It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Fort Bragg should change it's name

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Braxton Bragg may have actually lost the war for the Confederacy.
His failure to follow up victory at Chickamauga gave the Union the opportunity to march on Atlanta after allowing Longstreet to take a 1/3 of the army in an ill-conceived attempt to take Knoxville. Grant overran Bragg's positions on Lookout Mountain and chased him out of Tennessee. Bragg's inability to handle his generals nearly caused insubordination among the ranks and ruined the last chance for the Confederacy to win in the West.
Bragg's performance at Stone's River was nearly as bad, wasting many of his troops attacking impregnable Union positions.
Had a leader like Patrick Cleburne or Bedford Forrest led the Army of Tennessee the war may have been brought to a stalemate by preventing Grant from taking command in the east.

As for the people wanting to have his name removed I'm actually ok with it.
They should just rename it Fort States Rights Gist, Fort Cleburne or Fort Breckinridge.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Or perhaps Fort Inoffensive. Fort Sanitized. Fort Call-it-whatever-you-want.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Funny how things change; back in the day, the type of behavior we call "Social Justice" was referred to as "Mob Rule", and was generally regarded as a bad thing...

Today, it's held up as virtuous.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Or perhaps Fort Inoffensive. Fort Sanitized. Fort Call-it-whatever-you-want.

LOl! Best laugh I've had over this whole flag issue.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

He had trouble following up because, unless my memory is totally off today, he ran up against a gentleman who may have been the Unions most underrated general. Gen. "SlowTrot" Thomas held off the Confederate Army long enough to allow them to regroup.

To my mind, he should have commanded the Army that marched into Georgia. Not Sherman. IMHO...

Braxton Bragg was a decent general, but he had the misfortune to run up against a great one.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join