It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Declare War On Words 'Husband,' 'Wife'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I was on the internet during the Bush presidency and while what you say is true for the most part, the right has taken it to new extremes during the Obama administration. I've paid attention to politics for a long time and never in my life have I seen one section of a political party become so radicalized that all common sense, facts and logic MUST be thrown out the window in order to participate.

I know it's "PC" to say that the parties are two sides of the same coin, but that is simply not the case. The extreme right wing is in a realm in and of itself that is separated from the real conservative republicans.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It is, by some. Not all. As numerous comments in the thread demonstrate.

I would contend that that's exactly what I did: called a spade a spade.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Can we ban the words Democrat and Republican and start calling them Currupticians ?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i only half believe anything about this, or any other story that exists.

that said: until we get a balanced budget that decreases deficits year over year, they need to sit down, shut up, and get to work.

Pretty much. Flood the media with issues that create divisiveness amongst the population. As we bicker about this person or that person, what's right or wrong or who can fly this flag or who can be here in the country or whatever the issue; keep them preoccupied.

None of that will help fix the problems this country faces. We have a congress that doesn't give a hoot what you or I or anyone else thinks. We have a judicial system out of control and biased. We have money buying the political process and the list goes on.

Meanwhile fingers are pointing everywhere, STOP...the more we concentrate on petty issues, ones that usually divide, it deflects us away from the reality of the core problems we all face; corruption.

So, take it easy, there's bigger fish to fry.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

i only half believe anything about this, or any other story that exists.

that said: until we get a balanced budget that decreases deficits year over year, they need to sit down, shut up, and get to work.

Pretty much. Flood the media with issues that create divisiveness amongst the population. As we bicker about this person or that person, what's right or wrong or who can fly this flag or who can be here in the country or whatever the issue; keep them preoccupied.

None of that will help fix the problems this country faces. We have a congress that doesn't give a hoot what you or I or anyone else thinks. We have a judicial system out of control and biased. We have money buying the political process and the list goes on.

Meanwhile fingers are pointing everywhere, STOP...the more we concentrate on petty issues, ones that usually divide, it deflects us away from the reality of the core problems we all face; corruption.

So, take it easy, there's bigger fish to fry.

Just imagine how effective we could be if we were focused on a singular goal instead of constantly fighting each other.

The majority of people want the same things but we're all being pushed to think otherwise. Get a group of people together in person and they can typically get along fine even if they have a difference of opinion. Instead, we have this notion of "the right" and "the left" who are bitter rivals and could never agree on anything. The illusion is made worse by the anonymity of internet forums where people show their worst side.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

i don't know....but i agree with him. We got bigger fish to fry.

I, personally, love fried fish.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Great. Thanks.

Really. It's Midnight. And now I want Tempura.

Meanie-face.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

i don't know....but i agree with him. We got bigger fish to fry.

I, personally, love fried fish.

Damn it, now I want catfish.

I guess I know what's for lunch.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Rocker2013

I just think it would be nice for people to have their status described in a manner they feel most comfortable with. I have never been fortunate enough to be married, but if I did, I would want the government to refer to my lady in communications, as my wife, not my life partner, spouse, or what have you. Couples should select from a list upon marriage or upon taking up domestic premises, in order that their preferred choices be remembered in communications from the state.

Hmm, I understand your point, it would be nice to have that option.
But, I can also understand how that might lead to all kinds of legal problems down the road if anything were to happen leading to court etc.

I know that even a typo in a legal document can lead to months of litigation, the "translation" and "intent" of a word can lead to the same.

I just think it would probably be better for all if there are non-gender-specific terms agreed for use throughout the land, as this will lead to less opportunity for the law to be abused in the future. Besides, a legal document has no bearing on how you refer to each other.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
I think Orwell was about 40 years off.

Ha!
Seriously?

Man, you people get funnier by the day

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
Ohhh boy !! I need some popcorn to see what other new amendments come out of the USA in wake of the marriage equality act

This slope is getting slippery,

No it's not.
This changes nothing, for you or anyone else.
All it means is that there will probably be legal definitions used in documents to make processing of legal situations easier.

How is this in any way damaging to you or anyone else in society? Please, I would love to know how this is a "slippery slope" to anything other than COMMON SENSE.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Yet another thread where the right takes everything out of context so that they can continue their cry baby, emotional, victim-card tirade.

Is it just me or do many people have reading comprehension issues and a lack of intelligence? I don't know how some people can read this article and come to the conclusions they have.

Well, I do know. They have been brainwashed and are blinded by their political partisanship.

This is getting old.

I think it's because they've ran out of things to be outraged about.
Same sex marriage passed, they lost, the world didn't end, the country didn't collapse, their big omnipotent being didn't rage against the population with floods and swarms of Locusts...

Really, if the simple process of changing legal definitions on documents has them all ranting about the destruction of the nation and "what next?!!!!!" scenarios then I think it's safe to say that common sense is winning.

And to be honest, these people never had much intelligence to begin with. Check out any thread on here and you'll see the same right-wing posters ranting about the same nonsense, without reading the sources, without checking anything for themselves, ignoring the facts when they're pointed out to them...

These people are like Daily Heil readers in the UK, all they want is their five minutes of rage against the "commies". lol

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

This is a bit off topic for sure....but if you own a restaurant in West Texas, and you don't serve an All You Can Eat catfish dinner on Friday night, you won't be in business long.

As a kid i'd look forward to going out with the family on Friday night all week long.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Shamrock6

Is this story not being taken out of context to push a certain demographic to become outraged?

Why can't we call a spade a spade?

Conservative Correctness. Only trash talking the left is justified. When it comes to trash talking the right, you have to admit that the right and left are "equally bad."

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I was raised in Mississippi and the catfish anywhere else just doesn't compare.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013
a reply to: theantediluvian

I agree with both of you. It's pathetic that we cannot even have an honest dialogue in this country because of that sort of mindset and approach.

Unless you follow a specific narrative, you have no place in the discussion.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

What part of this is confusing to you? The wording of many of our laws cannot be properly interpreted without this change. It's actually something I've wondered about for a while and just assumed it would be dealt with each time it came up but this is a far more efficient way of handling it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
For comparison, look at the whole Obamacare kerfluffle that recently was ruled on via the Supreme Court.

All over the wording of the document on what the writers had intended when they wrote the word "State".

Specific wording is incredibly important in legal proceedings. If a document says "wife" and both partners are male, that could lead to all sorts of legal muddying in regards to estate planning, execution of wills, divorce proceedings, etc.

And you bet your britches that a lawyer would jump ALL over that muddy terminology if they thought it would win a case for them.
edit on 10-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: I accidentally some words.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
WTF????

I am convinced "Liberals" suffer from a serious mental condition. Republicans have issues too, I'm not taking anything away from them here either... But "Liberals" are a special kind of stupid, many years of rehab and closely monitored assistance is needed..... I'm not even joking, and that is the sad part. :/

Since when are establishment democrats liberals?

I'm sorry you can't see the difference but I am sure would gladly tell me how all the repubs in there are rinos and not truly conservative.

Love your total generalization and calling those that think differently mentally sick.
30 plus stars too, way to go about denying ignorance .

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

" Could you expand on exactly why? " If he won't , I will . It's Called Perversion .
Homosexuals want people to believe they're born that way.

Mountains of evidence throughout 4000 years indicate they have a Mental Disorder that turns into an Addiction over time.
They represent just 1.6% of the population.
But what kind of fools would want to make the other 98.4 % of the population Restrict their Speech and Deny them the Freedom to Freely Speak their minds?
Answer - A Failed State that is in serious decline both Culturally and Economically.
And this kind of trend is the type that causes violent repercussions by the people to rise up and finally eliminate such nonsense from their society.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join