me" page where folks can donate $$$ to help them figure out which exoplanet would be the too die for destination should the crap collide with the fan...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

It's probably the Earth where creatures know what sanity is, if it's Bizarro Earth. Or, maybe it is the Earth dinosaurs still live on and the creationists will have a reason to suspect dionosaurs came from there to here, only to have their bones replace by Satan as a distraction from God. Or maybe it is just a planet from where other creatures whom have visited Earth already and are stilol here told them where it would be.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
If they find another planet. I will work for them for FREE for the next 10 years just to get off THIS one. I've had enough. Lemme go!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
How would kepler have anything remotely to do with
either Mars or Ceres?!?!? Spiting nonsense before
knowing what the spit contains.

Phage, Earthlike is a bit more then that imho.
But, the definitions on many things are really
stupid. Like UFO, the massdefinition is a alien
controled spaceship... As i said, STUPID...

The announcement will be a about the keplermission
in search of other planets... Thats as far as im willing
to go....

I bet JadeStar has some juicy info, hope she comes along
and share.....

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Quyll

Yeah i know, i wonder how many we've decimated thus far. Insanity i say...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
NASA : we need a lot more money to spend on erm , erm ,

Reporter : on what NASA

NASA : look at that pig flying .

(Reporter looks to sky )

NASA : yep that's it , we need 10 billion to see if pigs fly and the best bit is , you will never get the results . And our jobs are safe .

Reporter : so when do you start this programme ?

NASA : what programme ?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Statements like that make you feel like a kid on Christmas Eve again. Except NASA has a tendency of putting lead in your stocking and passing it off as a gift. It feels heavy, but underwhelms.

Problem with NASA is that it is all political these days. Very little science ... I recall two years ago, when they said that the Earth did not grow ... more than a hair thickness a year. In one sentence they said it grew, and didn't grow. It's a political statement, not a scientific one. So, whatever comes from NASA, I'll take with a spoon of salt. They aren't explorers anymore, more likely politicians hunting for funding.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: stlborn86
But seriously, I highly doubt it's anything for "normal people" to get excited about. It's more than likely something excited as finding another star

There are billions of stars, billions upon billions. They no longer need "discovering".
"Finding" one is about as difficult as finding a water molecule in a lake.

The Kepler mission is about finding Earth-like planets orbiting one of those stars.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Statements like that make you feel like a kid on Christmas Eve again. Except NASA has a tendency of putting lead in your stocking and passing it off as a gift. It feels heavy, but underwhelms.

Problem with NASA is that it is all political these days. Very little science ... I recall two years ago, when they said that the Earth did not grow ... more than a hair thickness a year. In one sentence they said it grew, and didn't grow.

Got a source for that?

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Okay, I'm now pretty convinced that this forum is almost entirely populated with disaffected angst-riddled teenagers.

This might be one of the most depressing threads I have ever seen here.

The amount of nonsense, ignorance, disinterest, criticism, complaining, whining, b*tching, is BEYOND BELIEF, and we're only three pages in.

Just this month NASA furthered the scientific knowledge of Humanity in massively significant ways, and that's only going to keep paying for the next year as the data returns from the New Horizons probe, and as it continues to explore into regions of space we have very little information about.

This is the furthest we have ever been away from our own planet, and already what we've seen has redefined what we thought about Pluto, and that's with only a fraction of the information we have yet to receive and process from the probe.

The Kepler mission is looking for Earth-sized planets, possibly habitable worlds. Finding one and confirming its ability to maintain life would be a massive scientific breakthrough for Humanity. Not because it gives us another world to abuse and destroy (seriously, could you all be any more cynical and morose?), but because it would lead to a new mission, and eventually it could plausibly lead to us discovering potentially millions of new lifeforms on that world.

If you have zero interest in science, fine, that's your loss, but why come into a thread about a potential discovery changing our world to just make a stupidly ignorant post about how "wasteful" or "stupid" it all is?

Do you think they're coming to raid your piggy bank to pay for this?
Is the exploration is space affecting you personally?
Would you also consider all scientific discoveries "stupid" and "wasteful" in the same way, or is it only when you're ignorant to the results of that science that you become a complaining child?

Really, all I can imagine is that you're all a bunch of teenagers stomping your feet and screaming "you're stupid and I hate you!!!!!" before running off to your bedroom to blast out Marilyn Manson and have a good cry.

Thankfully there's a whole world of sane and intelligent people out there more than a little interested in science and the massive number of discoveries yet to come in our lifetimes. Your complaining is insignificant outside of this depressing little forum.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: bjarneorn

Problem with NASA is that it is all political these days. Very little science ... I recall two years ago, when they said that the Earth did not grow ... more than a hair thickness a year. In one sentence they said it grew, and didn't grow.

Got a source for that?

I think what they meant to say is "scientists said something I was too lazy to research for myself and so I didn't understand it, so it must be bs!"

It seems to me that most of the people complaining here are doing so based on their nonsense paranoias about conspiracy theories they've heard from Alex Jones, or their ignorance of science in general.

That's the ATS way though, isn't it?
The tag-line of Deny Ignorance is said ironically these days.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
It would be awesome if their announcement was the pages and pages of dubious Mars rover rock photos were in fact... not rocks.
edit on 22/7/15 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
It would be awesome if their announcement was the pages and pages of dubious Mars rover rock photos were in fact... not rocks.

Considering Kepler has nothing to do with Mars or the rocks thereon, I doubt that's going to happen.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Its hilarious how much you guys are setting yourselves up for a dissapointment. LOL

Another Earth!!! Nibiru!!! Disclosure!!!

Now, tell me something. You all seem to hate Nasa and think they are lying about everything. Why would you belive what they have to say in any announcements?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
Okay, I'm now pretty convinced that this forum is almost entirely populated with disaffected angst-riddled teenagers.

This might be one of the most depressing threads I have ever seen here.

The amount of nonsense, ignorance, disinterest, criticism, complaining, whining, b*tching, is BEYOND BELIEF, and we're only three pages in.

Just this month NASA furthered the scientific knowledge of Humanity in massively significant ways, and that's only going to keep paying for the next year as the data returns from the New Horizons probe, and as it continues to explore into regions of space we have very little information about.

This is the furthest we have ever been away from our own planet, and already what we've seen has redefined what we thought about Pluto, and that's with only a fraction of the information we have yet to receive and process from the probe.

While I would agree that some answers are bit critical and positively sarcastic, your later sentence just does not make sense. Back 3 years ago V'ger ( Voyager 1
) was bit over 11 billion miles away from earth - making it kind of farthest object we got in space... (and according to ST is heading for black hole and will return to look for 'creator'.
)

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

As for topic and announcement, I hope it's something good, but as most will not hold my breath. We already had some good stuff from NASA this year, it might be bit hard to get something that will outshine new horizon's mission and new 'blue marble' image we got this week.

Still worth tuning in and checking it out...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: angryhulk

Considering Kepler has nothing to do with Mars or the rocks thereon, I doubt that's going to happen.

I know, it would just be ace that is all.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013
The check is in the mail, bro.

Personally, I think I'll just wait and see what they have to say this time.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Wow, Tau Cet e* Looks beautiful.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It's because NASA teases a big announcement and people want it to be aliens.

When it's not aliens, people are disappointed.

Unless NASA announces that they've found aliens, most people will remain jaded and disappointed with their announcements.

The end.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join