It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials Demand ‘Digital Magna Carta’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Here is a news item all of ATS ought to care about:

The British Library recently conducted a survey with about 3,000 participants with the purpose of creating a digital “Magna Carta” for the Internet age, resulting in a top ten list of declarations for the World Wide Web.

Roughly 500 stipulations were conceived by the surveyed group, ages 10-18.

The biggest ultimatum given was for the Internet to be free from control of governments or corporate entities.

The top ten declarations read:

The Web we want will not let companies pay to control it, and not let governments restrict our right to information
The Web we want will allow freedom of speech
The Web we want will be free from government censors in all countries
The Web we want will not allow any kind of government censorship
The Web we want will be available for all those who wish to use it
The Web we want will be free from censorship and mass surveillance
The Web we want will allow equal access to knowledge, information and current news worldwide
The Web we want will have freedom of speech
The Web we want will not be censored by the government
The Web we want will not sell our personal information and preferences for money, and will make it clearer if the company/Website intends to do so.

"Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, has shown support for the project throughout. ' It's important for young people to think about the future now, when we are deciding what sort of a future it will be.' ”

source: cointelegraph.com...

I want my Digital Magna Carta!

edit on 17-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Here is a news item all of ATS ought to care about

Why, exactly?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Because governments who control information control people. All the way back to Egypt, and probably far earlier. Of course, we are't talking about "magick" like mathematics. This is the ability to communicate and share information.

From the perspective of an American, its all First amendment issues. The internet is more "speech" than money, and should be protected to maintain it as "free" (not of cost...surcharges for access are likely the only way to support techological growth, for now anyway).

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Because there are attempts to control access to information? ...and if we aren't willing to stand up and say something about it when govt. and/or corporate tries to do so? Well then, we deserve exactly what we're going to get.

Which is a society that knows only what we're told we need to know.

If people want to make the choice of not knowing? Fine, that's their business. But to not have it out there to be found? Not so fine.

That's why.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Why, exactly?

Do you always react in an opposite fashion to the people around you? You're bio reads "Mind Firmly Closed" so I assume you fancy yourself a contrarian (opposing or rejecting popular opinion) or what my people call "Heyoka".

Heyókȟa are thought of as being backwards-forwards, upside-down, or contrary in nature. It was manifest by doing things backwards or unconventionally — riding a horse backwards, wearing clothes inside-out, or speaking in a backwards language. For example, if food were scarce, a heyókȟa would sit around and complain about how full he was; during a baking hot heat wave a heyókȟa would shiver with cold and put on gloves and cover himself with a thick blanket.

en.wikipedia.org...

Why ask why? Obviously, to force others to think. Bravo.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
They need to clean up the language.

How many times do they have to say censor?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
why were the participants age 10-18? do they seriously think that the majority of internet users fall within that range? i think thats unfair and a testament to the integrity of this project.

but hey, making a magna carta for the internet, thats a joke to begin with. probably 95% of the worlds worst crime happens on/through it. no exaggeration. i have had arguments with friends about how the dude who invented the "deep web" is just as bad as hitler.
edit on 17-6-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

Why, exactly?

Do you always react in an opposite fashion to the people around you? You're bio reads "Mind Firmly Closed" so I assume you fancy yourself a contrarian (opposing or rejecting popular opinion) or what my people call "Heyoka".

Heyókȟa are thought of as being backwards-forwards, upside-down, or contrary in nature. It was manifest by doing things backwards or unconventionally — riding a horse backwards, wearing clothes inside-out, or speaking in a backwards language. For example, if food were scarce, a heyókȟa would sit around and complain about how full he was; during a baking hot heat wave a heyókȟa would shiver with cold and put on gloves and cover himself with a thick blanket.

en.wikipedia.org...

Why ask why? Obviously, to force others to think. Bravo.

Cool "Heyoka" from the Lakota. Three cheers for you & your people!

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

...making a magna carta for the internet, thats a joke to begin with. probably 95% of the worlds worst crime happens on/through it. no exaggeration. i have had arguments with friends about how the dude who invented the "deep web" is just as bad as hitler.

Hyperbole much?

"95% of the world worst crimes" (you say)?

poppycock (I say)

"Deep web inventor bad as Hitler" (you say)?

hog wash (I say)

Let's hear another another one of your obtuse
exaggerations, they are quite amusing.

edit on 17-6-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That's all fine and good, but this is a poll of 3,000 high schoolers being asked what they want from the future. Obviously they're going to parrot what they read and hear on the internet.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Do you always react in an opposite fashion to the people around you?

I don't react, I make considered responses.

Yes, they are often different from the responses of other people around me. People are mostly ignorant and full of self-serving emotions and prejudices that prevent them from seeing reality as it is. Most of what the world believes is a lie, and that includes every conspiracy theory I've ever heard of.

I am a member of a very tiny slice of mankind: those who strive to look reality in the eye without flinching, and to accept it all just as it is.

Why ask why? Obviously, to force others to think.

You have correctly divined my motivation — or one of them, at least.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Sadly , it will turn out to be the Top 10 things that they won't get.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That's all fine and good, but this is a poll of 3,000 high schoolers being asked what they want from the future. Obviously they're going to parrot what they read and hear on the internet.

Which is why it's important that speech is not restricted by governments and corporations.

I would prefer students had the opportunity to "parrot" a broad range of information.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FlapdoodleStork

Which is why it's important that speech is not restricted by governments and corporations.

Are you American? Then it isn't so restricted and never has been, except in specific and particular cases, such as hate speech.

What people choose to listen to, though, is up to them. And in America, the advertising money goes to the media that people choose to pay attention to. So the Big Six media corporations get most of the rating points, and hence most of the money. Sorry if you don't like that — I believe it's known as the American Way.

Perhaps you'd like to live in my country, where there are laws protecting free speech, just as in America, but where, until very recently, anyone who spoke out against the regime, the Buddhist majority and various other powerful interests in society was likely to end up in jail on trumped-up charges or, worse, murdered by a death squad.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Are you American? Then it isn't so restricted and never has been, except in specific and particular cases, such as hate speech.

Yes I'm an American, and free speech isn't restricted here. Unless, of course , you criticize Caitlyn Jenner, Third Wave Feminism, Global Warming, etc. And if your political group is critical of the current administration, you can expect special attention from the IRS.

Companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter, are all actively suppressing “hate speech”.
The definition of “hate speech” seems to include opinions that differ from Progressive sensibilities.
But hey, the user agreement trumps the right to free expression. So it's ok.

What people choose to listen to, though, is up to them. And in America, the advertising money goes to the media that people choose to pay attention to. So the Big Six media corporations get most of the rating points, and hence most of the money. Sorry if you don't like that — I believe it's known as the American Way.

Sure, most people are content with the drivel being spoon fed to them through mass media.
But you and I, and the rest of ATS are not like most people. We are actively seeking new information and opinions, and researching ideas and topics that may not fit the world view of those who rule.

Which is why those big corporations must not be allowed to capture the internet and turn it into a walled garden.

Perhaps you'd like to live in my country, where there are laws protecting free speech, just as in America, but where, until very recently, anyone who spoke out against the regime, the Buddhist majority and various other powerful interests in society was likely to end up in jail on trumped-up charges or, worse, murdered by a death squad.

Your government, like mine, doesn't appear to obey it's own laws or respect the rights of it's people.

If the government you find yourself under doesn't recognize a right, the right itself is inalienable and doesn't go away. You just don't have the freedom to exercise that right. This is a condition known as tyranny.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlapdoodleStork
Companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter, are all actively suppressing “hate speech”.
The definition of “hate speech” seems to include opinions that differ from Progressive sensibilities.
But hey, the user agreement trumps the right to free expression. So it's ok.

Free speech in America is about protecting you from government action, nothing more. Private companies are under absolutely no obligation to protect your speech.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

That's what I said.

Users waive their rights on those sites by agreeing to the terms of use. They can express their views at the discretion of the site operators.

I am however, allowed by the first amendment, AND the terms of service on ATS to criticize them for their practices.

Which I am doing.

Social media sites are presenting themselves as a platform for communication and social networking. It is misleading to tell people that they can start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, etc. Then turn around and ban them for speech that is protected by the first amendment.

If these companies ever gain control of the internet, as they seem to be trying to do, that will spell the end of free speech.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Their speech is not protected by the first amendment when using a company's social media platform. Said companies are free to ban whomever they wish for whatever reason they choose.

On this very website ATS will ban you for talking about drugs in any capacity. That is their right. Such speech on this website is not protected and people are free to use other services if they disagree strongly enough.
edit on 18-6-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Their speech is not protected by the first amendment when using a company's social media platform. Said companies are free to ban whomever they wish for whatever reason they choose.

On this very website ATS will ban you for talking about drugs in any capacity. That is their right. Such speech on this website is not protected and people are free to use other services if they disagree strongly enough.

Your speech IS protected by the first ammendment. You agree to WAIVE that right on their site. That's why they have the terms of service agreement in the first place... to get you to agree not to assert your right.

I am not contesting their right to set terms of use, I am criticizing their practices.

Who's talking about drugs?
I said I could criticize corporations on ATS as long as I did not violate ATS's terms of service. Which I did not.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It pains me to feel like I have to justify and defend the concept of free speech. Especially to members of a site that specializes in alternative viewpoints.Let me see if I can explain my position here.

Why we need the free flow of information, and freedom of speech.

As human beings, our daily decisions and actions are determined by our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. In order to function properly in the world, and take actions that are right and fitting for us and those around us, we must have an accurate understanding of our world.

What we do is determined by what we know. If we don't know about a danger, we won't be able to avoid it, and if we don't know about an opportunity, we can't act on it.

If what we know is based on false information, our actions will then be inappropriate and ineffective.
If what we know is based on accurate information, our actions can be effective and appropriate.

Therefore, the ability to control information available to people is the ability to control their actions.

Any attempt to control the web or censor speech, should be viewed as an attempt to control our minds and our actions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join