It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nucular vs. Nuclear

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Notable users[edit]

U.S. presidents who have used this pronunciation include Dwight D. Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush [11] as well as U.S. Vice President Walter Mondale.[12] In his 2005 book, Going Nucular, linguist Geoffrey Nunberg suggests that the reasons underlying the differing pronunciations of this word may be different from president to president. Whereas Eisenhower's pronunciation most likely arose from his lack of familiarity with the word (having first learned it in mid-life), Bush's usage may represent a calculated effort to appeal to populist sentiment,[13] though this theory is rejected by linguist Steven Pinker.[12] This analysis is repeated in the second edition of Charles Harrington Elster's The Big Book Of Beastly Mispronunciations.[9]

Oxford Professor Marcus du Sautoy was heard to use it in a BBC documentary.[14] The actor and narrator Orson Welles said "nucular" while speaking at the 1982 "No Nukes" rally in New York City's Central Park.[citation needed]

Edward Teller, "father" of the American hydrogen bomb, supposedly used this particular pronunciation, and this usage is a limited tradition within the American nuclear research establishment.[15] However, a clip from a 1965 interview with Teller on the ill-fated Project Plowshare seems to contradict this claim.[16]

Uses in fiction[edit]

In Woody Allen's 1989 film Crimes and Misdemeanors, Mia Farrow's character says she could never fall for any man who says "nucular."[17] The pronunciation was satirized in the 1996 science fiction film Mars Attacks!. Later, the pronunciation was utilized earnestly by the titular character in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull after Indiana survives an atomic bomb test by crawling inside a lead-lined refrigerator. This pronunciation was also used in the 2012 animated family film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.[18]

Homer Simpson (a nuclear power plant employee) of the popular American animated TV series The Simpsons[19] and Peter Griffin of the animated comedy series Family Guy both pronounce nuclear this way (during the episode "Da Boom," Peter 'corrects' Lois Griffin's correct pronunciation of the word).[20]

In the video game Starcraft II, the Ghost exclaims "Nucular launch detected" if he is clicked on repeatedly.

Just so ye know...

ffs

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This bothers me immensely

Now can someone ask them to pronounce envelope (ahhnvelope) and coupon (quepon) so I can really get pissed.

edit on 6/5/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
S&F's

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!

Perfect .....

I love to say this every chance I get !!!!!!!!!

Potato V's Potatoe ..........

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Probably not a thread for an Australian , aye .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Unless you've watched on the beach .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

You know i never did get around to watching that movie . On the weekends must do list . Cheers .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Have a glass of melk it will help you relax.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

This bothers me immensely

How does this make you feel?

Does it make you want to go nuclear?
(Hey, look, I managed to stay on topic!)
edit on 5-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Probably not a thread for an Australian , aye .

No..

I'm confused by it..

How is the way a word is pronounced an issue on a forum anyway?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Say it in a less alarming way lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Its funny in a way , school is pronounced skool in SA . But in the eastern states it sqooool . And now as an Australian i must state its very hard to spell our particular version of English . I guess i could go to new Zealand and go fushing , we could start a sex o'clock . Different places , different pronunciation . Who's right , who's wrong , who cares .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

It's amazing how quickly it changes too, go back, say 50 years and listen to how Australians talked..the King's English is very present.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Same here in the UK.
Regional accents are more accepted and people don't force their accent now.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

It's amazing how quickly it changes too, go back, say 50 years and listen to how Australians talked..the King's English is very present.

A tad less than 50 years ago i remember singing god save the queen every week at assembly as well . The teachers that were 50 , 50 years ago are long gone , well in most cases .I am 53 and speak Aussie very well .
edit on 5-6-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Look up the definition of

Nucular

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Look up selfie . The world changes , sometimes for the better , sometimes not .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

One, nuclear, is spelt correctly, the other is spelt wrong

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I recall listening to Don Bradman interviews, he sounded quite english, but he also used many australian colloquialisms too.

Now, we're Straya Maaate lol

On topic, I can't say I've ever seen nuclear written as nucalar. Just writing it is freaking out my auto correct.

English is such a terrible language linguistically really, like who the hell thought the word rendezvous should be spelt like that?? My local rubbish tip is on Rendezvous rd, so I spent a long time, into my early teens, saying it how it was spelt! What a newb

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hey, wheres Major Kong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join