It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What in God's Name? ...I mean, "is"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
First and foremost PLEASE follow the rules found HERE:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thank you in advance.

This is a Theological question, so those with expertise in that area, I greatly appreciate your insight...
I am writing my 2nd book, in regards to "Spiritual Science," so-to-speak.
In regards specifically to similarities among the world's religions, and (what little) science backs these things up.

I don't know what to call "God," and not offend or alienate anyone!
I have been using "Creator," but I feel that couldl "offend" or "turn off" atheists, and many in the fields of the sciences are atheists.

I would like to add my personal take, as I may or may not include it in the book, on a "Creator," because this title does imply a belief in creationism, and I don't wish to take sides on that issue in this book. I have to admit my views on this have changed drastically in recent years...
Creationism says we were created, as was everything else, and even science is starting to see that it's all a little to perfect of a universe to be a coinkidink. Evolution itself is flawed, because of "missing link." What could it possibly be that they haven't found yet? "God," maybe? I dunno, I could go all History Channel and say "Because Aliens," just as easily, especially on this site. Bottom line is, both theories actually require faith to believe.
There are DNA base molecules found in meteorites that were formed in space, so either way, even NASA admits that we came from "up there" (or at least COULD have.) Again, just my view on it as of late.
www.nasa.gov...

Please feel free to chime in on that if you can do it with a serious perspective, as it's relevant to the fact I'm unsure about using the title "Creator" now...but any advice from Theologians or those with a great understanding of their own religion, and/or others, is appreciated.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

Higher Power or Source!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Oh and it is not necessary to play MOD they will handle their jobs!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Infinite one, infinity...???

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Oh and it is not necessary to play MOD they will handle their jobs!

I hear ya, I just tried to read that "Illuminati Insider letter" 3-thread slaughter of the English language they let ride and got a little concerned.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The basic hebrew name for God is El (spelled: aleph + lamed).

Aleph means might or powerful.
Lamed means Sheppard.

So maybe use Mighty Sheppard, unless you thing God is withdrawn from His creation.

Or, if you would like to include a creative quality, why not "Creator-Sheppard"?
edit on 26-6-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Yes, but that's only, as you stated, "the Hebrew Name."
There are over a billion Buddhists on the planet, for one example. It's ridiculous to them out of discussions on "the worlds' major religions" simply because they aren't "Abrahamic."
I'm trying to be as all-inclusive as possible.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
In his Bible translation, Ferrar Fenton used the title "the Ever Living."

Also, see my sig, but that may be too cryptic...well, I mean that "YHVH," which is so often rendered "I AM" has a different meaning if we look at the meaning of the letters in terms of the very ancient pictographic letter meanings, means "Behold the Hand, Behold the Nail," which I see as a reference to Jesus the Christ.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

"Redeemer" . even from the law of entropy .

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wonderful

Counselor

The Mighty God

The Everlasting Father

The Prince of Peace

[Isaiah 9:6]

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
God has many titles but no name. Who named you....your parents. God has no parents....(he) was first. Creator is a good title or the alpha and omega.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Texcin

Well said.
Now I'm looking at it more like, all religions look to a "higher power" (even Masons and other groups say one only need believe in that, whatever you call it,) or "creator," and I guess scientifically speaking, or if one were atheist, they would say "there is/isn't evidence of a Creator" because of it's relation to the idea that God was first then created us. Ok.
Even Native American, African, and other tribal groups agree on that. I guess I'm sticking with that.
Thanks for replies tho, all!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Here is the link with the answer.

LINK

I also think this video should help you as well

edit on 26-6-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
El is quite possibly one of the oldest, if not, the original name for God. It appears in the Phoenician manuscripts, the Paleo-Hebrew, Proto-Canaanite, Ugaritic,etc. Rather than trying to be all inclusive, why not be historically accurate? From the Semitic tribes to the Egyptians and Hittites, all of the oldest tribes can be traced back to El. After all, you said that your book was about finding the common thread linking world religions.

If there is an older name than El, then I would go with that and its meaning.

edit on 26-6-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I like to refer to the concept of God as "the original" because I like to think we all came from something. This means far enough back we all were one. "the ultimate" "the supreme" are good terms that leave loose boundaries for interpretation!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Please feel free to chime in on that if you can do it with a serious perspective, as it's relevant to the fact I'm unsure about using the title "Creator" now...but any advice from Theologians or those with a great understanding of their own religion, and/or others, is appreciated.

The number of gods and goddesses who are not creators is much greater than the number of gods who are.

As humans gradually began to learn the skills of hunting, agriculture, brickmaking, etc. the World existed already. The humans viewed the gods as the ones from whom the skills were learned. It probably wasn't until astrology and writing contributed together that stories began to be written of cosmic battles with primordial chaos brought about the stories of the sorting out of the elements (sky,earth,ocean,rivers,springs,mountains) into the World as they knew it.

The earliest religions, such as Sumerian date to the 3000s BC. Most Western Religions, eg. Hittite, Trojan, Greek, Roman, followed the same pattern of gods as sorters of chaos.

Still, there was no god who created out of nothing until Amun of Egypt (16th to 11th centuries BC) held the position of transcendental, self-created creator deity "par excellence", then Ahura Mazda (sometimes placed 1000 BC but well established by 550 BC). Then the Hebrew people, whose tribal god was indistinguishable from Baal, eventually developed their god further by borrowing attributes from Amun, Baal, El, Enki, Marduk, and Ahura Mazda.

Say, three different creator gods who came much later than the vast number of not creator gods and goddesses.

I don't think modern spirituality (reincarnation and/or resurrection) have much to do with much older human spirituality (talking to ancestors, or gods mediated through priests or sacred shrines in sacred places).

Father Sky, Queen of Heaven, Holy Wind, Great Mother
edit on 26-6-2015 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
No matter how hard you try not to, you're going to offend someone, so pick a generic name and run with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Maybe in the forward to your book, explain the conundrum you've had with nomenclature in such an expansive subject matter. Briefly mention the names given to God by the world's major religions, then for sake of brevity, tell your audience, what YOU intend to refer to Him as in your book. From that point forward, if someone is offended, that's their problem, not yours.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Female Goddess worship is far older than el.

OP I'd go with 'IT'

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Can you give an example of goddess worship before El?
edit on 26-6-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join