It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Sun Will "Go to Sleep" in 2030, Could Cause Temperatures to Plummet

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
WHAT?

I've got at least a decade of riding out a mini ice age?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The oil-swilling climate change deniers must be agog with such news. It will give them an excuse to keep driving their 1-mile-per-gallon F750's 500m down the road to pick up triple patty, sextuple cheese, greaseball burgers and super duper sized soft drinks, and then to return home to watch infomercials about how to lose weight without exercise or healthy eating!

YAY FOR HELL FREEZING OVER!!

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Confusing isn't it? Is the climate warming? Is it cooling? Or, is it just naturally fluctuating in temperature?

Personally, I have followed the dire warnings of climate change since the early seventies, and never truly questioned the alarmist's dire prophecies, but since the nineties I have.

There is absolutely no doubt that our species can change the ability of environments to sustain life. We can and do alter environments that have fatal consequences on life and local climate effects. Nature does it, too. Animals have undergone natural extinction events and disappeared off the face of the planet. Apart from some bacteria and viruses, man is the only life form that can alter the consequence of natural and man-made changes to the environment.

As an example, let's just take one man-made event to illustrate our capacity to alter an healthy environment into one toxic to life. The Deep Water Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico aptly illustrates just how deadly our species can be to an evironment. Of course, we are all looking for evidence of a 'global impact' and not a local one where the rest of the world is more or less shielded from a disaster's effects. As long as negative effects are occurring locally, we tend to view it as an unlucky occurrence, and life goes on. Our concern is only for negative events that hit globally at the same time, affecting all environments from local to global level in the same instant.

Such events might be nuclear war, continuous global volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, ocean and sea level rises, virus outbreak, cometary impacts, severe solar radiance reduction leading to a colder earth. All of these could potentially cause global effects that reduce the environment's capacity to sustain life. Man's greatest 'negative' capacity is to make the environment either toxic or useless to life, and with his carbon footprint, contribute to greenhouse effects in some way.

The so-called 'Maunder Minimums' are not (I believe) caused by any impact man might have made. These short cooler trends are natural variations, however, we cannot say for certain that our carbon footprint won't contribute adversely to the effects. Undergoing winters like that in the 1650's and the 1770's and the 1850's would cause serious negative impact upon our technological societies, particularly where transport is concerned. If food and essential goods cannot be delivered to towns and villages in the quantities we are used to due to snow and ice and severe weather, society starts to strain pretty quickly.

Our developed societies are structured on fine tuning. As long as the electricity and gas and water and food remain available we are happy enough to comply with society's structure and laws, but if they become intermittent or stopped altogether for a length of time, we turn Darwinian in our attitudes to one another pretty quickly.

Natural climate variance occurs very slowly, allowing life time to adapt to the changes. However, some natural occurrences happen rapidly, like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but tend to be only locally affective. Other natural events can cause instantaneous effects of devastation on a global scale, such as cometary and solar impacts. What we are doing is making our environments toxic, not only to other life forms, but to ourselves. The toxicity is still being held at local level, but is spreading around the world. We are adding to the rise in global temperature, because local effects in local environments are overlapping and joining together, doubling their size and intensity. We are reaching saturation points, and that is when it is too late for us to act. We will just have to ride out the adjustment the best we can.
edit on 12/7/15 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
So, if we start into a mini ice age, will the AGW people urge me to burn coal and tickle cows to make them belch and fart?
Or will they find a way to blame cooling on my previous cow tickling?

They'll still need to take your income away, so they'll find a new axe to grind so they can demand a global tax.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: butcherguy
So, if we start into a mini ice age, will the AGW people urge me to burn coal and tickle cows to make them belch and fart?
Or will they find a way to blame cooling on my previous cow tickling?

They'll still need to take your income away, so they'll find a new axe to grind so they can demand a global tax.

In my debates with Phage and the AGW's on this site i have been pointing out that they constantly ignore the car that runs on water that cracks it for H2 on demand that MTSU in Murfreesboro TN built. The car that went across the USA two years or so back that we all heard blerbs in the news is STILL being ignored. THAT speaks volumes when you consider the taxation thing is in the mix. Who profits of course is big Oil and Al Gore's circle of friends. He was at MTSU when this H2 car was first making the news too and i emailed him several times as i am an Environmental Scientist by trade.. I smell rats in this whole deal.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
This whole climate thing is getting really hard to keep up with ?

That's kind of the point. The public is deluged with theories and "accurate" models until the people have absolutely no clue what to do about anything, so they just do whatever they're told.

After all these decades of contrasting predictions by the Climate Change/Global Warming/Global Cooling community, It's starting to look like we should all just listen to good ol' Miss Cleo.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
All we have to do is increase output of fossil fuels and greenhouse gases to the levels that would retain enough heat to keep us warm but not enough so that it wouldn't dissipate in ten years. Ice age problem solved!

And who said greenhouse gases couldn't save the world?!

Maybe this is why big companies are fighting climate change regulations. What would be hilarious would be if humans were encouraged to pollute like crazy in preparation for this. Sounds like a good movie premise. You have folks polluting to avoid a mini age age, and it causes both to happen at the same time so you have the ice caps melt, worldwide flooding, etc, THEN you have the mini ice age regardless. That would suck.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Insects. Everyone will be eating insects.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexJowls

It will give them an excuse to keep driving their 1-mile-per-gallon F750's 500m down the road to pick up triple patty, sextuple cheese, greaseball burgers and super duper sized soft drinks,

damn right with bacon on it. then leave the parking lot with tires squealing and smoke boiling.
and those of us that drive the "F750's 500m" don't give a sh@@ about our weight, it is what it is.

so you can either Get In,Sit Down, Hold On , or Shut The _____ Up.

edit on 12-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Greathouse

People don't realize that climates change. Antarctica was once green. Now it's not.

Pinko liberal drivel. Everything is exactly as it was when earth was created 6,000 years ago.

Kidding, of course, but what bugs me about the whole not-debate is that people are so focused on the political nonsense of climate change that nobody seems to care about what is happening. Personally, i don't care if reality tv is the cause, if the climate/weather is out of whack, let's figure out what its doing and how we're going to deal with it. Nevermind the Al Gores & Pat Robertsons.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Larry Niven wrote an interesting novel along these lines a while back called "Fallen Angels." The basic premise is that the luddites win the environmental debate, most forms of technological advancement and current industry are banned to save the environment and the remaining scientists who are not imprisoned flee to live on orbiting space stations.

A second ice age comes and the luddites blame the technology even more and even more technology is banned and even literature that supports technology such as science fiction is banned.

The scientists in orbit use small orbital vehicles to scoop out atmosphere and essential gasses the stations needs to replenish. There is a malfunction and some astronauts crash land and are on the run, hunted down by the environmentalists and are hidden by an "underground railroad" of science fiction fans.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We are in a 30 year minimum solar output.
The Winters will be very cold and Summers not so warm and have been for several years running
at least up North near me.
a reply to: mobiusmale

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Greathouse

People don't realize that climates change. Antarctica was once green. Now it's not.

That fact has more to do with continental drift than climate change.

The argument of human caused climate change has to do with several factors related to technology. The fact that our climate changes is a given in climatology, the effects of greenhouse gas emissions, "heat island" effect from cities, changes in CO2 scrubbing caused by deforestation and pollution in the ocean affecting plankton and so on and so forth are precisely why the science exists.

In that overwhelming study, everyone seems to have their pet cause and trumpet their knee-jerk reactions. If humans are causing climate change, it's a combination factor that has led to it. I am not a scientist, so I am arguing from a layman perspective. My personal view is that our technology has to have a negative effect. The earth's ecosystem is key to how the climate behaves, as are ocean currents, pack ice and permafrost (to name a few).

I find that people who trumpet that we are fine the way we are are just as short sighted as those who believe we will be dead in 15 years. It should be dead obvious that the sun's activity would also play a major role in the climate of earth - but I am not sure that there is enough direct data to come to a conclusion such as the OP of this thread. It seems like more grasping at straws.
edit on 12-7-2015 by OrdoAdChao because: posted before I was finished

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexJowls
The oil-swilling climate change deniers must be agog with such news. It will give them an excuse to keep driving their 1-mile-per-gallon F750's 500m down the road to pick up triple patty, sextuple cheese, greaseball burgers and super duper sized soft drinks, and then to return home to watch infomercials about how to lose weight without exercise or healthy eating!

YAY FOR HELL FREEZING OVER!!

wow man. you are just plain rude. We are humans. We drive vehicles that operate on combustible gases because there is nothing better and as easy on our wallets. We eat dead cows. We make cheese from that same cows milk. We make our water taste different by adding different ingredients and then drink it.

get over yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
We hell I guess we need to thank all the large carbon foot print people for off setting this, I'll do part too.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Is a Mini Ice Age on the Way? Scientists Warn Sun Will "Go to Sleep" in 2030, Could Cause Temperatures to Plummet

(Montage of images of solar activity between August 1991 and September 2001 taken by the Yohkoh Soft X-ray Telescope)

A new study claims to have cracked predicting solar cycles - and says that between 2030 and 2040 solar cycles will cancel each other out.

This, they say, will lead to a phenomenon known as the 'Maunder minimum' - which has previously been known as a mini ice age when it hit between 1646 and 1715, even causing London's River Thames to freeze over.

The new model of the Sun's solar cycle is producing unprecedentedly accurate predictions of irregularities within the Sun's 11-year heartbeat.

Predictions from the model suggest that solar activity will fall by 60 percent during the 2030s to conditions last seen during the 'mini ice age' that began in 1645, according to the results presented by Prof Valentina Zharkova at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno.
Sources:
www.dailymail.co.uk...
astronomynow.com...
www.ras.org.uk...
www.sciencedaily.com...

It's going to get a might bit chilly around these parts here in another 15 years. Anyone think "global warming" will prevent the next "Maunder minimum"?

Seems that as of right now, the sun is in a state of high activity, which will cause some high temperatures until this current sun cycle ends around 2020.

I guess we'll soon see how truly accurate (97% accuracy they say) these new models actually are.

So...you're saying that if global warming is really happening, we should consider speeding it up to help?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
another computer model, theory, but it won't matter because another theory says September the Earth will be smashed and the theory of global warming
edit on 12-7-2015 by dreadblitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
The deaths caused from hunger during the period called the Little Ice Age gives a clue to the potential damage another LIA will cause. We no longer have the wildlife to feed a hungry world so if the worlds crops fail we could be facing something like a 50% reduction in the worlds population.

Well, we ARE actually facing a much more than 50% reduction in the world's population. In fact, if the demographic trend continues, there will be only 1 billion people left on Earth by 2300. But to go into detail on this would be off topic. I might start a new thread about it sometime.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I think that 6% would be enough to freeze the planet. A 60% drop (Mars gets about 43% as much sun light as Earth) it could drop the temp to over 100*F below zero (Mars gets down to 195*F below zero). So I find it real hard to believe the drop in out out will go that far.

Relative Solar Intensity
Mercury 6.68
Venus 1.913
Earth 1.000
Mars 0.431
Jupiter 0.0369
Saturn 0.0110
Uranus 0.00272
Neptune 0.00111
Pluto 0.00064

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link