It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Lee From “Dukes of Hazzard” Losing Its Confederate Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Actor and former Congressman Ben Jones defended the Confederate flag as a legitimate symbol of southern heritage in an interview today with CNN’s Ashleigh Banfield.

A Democrat, Jones portrayed Cooter Davenport on the original Dukes of Hazzard hit TV show (not the more recent Jessica Simpson movie) which ran on CBS television from 1979 to 1985. He is currently chairman of the Sons of Confederate Veterans heritage operations.

In the 1990s, Jones served four years in the U.S. House of Representatives representing Georgia’s 4th Congressional District.

www.inquisitr.com... ben-jones-aka-cooter-from-the-dukes-of-hazzard-defends-confederate-flag-video/

Ben Jones owns a market about 50 min away from me called "Cooters". It's like a Dukes of Hazard
Museum. Someone I know went there last weekend for her birthday & she said Ben was there watching
old videos with a bunch of kids.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf
a reply to: Kromlech

Oh ffs..I really hate the PC crowd... Yet another piece of my childhood memories gone.

Oh boohoo. For one, if it is so important, go buy the tv series on dvd and watch it. You can see the General Lee to your hearts content. For two, the PC crowd didn't push them to do this. This was a decision the Dukes of Hazzard made on its own.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

The first amendment isn't under attack. No one is legislating that you can't be racist or display the flag. These people are removing the flag voluntarily.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Maybe we are looking at the situation in the wrong way. I mean if a red, white, and blue design consisting of stars and stripes is offensive then why not change it to just a giant hand presenting the middle digit in a one finger salute? Seems like that wouldn't ruffle as many feathers. They could even put a black hand on it, should that make a difference, so its less offensive and more inclusive.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Who cares? Seriously

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

EXACTLY! Bunch of whiners in this thread complaining because a company is trying to get ahead of the will of the market.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
the PC crowd didn't push them to do this.

If anyone influenced them to remove the flag from their merchandise, it was Dylann Roof...

Seems some people think freedom is great until someone FREELY makes a decision they disagree with... Then it's a "witch hunt" or "political correctness"... or some other nonsense.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Its another knee jerk reaction to be politically correct in this nation of thin skinned cry babies. Jump on the PC bandwagon or be branded by those in power, or those in the media as racist or backwards or illiterate or any of the other derogatory terms I have seen applied to the south in the past week. Reading most reports on the south and you would think we are all huddling together in our shacks, barefoot, drinking moonshine and spitting tobacco and reminiscing about the war that happened that we should have won.

You know what? Frankly I am sick of it. I have lived in the south my whole life. I have gone to many civil war battlefields, they are mostly well maintained, its tranquil, and its a harsh reminder of what happens when two sides refuse to listen to each other. Its history. Removing parts of it from viewing is the first step to removing and rewriting history.

I read this morning they are wanting to rename parks, streets and schools that are named after anything to do with the confederate war, even going as far as to remove the word "memorial" from memorials. No matter what you think the civil war was fought about, or how you feel when you see the confederate flag, it was two sides with different viewpoints killing each other. All war is brutal, but this was brother against brother, family killing family. A great divide through the country, very similar to what they are trying to push now. A divide. Division.

What will be the next revision of history? The trail of tears? Smallpox blankets given to natives to kill them? WWII? 9-11?

Oh wait, those facts are already changing and being ignored.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I just see more ignorance of the First Amendment on display. You know for how often ATS complains about the government coming to take our rights, you'd think they'd be better educated as to what the rights actually entail.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
How sad and stupid. Oddly enough, I had the General Lee and Bo Duke at my birthday party when I was 7. Will never forget that one! I loved this show as a kid. It aired on my Birthday so my folks thought it would be cool to have them at the party and they were right....it was AWESOME! Got to go for a ride too...sooooo coooool!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Is this the show where they didn't fix the car door so had to scoot across the bonet before shimming-in the car sideways? and the fat cop that could stop eating chicken with the deputy who was a 6-pack short of a carton, and that hottie Daisy god bless her legs?

never even noticed the flag on the roof until now.

BTW cars can't jump over rivers like that.

Awesome V8 though - wish I had one.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

People are CLEARLY not educated on their rights OR on this issue. They think someone "forced" DoH to remove the flag, that it's illegal to fly, that free speech is being challenged, that the flag has been "banned", and that history is being erased or changed...

All I'm hearing is rhetoric and FOX news talking points. I can't believe how people eat that # up!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

those doors were welded shut so they didnt fly open when they were in the middle of their bad assery

i always thought that show sucked but the car was the tits. minus the lame ass flag of course

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I've seen TONS of revisionist history from people defending that flag. It's getting disgusting.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Look everyone - the swastika of the 21st century!

This is getting to be a little nuts if you ask me.....

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: tnhiker
Its another knee jerk reaction to be politically correct in this nation of thin skinned cry babies. Jump on the PC bandwagon or be branded by those in power, or those in the media as racist or backwards or illiterate or any of the other derogatory terms I have seen applied to the south in the past week. Reading most reports on the south and you would think we are all huddling together in our shacks, barefoot, drinking moonshine and spitting tobacco and reminiscing about the war that happened that we should have won.

You know what? Frankly I am sick of it. I have lived in the south my whole life. I have gone to many civil war battlefields, they are mostly well maintained, its tranquil, and its a harsh reminder of what happens when two sides refuse to listen to each other. Its history. Removing parts of it from viewing is the first step to removing and rewriting history.

I read this morning they are wanting to rename parks, streets and schools that are named after anything to do with the confederate war, even going as far as to remove the word "memorial" from memorials. No matter what you think the civil war was fought about, or how you feel when you see the confederate flag, it was two sides with different viewpoints killing each other. All war is brutal, but this was brother against brother, family killing family. A great divide through the country, very similar to what they are trying to push now. A divide. Division.

What will be the next revision of history? The trail of tears? Smallpox blankets given to natives to kill them? WWII? 9-11?

Oh wait, those facts are already changing and being ignored.

This right here.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

EXACTLY! Bunch of whiners in this thread complaining because a company is trying to get ahead of the will of the market.

Can you point out where this horrible reminder of hate was being discussed as such last month? How about last year? Several years ago?

It's what we like to call a knee jerk reaction. But I am sure this time it's the right one. (they usually are)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: irishhaf

Oh ffs..I really hate the PC crowd... Yet another piece of my childhood memories gone.

Oh boohoo. For one, if it is so important, go buy the tv series on dvd and watch it. You can see the General Lee to your hearts content. For two, the PC crowd didn't push them to do this. This was a decision the Dukes of Hazzard made on its own.

Let's be honest here. This is not a decision Warner Brothers made on their own - it's a result of a perceived groundswell from a very vocal minority (majority?), which is a result of the SC incident. Had the incident never happened, they would have never done this, because it wouldn't be a good business decision. The US is a very reactive country and, in the end, it's all about public perception, especially for a company. For Warner Brothers, this was a business decision to quell any negative public perception.
edit on 24-6-2015 by redtic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

New issue?

This article is from 2013
Confederate flag controversy and NAACP boycott resurface amid talk of football bowl game in Charleston

There was also the South Carolina Heritage Act of 2000 which made the flag be removed from the capitol dome itself. As someone who has friends in Charleston, this was a BIG to do then. So that's 1999.

But hey, there's always the case that the flag was likely raised in defiance of federal desegregation laws some 50 years ago.
This Is Why South Carolina Raised the Confederate Flag in the First Place

Seems to me that this discussion is one that we like to sweep under the rug instead of really addressing. So maybe these reactions are WELL overdue.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: redtic

That matters little. Warner Brothers doesn't dictate the opinion of its viewers, but if it wants its content to continue to sell, it needs to stay on top of viewer wants. That is just good business.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join