It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear not! It's all going to be okay!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Perhaps you're blessed that you don't?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Perhaps. But on the assumption that God and the Bible are accurate, that's a pretty large gamble to make...

Don't you think?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

If there are ten people in a room, and one claims to know Santa Clause, you write that person off as insane. If 100 people are in a room, And ten claim to have seen Samta Clause, it begins to raise the eye brows of a few. If 10,000 people are in a room, and a thousand claimed to have seen Santa clause, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something.

In a world of 7 Billion+ people, it's estimated that 2 billion are Christian. There's something to that.

edit on 5/30/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

There are 1.5 billion Muslims, I think there is something to that.

You're using a common logical fallacy called "appeal to popularity". The popularity of something has no bearing on whether it is factual or not, the only thing it proves is that it is popular.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

There are multiple religions, each with multitudes of adherents. You want to make the assumption that God and the Bible are accurate and allude to not believing them being a big gamble. First of all, why assume the Bible is accurate? Why not assume that Allah and the Quran are true and accurate? Islam is one of the worlds largest religions alongside Christianity. Why not assume Vishnu and the other Gods and Goddesses in Hinduism are true and accurate? Is it not just as much of a gamble to assume Christians have it right? What if they don't and you've picked the wrong one?

Why assume any of them are true and accurate? Just because a group has large amounts of adherents doesn't make them true. Nor do very powerful experiences in which they believe they see God or other miraculous things make it true. The adherents of other religions also have similar experiences with their Gods. Which has it right and what are the odds you'll pick it?

Why not study the religions, their texts, their claims, their histories, their developments, their evolutions. Do they make accurate claims about the world? Can they be tried and tested and stand up to scrutiny? Should they be taken seriously on faith and experience alone? In this way you'll at least be making a level of informed decision, as opposed to blind assumption.

Just some food for thought.

edit on 5-31-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Hey OP have you ever questioned anything in life or do you just believe everything your told see and read? I find it totally illogical and irrational to put all of my belief into a 2000 year old book. 400 years ago Galileo Galilei discovered the earth revolved around the sun. The Catholic church wanted to burn him at the stake for heresy because they believed the earth was the center of the universe. 300 years ago they thought the earth was flat and you would sail off the edge if you went to far into the sea. 150 years ago we were burning people for witchcraft. Don't even get me started on the knuckle dragging cavemen in the middle east. So what could a 2000 year old book have to offer me that science and history don't?
edit on 31-5-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! I have always said exactly this!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: flyingfish

Alright now, you guys are going for some good questions
about the word. I sleep pretty well on the weekends and have
been doing so since I last dropped out. Give me a little time to
get the sleep out of my eyes and I'll give some retorts where I
can do so in an honest fashion. Thanks everyone, for your interest.

You my fellow member, write with such intelligence coupled with
diligence it behooves me why you would ever sacrifice that as you
sometimes seem to do. My compliments and I'll be getting back to you.

A little confession:

I use rock music to show you guys I'm just like you. You don't have to
try and drive yourselves nuts doing the impossible. I just believe.
edit on Ram53115v51201500000054 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You're using a common logical fallacy called "appeal to popularity". The popularity of something has no bearing on whether it is factual or not, the only thing it proves is that it is popular.

I think this can be shown to be wrong l1ght. When you think
about the total obscurity that Jesus died in.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

There are multiple religions, each with multitudes of adherents. You want to make the assumption that God and the Bible are accurate and allude to not believing them being a big gamble. First of all, why assume the Bible is accurate?

Come on now, the Bible can be shown to be as sharp and accurate
as my Kershaw. Historically, scientifically, astronomically and archeaologically.
It's tremendously sound in the truth about life lessons also. So what
you say here carries no weight at all. The Bible is alive with the truth
and that's the reason it's so hated.

a reply to: wantsome

The immediate above applies.

edit on Ram53115v26201500000029 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

If there are ten people in a room, and one claims to know Santa Clause, you write that person off as insane. If 100 people are in a room, And ten claim to have seen Samta Clause, it begins to raise the eye brows of a few. If 10,000 people are in a room, and a thousand claimed to have seen Santa clause, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something.

In a world of 7 Billion+ people, it's estimated that 2 billion are Christian. There's something to that.

Again you are a thinker, not a stinker.
edit on Ram53115v34201500000014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You've always been a good sport, there are few who can absorb this sort of criticism and not get their asses banned.

You are just like me and probably from the same generation, judging from your choice of music.
But, your not driving me nuts, I'm not trying to convert you. I know were your at, I was once a believer myself, so I know it's not impossible.
It is possible to not believe in unevidenced claims. It is possible to prove beliefs can be demonstrably wrong. It is possible overcome confirmation bias. It is possible to understand the true nature of the universe and put aside the ignorance of those that have come before us..
It is possible.

edit on fSunday151051f102501 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

There are multiple religions, each with multitudes of adherents. You want to make the assumption that God and the Bible are accurate and allude to not believing them being a big gamble. First of all, why assume the Bible is accurate?

as my Kershaw. Historically, scientifically, astronomically and archeaologically.
you say here carries no weight at all. The Bible is alive with the truth

a reply to: wantsome

The immediate above applies.

Joshua 10

12 Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: “Sun, stand still over Gibeon; And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.” 13 So the sun stood still, And the moon stopped, Till the people had revenge Upon their enemies.

Do you understand the scientific implications of something like this happening? Especially the way it is worded? Scientifically accurate? Don't think so.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

You my fellow member, write with such intelligence coupled with
diligence it behooves me why you would ever sacrifice that as you
sometimes seem to do. My compliments and I'll be getting back to you.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the kind sentiments.

A little confession:

I use rock music to show you guys I'm just like you. You don't have to
try and drive yourselves nuts doing the impossible. I just believe.

No problem buddy, I love rock and metal! Don't worry about driving me nuts. Some people believe and that's that. While I may make my comments about faith and Christianity I don't think any less of people just for their beliefs.

you say here carries no weight at all.

I'm afraid you are wrong here. With the exception life lessons. The books that found there way into the Bible were all written by men. At different times. Those books were written, edited and in some cases slightly altered at various times. There are some sections where it can be seen the author did not know about certain geography, for example. There are other examples. I realize at this point I should put together some to show you, since we've had this conversation a bit before. The site I linked before was not to your liking. So I will work on that and make it a thread or something. But if it is your position that the Bible is perfect and without error in history, science, astronomy and archeologically, you're simply not being honest with yourself.

Btw, acknowledging the Bible has errors doesn't have to weaken your faith!

A question: How do you feel about early Christian writings that didn't make it into canon? Do you believe, as their authors and readers did, that they were also divinely inspired?

Early Christian Writings

The Bible is alive with the truth

That is completely untrue. I don't know one person who hates the Bible because it's "filled with truth". I only know people who love the Bible, because they believe it is filled with truth.

Even in my atheism I don't hate the Bible. I find it fascinating. I need to learn more about it, granted. Hopefully I never come off sounding like a know it all! I recently started a course at Yale... ok ok that's not true.. Yale offers free courses online via YouTube!

Introduction to the Old Testament With Christine Hayes
New Testament History and Literature with Dale B. Martin

edit on 5-31-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Even in my atheism I don't hate the Bible. I find it fascinating.

Well in my experience I have to say this is extremely rare
to the point of refreshing.

A question: How do you feel about early Christian writings that didn't make it into canon? Do you believe, as their authors and readers did, that they were also divinely inspired?

I'm of the mind that if they correlate perfectly. They must be scripture.

But I myself have only what my gut tells me. Lacking any real kind of
education on the matter.
edit on Rpm53115v03201500000009 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I'm of the mind that if they correlate perfectly. They must be scripture.

But I myself have only what my gut tells me. Lacking any real kind of
education on the matter.

I don't know much about them either, I only recently thought it a good idea to find out about them. I imagine some will be along the same lines and some will be vastly different.

But anyway. I've yet to make a musical contribution!
So I will post my favorite band.

edit on 5-31-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: changed song

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Do you understand the scientific implications of something like this happening?

I think so...
You're referring to the fact that time itself would have to
stop for this occur. Also being able to think only scientifically
makes all of what a God should be able to do by the very definition
of God, seem impossible to you. You can't seem to separate the two.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

Do you understand the scientific implications of something like this happening?

I think so...
You're referring to the fact that time itself would have to
stop for this occur. Also being able to think only scientifically
makes all of what a God should be able to do by the very definition
of God, seem impossible to you. You can't seem to separate the two.

Separating the two is easy enough, since I used to be a Christian. I was highlighting the fact you said scientifically accurate, and gave an example in which it is not accurate.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Jesus hardly died in obscurity, the hundreds if not thousands of texts speaking about him and the commentaries by early church fathers pertaining to him in the second century are evidence of the opposite being true.

Jesus is the most celebrated figure in history by a long shot. Funny how that works on a world under Satan's control (according to the bible).

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I would argue that the writings of important political events
during the time of Jesus barely even noticed him. As we see
right up to the present day. Many a genius are recognized
only after their passing. Hardly any attention was given to his
works as he lived. But when his disciples went from a total
fear of death, to boldly refusing to renounce him in the face of
being tortured and put to death. People then started to take
notice with raised eyebrows. So you can spout that crap all you
want. Always the way it suits you at any given point. You're