It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven other state flags with confederate symbolism .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Seven other states currently fly flags over their government buildings with confederate symbolism in them . Being as many people never knew what these flags look like they cannot be judged on the same standard as the battle flag in South Carolina .

These flags are not tied inherently to racism but are flown as a symbol of the story pride and remembrance . Let's look at them one by one and their meaning .

Alabama

The colors of Alabama flag represent purity and courage and the cross represents the battle flag. The Confederate Flag was flown before the flag that represents Alabama today.

Alabama had left the Union in 1861 and used the Confederate flag, but when the state joined the Union in 1895 again, it needed to adopt a new flag for a new start. Even dough, it is simple, Alabama flag represents the freedom of the state that was the 22nd state admitted in 1819.

source

Arkansas .......

A diamond on a red field represents the only place in North America where diamonds have been discovered and mined. The twenty-five white stars around the diamond mean that Arkansas was the twenty-fifth state to join the Union. The top of four stars in the center represents that Arkansas was a member of the Confederate States during the Civil War. The other three stars represent Spain, France and the United States, countries that had earlier ruled the land that includes Arkansas.

source

Florida ........

Florida's flag merely resembles a flag from the past. But still some people might find it offensive here's what Florida thinks the meaning is .

On a white field emblazoned with a red X and the state seal, Florida's flag represents the land of sunshine, flowers, palm trees, rivers and lakes. The seal features a brilliant sun, a cabbage palmetto tree, a steamboat sailing and a Native American Seminole woman scattering flowers.

Georgia .........

The Georgia flag has three red and white stripes and the state coat of arms on a blue field in the upper left corner.Thirteen stars surrounding the seal denotes Georgia's position as one of the original thirteen colonies. On the seal three pillars supporting an arch represent the three branches of government; legislative, judicial and executive. A man with sword drawn is defending the Constitution, whose principles are wisdom, justice and moderation. The date 1776 represents the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Flag adopted May 8th, 2003.

Mississippi ......

Out of all these flags Mississippi is the only other flag that shows the Confederate battle flag .

Confederate battle flag is the whole essence of the start of the March to censor history. But here's a little fact that might surprise you

Mississippi remains the only state incorporating the Confederate battle flag into its state flag design. It was adopted in 1894.

In 2001, a voter referendum was held to determine whether to keep the existing flag, or to adopt a new flag design removing Confederate elements. Voters opted to keep the existing flag by nearly a two-to-one margin.

source

North Carolina .....

he current North Carolina state flag was adopted in 1885. It closely resembles the flag adopted in 1861, shortly after North Carolina seceded from the Union. The first date on the flag, May 20, 1775, is the date of the so-called Mecklenburg Declaration, a purported statement of independence from Great Britain that happened in North Carolina, although the exact nature of the declaration is disputed.

source

Tennessee ......,,,

The Tennessee Legislature adopted the current flag in 1905. In a 2013 article, vexillologist Steven A Knowlton argues that "the Tennessee flag has pragmatic unity with the Confederate flag: both share the element of white stars inside a fimbriated blue charge, and the element of that blue charge on a red field." He also notes a resemblance between the flag's vertical bars and the vertical bar of the third national flag of the Confederacy.
( same link as above )

I will not deny that all the flags can be traced back to confederate history . Keyword in that statement is Confederate history. There is no way all the flags can be linked directly to the Confederate battle flag that has been the focal point of this argument because of it's symbolism with racism.

One of the main problems many of us on ATS had with the issue of state flags and the Confederacy was that this was only the beginning . We found it offensive and predicted a march on other symbols from the Civil War .

There are already Calls being issued for removal of these other flags . The calls have not gained steam yet, but the process is ongoing . So I have a question for the people who wanted the Confederate battle flag removed from South Carolina because of the symbolism that flag link towards racial hatred .

Are these other flags OK or would you like to have them censured also ?

edit on 11-7-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Wait . Cant use Georgia for that one. That is our NEW one. We dropped the old Confederate Flag and the people of our state voted that one in....

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Wait . Cant use Georgia for that one. That is our NEW one. We dropped the old Confederate Flag and the people of our state voted that one in....

Lol

Are you saying it was approved by voter referendum? That is normally when an attack is mounted shortly after liberals don't get their way .

link   

I think one by one, all flags other than the US flag will be banned. And all books about that, any speech on the subject, consumer goods, etc.

Shazam, history rewritten.

And a whole new precedent set. They are eventually after these and their historical significance, too.

After all its just another flag.
edit on 11-7-2015 by intrptr because: additional

link   
Ban them all LOL dont matter to me, racism is just racism and has no place in 2015.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I think one by one, all flags other than the US flag will be banned. And all books about that, any speech on the subject, consumer goods, etc.

Shazam, history rewritten.

And a whole new precedent set.

That is exactly why I made this thread . Watch somebody will come along and claim racism again while excluding that there was an actual war fought and people died for reasons including state rights .

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Ban them all LOL dont matter to me, racism is just racism and has no place in 2015.

Well by God here's one now .

These flags are linked to a moment in our history that should be remembered. The Confederate battle flag I agree was linked to racism by many people .

Would you care to point out the direct link to racism on the state flag of Florida ?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

That is exactly why I made this thread . Watch somebody will come along and claim racism again while excluding that there was an actual war fought and people died for reasons including state rights .

Not surprising. The US does that abroad under the false banner of war on terror.

We know thats BS, too.

Frog pond temperature just rose another degree.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Ignorance is ignorance........

I suppose when the pendulum of power swings the other direction , you will have no issue when they start banning things you dont approve of? You do know letting the ball roll in this direction opens up the same sort of things for people you might not agree with right?

Youd be wonderful in China or NK as much as you are a proponent of gov wielding the hammer so recklessly
edit on 7/11/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There is some evidence that the Cross of Burgundy was the original inspiration of the Alabama and Florida's State Flag.

Burgundy Cross Flag 1506-1785(Spain)

I am from Florida and would be very supportive if the State Flag was given the more traditional Burgundy Cross look.
edit on 11-7-2015 by jrod because: change pic

edit on 11-7-2015 by jrod because: need coffee

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So haven't had enough of the flags. I saw that article and thought it was BS. Those flags aren't confederate flags, (except for Mississippi) but if you like to think so that's okay by me. Anything with red and white is a confederate flag, now? Baloney.
edit on 7/11/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
There is some evidence that the Cross of Burgundy was the original inspiration of the Alabama and especially Florida's State Flag.

Burgundy Cross Flag 1506-1785(Spain)

I am from Florida and would be very supportive if the State Flag was given the more traditional Burgundy Cross look.

Again I can see your point. But the whole reason for the Confederate battle flag removal is it's symbolic direct link to racism . The examples given are Roofs picture with it, KKK using it and neo-Nazis using it . It was brought out into the public eye for these examples .

While I agree there may be reason to use the same case on the Mississippi flag. The other six showed no direct correlation to the Confederate battle flag. Anyone supporting removal of the other six flags will have to come out of hiding and admit their true motivation. Is that they are attempting to censor a entire event in American history .

People made their point about the Confederate battle flag and it has been excepted. My question is will the March continue on all other mementos of the Civil War ?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
six flags flew over Texas, then they made a theme park...

Maybe thats what the South East needs?

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Well, I'm convinced. All these flags are racist. We should ban them all. As a matter of fact, we should ban all the people who fly such flags. That's right, we'll just kick out the southern states from the US and make them survive as their own country, that'll show 'em! ...wait...
edit on 11-7-2015 by sine.nomine because: Fat fingers

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
six flags flew over Texas, then they made a theme park...

Maybe thats what the South East needs?

Actually the Constitution is specific about monarchy. Maybe your avatar should be removed because it offends people ? Lol

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
There is a distinct difference between Alabama and Florida flags versus the other 5 states listed. As you wrote it is only Mississippi's flag that clearly displays the CSA battleflag.

While I agree that the 'dixie cross' has become a symbol of hate for many, I just believe it should be noted that Alabama and Florida's Flags have different origins that many are unaware of.
edit on 11-7-2015 by jrod because: a

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

originally posted by: Gothmog

Lol

Are you saying it was approved by voter referendum? That is normally when an attack is mounted shortly after liberals don't get their way .

Now we gotta design more.Pick the best ones from them again.And then hold another vote. Sigh......

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The great news is you guys can stick it to the man by buying the confederate flag made in china, thats gonna show the world how important this issue is to real americans.

Grats on winning another big one lol

edit on 11-7-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Still a Texican but not in Texas these days :p

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Lets end this once and for all . Lets pick 52 colors randomly. Place them in a hat. Let each governor from each state pick a color from the hat. That color will be the state flag. No design , no other color. A state flag of solid color that they drew from the hat....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join