It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the name of democracy, let us all unite!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be an emperor. That’s not my business. I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone - if possible - Jew, Gentile - black man - white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women, and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people.

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. .....

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness. Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!

75 years on, and that speech made by the greatest silent actor in the world, has never rang more true.

It gives me a shiver everytime I read it, or watch it on youtube.

It's the most powerful message to humanity i've ever heard.

Sorry to the people who've already heard it before, but today is a new day, and it's a message that will never get old.

Enjoy the coming weekend ATS!

And remember this, don't give yourselves to unnatural men!

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Words are pretty, who said them are the important part, I have seen intolerant man use the same words to justify mayhem, you see after we all are united all will be good, the uniting part is the problem, as not everyone want to be united, force have to be used, the soviets wanted to unite us all, so they killed millions that dint want part of their utopia. FARC want to unite Colombia in their equality dream, so they have enslave and kill for over 50 years their countryman.

Unite? to your vision or mine?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

democracy is not right for everyone. No need to export it to the world.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

Nice sentiment and I am sure it makes you feel good but unless you are willing to march organise and even fight for change.

Those unnatural men will get their way and eventually knock on your door as well.

Sorry, just facts.
edit on 5-6-2015 by Nowornevertill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
You had me until you stated quoting the bible. That always makes me change the station. If you want to really unite with people. We need to do away with religions too. Religions keep us separate and funnel our energy to the dark side.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

these creatures that call them selves human
are killing me
then again you don't need no one to unite with all
where am I ? where are you ?

edit on 5-6-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Uniting as a massive democracy won't work.

Democracy fails when applied to large societies - as we are experiencing daily.

We need to go it alone or in small groups. A mass cull then whoever is left form small communities.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

You want Unity.

Well, We need to strike the root of all system to destroy the current "paradigm" of competition.

And start a new system based on Unity.

edit on 5-6-2015 by joshint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nowornevertill

Nice sentiment and I am sure it makes you feel good but unless you are willing to march organise and even fight for change.

Those unnatural men will get their way and eventually knock on your door as well.

Sorry, just facts.

I've been ready since I woke up to the world. The problem is most of the world is still asleep.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: joshint

You want Unity.

Well, We need to strike the root of all system to destroy the current "paradigm" of competition.

And start a new system based on Unity.

That sounds like fascism.. Unity through strength, strength through unity

ATS is actually a good microcosm example of what the world could be.. Self organized topics.. Mods mostly staying out of the way because we are all civil.. It's Love and freedom.. I'll help anyone build a house, I don't need to get anything out of it.. And yet I will anyway, cause now my dude has a house..

Oh and now we are connected in love, so now we each have more energy again to help more.. This is what one might call expansion. It's how we get more energy without stealing it.

Government means: Govern the Mind.. I have my Own Government.. It's in my chest.
edit on 5-6-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

ill bet Ronald Reagan is observing from somewhere , saying " I told you we should have had an invasion"

funbox

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

originally posted by: Nowornevertill

Sorry, just facts.

I've been ready since I woke up to the world. The problem is most of the world is still asleep.

I hear you, just not enough do.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

We are in this together my friend.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
don't mind me peep

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Democracy is the first step to greed--a true democracy is a majority-rules system, which will always reward the greedy majority (which, judging by your post, you feel is the majority in the world right now.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
You had me until you stated quoting the bible. That always makes me change the station. If you want to really unite with people. We need to do away with religions too. Religions keep us separate and funnel our energy to the dark side.

I'm not religious myself,i'm far from it, but the context of it is what made it sound right for the speech. It's within us all to love and not hate.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Utopia is what the OP wants

We will never have utopia until
everyone is allowed to think freely
believe as they wish freely
speak freely
and do freely
without government constraints
as long as what they do - their actions
harm no one physically
and harm no one elses property

Mankind has flourished most with the least constraints
Live and let live has proved to be the best utopia
Not forcing everyone to have the same thoughts, speak carefully so as to not offend, and highly regulated action (as in tight regulations and controls on work and property and production).

The places where utopia through uniting people has been tried
(Russia under Stalin, China under Mao, Venezuela under Chavez, Cuba under Castro)
what has resulted is mass murder, mass incarceration for wrong thinking,
shortages of even the most basic supplies
like the people who stand in line in Venezuela for toilet paper.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Doing away with religion will not create utopia.

Religion is a moral compass for mankind.

Mankind does not have a built in moral compass that
all agree on, that is a fallacy.
Witness the leader of climate change who called
for the killing of all climate change deniers.
Witness even Hillary who on her first run opposed gay marriage
and now endorses gay marriage. (let's not turn the discussion to this
it is simply an example of how even leaders change moral stances
at the drop of a hat)
Witness Kinsey who said incest and pedophilia were normal
and healthy activities.

However, religious texts do give mankind a guideline for
a moral compass
Without them morality becomes as fickle as a feather on the wind
One does not have to follow the guidelines, or even agree with them
but they do give society as baseline for discussion.
Without them there is no baseline to even discuss, there is
simply the whims of the people in power,
who without moral constraint can become quite evil

(ah, without religion there is no evil is there?,
as it is a religious philosophy that is moot without
religion)

Utopia, real utopia, can only be achieved
when each person is allowed to think freely
believe freely
speak freely
and act freely
without constraint of any kind,
except
that they must not harm others
by their actions (not words, actions)
and they must not harm another s
property or livelihood by their actions
(again not words, actions)

Democracy in its purest form is collectivism
and does not allow the individual to flourish
Libertarianism does allow the individual to flourish.

Live and let live is the only real utopia, but mankind
is too selfish and self centered
and each person thinks that their :
thoughts are the only correct thoughts people should have;
their religion is the only correct religion or non-religion people should have;
their way of speaking to others is the only correct way of speaking to others;
their standards of morality are the only correct standards;
and so they force others to bend to their will.
That is the reality of the human condition.

One sees this everyday on ATS
where people say
this religion should be abolished because
people should not believe that way
OR
people should not say this or that
because it offends someone
and so your thoughts are wrong
and you must be punished for
expressing your thoughts

edit on 9Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:07:37 -0500am60506amk055 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Maybe you're correct about not all agreeing upon the same built-in moral compass, but before mass religion came about, humans lived just as peacefully, if not more peacefully, than we do now in a modern world with such a great religious moral compass.

My argument will be that religion's moral compass came from the moral compass already extant within the humans who create religion and not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Maybe you're correct about not all agreeing upon the same built-in moral compass, but before mass religion came about, humans lived just as peacefully, if not more peacefully, than we do now in a modern world with such a great religious moral compass.

My argument will be that religion's moral compass came from the moral compass already extant within the humans who create religion and not the other way around.

No they did not, archeological evidence shows that people were quite murderous.

History is replete with nations with no moral compass, conquering, taking slaves, raping at will, mass murder of entire tribes and villages. Early historical times were quite brutal.

If one tribe wanted what another had, they simply went in and killed as many men and boys as they could, took the women as slaves and raped them; or killed the women also; raised the children as slaves (sexual and otherwise)

The world without religious texts was far far more brutal.

Even Indian tribes would massacre other tribes and rape and pillage.

There was no time in pre-religious text history that wasn't as brutal as ISIS is today.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join