It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Sings to Child to Distract Her From Fatal Accident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I, like many others who frequent this site get wrapped up in what's wrong with society, our governments and those who govern or enforce governance. Sometimes it's better to embrace the beauty of a hero regardless of our biases.

Being a father of two, when I came across this story this morning it damn near brought tears to my eyes. It is a scary thought just imagining your children being caught in such a horrible situation but sadly these things are a reality.

For the sake of this thread I will refrain from judgement as to why none of the children were in child seats let alone not restrained. I do however wish to discuss the officers fatherly instincts to protect the child from having something like this imprinted deep into their subconscious. No doubt the actions of this police officer saved this child more trauma than she needs and although her life will be forever impacted by this tragedy I still commend this officers actions.

In the photo Officer Nick Struck can be seen tending to a young girl while others on the scene worked to save the individuals who were thrown from the vehicle. Six people were ejected when the car rolled over. The victims included the child’s father, one woman and four children.

“When you hear that there are children involved, I’ll tell you what, everyone that responds to that scene, you get that pit in your stomach,” Officer Struck told KUSA. “The first thing we do when we get on scene is we just try to, if we can comfort anybody, of course we’re going to go to the kids.”

Officer Struck said he has a two-year-old daughter, and he just did what he would want someone else to do for her.

“I have a two-year-old daughter and she’s my first kid,” Officer Struck told 9 News. “So of course, your first thought is that could be your little daughter. I’m not a medical person, but I know how to give a hug to somebody, and you better believe every one of those officers on scene would do the same thing.”

Source

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Such a sad story about the family. What a great thing that officer did. I would hope the same would happen for my children if an accident like this ever happened with us. Human compassion is what people need to show more of to our young ones. Unfortunately most grow up without having parents around because they are always working or too busy. At least this guy has his head on straight and is one of the good people out there.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: rosinitiate

Many many people would do the same or more than this LEO did.

Without destroying the law and the country with their perverted "entitlements".

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Actually I think many more people would have driven on by filming it and putting it on youtube than would have done what this officer did. Seems to be the norm these days. Everyone LOVES to watch a slow train wreck, now they like to film it for everyone else to see too.

What is it with you? OP brings a heartfelt story of an officer helping a young child in a horrible wreck and you use that to complain about your lopsided agenda with LEO's? That's messed up.
edit on 6/23/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Actually I think many more people would have driven on by filming it and putting it on youtube than would have done what this officer did. Seems to be the norm these days. Everyone LOVES to watch a slow train wreck, now they like to film it for everyone else to see too.

What is it with you? OP brings a heartfelt story of an officer helping a young child in a horrible wreck and you use that to complain about your lopsided agenda with LEO's? That's messed up.

I have stopped at two major accidents and one involved multiple deaths. It certainly isn't for the faint at heart but I agree most at best, would simply rubberneck.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: rosinitiate

I have stopped at two major accidents and one involved multiple deaths. It certainly isn't for the faint at heart but I agree most at best, would simply rubberneck.

Yeah...I helped pull a lady from her car once around 1996 or 1997. I was right behind her when she wrecked and her car started heavily smoking when I and another driver stopped since we saw the wreck happen. Went to the window and she was out cold....back before airbags were in all cars and she didn't have one. We saw the fire under the hood and had to pry her door open with our hands. Stayed for the ambulance to arrive and give a statement then called later to find out what hospital she was in and visited with flowers.....she was very thankful we were there. She had a broken leg and hip and multiple fractures to her face.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Wow, I hate to hear about the fatalities and such a horrible crash, but im glad this officer knew how to distract and calm down the little girl. so sad for the family, RIP

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I was involved in a horrible accident, and I found it rather obscene as the line of cars crawled by to see cell phones and video cameras pointed out of nearly every car that went by. I don't recall anyone stopping to assist, other than LEO and EMS.

That's not "normal", to be sure - most accident scenes, prior to "official" assistance arriving, people stop to help - I have on multiple occasions. Most people, given the opportunity, will attempt to help others in need.

Parenthetically, many people in emergency services - EMS, LEO, ED doctors, etc - often suffer from empathy burn-out, and it's hard to blame them for it - it's the nature of what they're exposed to, day-in, day-out. But while this is a nice example of compassion, people shouldn't believe this officer was somehow unusual - most people choose those professions *because* they want to help others. But those are difficult jobs - basically, when you encounter them, it might be the worst day of your life. For their part, they see people on the worst days of their lives, multiple times, each and every day. The emotional toll on them is tremendous, and should cut them some slack.

While I'm at it, I should mention, if you have no medical training, should you encounter an accident, resist the temptation to move the victims, unless it's under extreme circumstances, like the car's on fire or they have an arterial/spurting bleed - you can, and probably will cause more harm than good.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Children are the great unifier . All bets are off when they are involved. Prejudiced is set aside, social injustice is set aside, standing in society is set aside, hatred is set aside. They are the number one concern to any adult they are innocent and they hold our future and people will and should go to the extraordinary lengths to protect them .
edit on 23-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Thats why we carry small stuffed animals in our Er vehicles and our personal cars....to calm and distract them. You never know what you'll come up on.

$ store ones serve the purpose well. Everyone. should carry a couple.

MS
EMT/ERT
edit on 23-6-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Its always the ONE idiot thats gotta be the downer Vasa.
OP, GREAT story S&F

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

My heart filled with pride for the humanity of this officer's actions. He should receive high praise for this. A tragic reason but a beautiful act of compassion.

Officer Struck, you are a wonderful human being.

~beannacht

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I can't imagine anyone not being touched by such a bittersweet story. Just the title got me misty-eyed. It's stories like this that humanize the police and though very tragic should prove to people that this man is the norm, not the exception. We should be grateful that men like this are capable of dealing with the terrible things they witness everyday and are still able to go home at night and function as a father, husband, son, brother then go out the next day and see more tragedy. My hat is off to you, sir.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
A lot of cops carry stuffed animals in the trunk (that they purchase) in case a child needs comfort. It's easy to forget they're people too, but they are, and touching stories like this happen far more often than those about brutality. You just don't hear about them.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm shocked this hasn't received more commentary but guess because of it being so tear inducing. There's light within the growing corruption that deserves to shine though and overtake the wrong things that are going on. Reward the positive. He deserves honor.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I carry a raggedy old teddy bear in my car. It's as old as I am. I found it when I was going through some family stuff a few years back...it was given to me by my Grandma when I was born.

It's there mostly because I'm too lazy to take it out...

But I think it'll stay there now...

His name is Pooh. Imaginative, I know...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I like reading/hearing about people who have compassion for others.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Actually I think many more people would have driven on by filming it and putting it on youtube than would have done what this officer did. Seems to be the norm these days. Everyone LOVES to watch a slow train wreck, now they like to film it for everyone else to see too..

My husband was a volunteer firefighter and also a trained EMT. I was not. But when we see someone stranded on the side of the road or even the vehicle on fire that we seen going through Atlanta GA several years ago from AL to NC we always think at the same time and say almost the same time ( I tend to say it first because I am more "emotional" I suppose) stop and help. My kids know not to rubber neck. I taught them injury and possibly death is not something to see or take any kind of amusement or joy in seeing. Many people do I agree. But not all. And some are trained that stop.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Mysticeyez because: did not post how I thought it would with quotes

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Believe it or not this happens a lot, here in London, in the Met, there are many stories that I could tell you of officers doing similar things. I can also tell you of officers who have broken down at fatal traffic accident scenes, at murder scenes etc taken their own life after working on a string of harrowing cases. Police Officers are human, at the forefront of fighting against the very negative of human behaviour, but they are mothers, fathers, sons and daughters. They like doing what everyone else enjoys, but they are also hit hard by what they do, what they see. It's not unusual for an officer to end their shift in tears at something so very awful that they have had to deal with and its generally when it happens to children. There are images that people on here have only seen in films, that coppers have seen in real life and that image, that feeling, it never goes. Nothing is more tragic than any crime or incident involving children, as a father myself, it really f***s me up and so if an officer attends a scene involving children, there is not one officer I've ever known to not want to do something to ease the trauma.

There are officers out there that are trash, that don't care, that are just power mad fools and in my opinion total scum...Honestly, they are few and far between, really truthfully and I wish people would see that. Police officers are human and on every shift, the vast majority just want to protect, at all cost.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Thanks for posting that. Often there are many more negative posts on law enforcement. We need both.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join