It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-army chief urges PM to consider 'boots on the ground' to fight Isis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Would be better to send someone like you, I.e someone who sponges copious amounts of benefits whilst spouting anti-British hatred. I serve a purpose, i pay for the military, and I suppose your council house and all your benefits too for that matter
. Other than spouting anti-British sentiments and draining our economy what purpose do you serve? (Not talking about you posting pictures of IRA terrorists either you hypocrite)
edit on 27-5-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo

Would be better to send someone like you, I.e someone who sponges copious amounts of benefits whilst spouting anti-British hatred. I serve a purpose, i pay for the military, and I suppose your council house and all your benefits too for that matter
. Other than spouting anti-British sentiments and draining our economy what purpose do you serve? (Not talking about you posting pictures of IRA terrorists either you hypocrite)

Dude, put the daily mail down and get back to work, you've got to pay for my benefits, they ain't gonna pay for themselves

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Serve...I tell what i served, I served my country for three years. can you say the same..?

You know nothing of me and how i make a living, you know nothing of the house i live in. The Terrorist/ freedom fighter picture was for your benefit...hope you choked on your breakfast when i posted it Bigot.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo
While we're on the subject of pictures, Here's three for ya...enjoy.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Thats all true. The government can always choose to act covertly which by its nature cant be stopped by public opinion.

There are limits to that though. Serious military commitments such as bombing campaigns or deploying conventional troops in strength need to get by parliament, the last Syria vote shows that strong enough public opinion on a matter can count.

Particularly if the government of the day does not have a large majority to start with.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: justwokeup

if the Tories look back at Iraq and Afghanistan they must concede that both campaigns were a abject failure in the battle for hearts and minds.

In the short term certain politicians made a absolute killing from both campaigns. we have still to work out who made what, and when the truth comes out it, will be earth shattering.

History will show that in the long term our elected leaders made a HUGE mistake dragging our country into both the middle east and Afghanistan. They either learn by those mistakes or the likes of 9/11-7/7 will continue for the foreseeable future.

God Help us all if the likes of Al qaeda, al Shabab, IS etc get their hands on either a viable Nuclear device or what would be more likely, a large lump of Yellowcake Uranium.

edit on 27-5-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Would you guys have appeased Hitler?
Oh don't be so ridiculous bringing Chamberlain's formal agreements/deals with Hitler into this thread. The two situations are completely unrelated, and you should know that before making references to the second world war in Europe.

And before you start whining with "appeasement" claims relating to the UK, start campaigning all the nations in the region who are doing nothing, as I said earlier:

originally posted by: grainofsand
Egypt - 468,000 soldiers not counting reserves
Jordan - 100,000 soldiers not counting reserves
Iran - 350,000 soldiers not counting reserves
Turkey - 315,000 soldiers
Pakistan - 550,000 soldiers soldiers not counting reserves

How many ISIS fighters again? Not even 50,000.
The conflict is a solely Wahabi/Sunni/Shia sectarian Muslim issue. The UK is thousands of miles away and only 5% Muslim. It is not our fight. It is the fight of armed forces in the region, all Islamic nations, all ignoring it.

If France or Spain say were suffering the same style of attack as in Iraq/Syria then I would support our troops defending them. It is our region of the world, and would also present a clear risk to our own security.

*Edit*
At it's height, we had 10% of all battle ready UK troops in Afghanistan.
Take 10% of the troops available in the region as I mentioned above and that will provide a force of 178,000 soldiers.
Now explain your calls for British squaddies to deal with a sectarian Muslim issue when the Islamic nations in the region won't even give their 10% themselves.
edit on 27.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Hitler was fought because we had a treaty obligation to Poland. Conflict was brewing for some time but we did not pre-emptively seek it out until we had to. If they had attacked Russia instead we would probably have sat tight and continued to re-arm while they battered each other.

UK survival does not depend on us charging off to fight Isis, nor do we have treaty obligations that force us to. There are powerful nations in the region that are more at risk than us. Some of them responsible for creating it. Let them deal with their own monster if it comes to thier door.

As it happens I don't think there will be any attempt to get the western public motivated to destroy Isis until its done its job, which is to topple Assad and eliminate the last vestiges of the Syrian state. At the moment imho US policy is to be seen to be fighting it while trying not to degrade it too badly until Syria falls, as a side bonus its bleeding Iran in the meantime. A lot of people are mistaking calculated amorality for ineffectiveness. I think they are being as effective as they want to be right now.

When observed from the point of view of people lacking in any human empathy or moral code it makes sense.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Cher Is Not Impressed With Obama’s ISIS War

The singer is worried about how America’s campaign against the Islamic State in progressing. International pop-music icon and Will & Grace guest star Cher is not particularly impressed with how President Obama has been waging war on the Islamic State. Cher (born Cherilyn Sarkisian) is many things. She is an award-winning actress, singer, and philanthropist. Much like many other celebrities living today, she also tweets—and oftentimes those tweets turn to politics, history, and war. Over the long Memorial Day weekend, Cher took to Twitter to sharply criticize Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter for blaming Iraqi forces’ lack of will for ISIS’s recent victory in Ramadi. “Ash Carter Says ‘IRAQI ARMY LACKS WILL [TO] FIGHT’ YA THINK,” Cher wrote, before posting an emoji of a face crying from vigorous laughter. “Spend [money] REALLY Arming The Kurds. We BLEW Off Sunni Tribesman, [for] Shiite [government] & Now We’ll Pay [the price.]”

And Cher has been abundantly clear about how she believes that the Bush administration essentially created ISIS by launching a disastrous war in Iraq

What do you get when you put G.Bush, D.Cheney,D.Rumsfeld, C.Powell,R.Perle.C.Rice &P.Wolfowitz,Together ? ….. ISIS

This wasn’t the first instance of Cher tweeting about ISIS or Iraq—not by a long shot. She has expressed—frequently in ALL CAPS—her thoughts and feelings about the crisis and Obama administration policy many times before her Memorial Day weekend venting. “PRES..OBAMA…LOVE U, BUT ISIS IS KICKING OUR ASS, & IRAQI ARMY FIGHTS LIKE OLD [PEOPLE,] [FUUUUUUUCK]‼️” she tweeted this month. “I’M NO HAWK, but ISIS Is Major Threat 2 Safety of USA,” she posted last August. “WE BLEW [MONEY] & LOST LIVES…In Bush’s [bull#] War, But [America] MUST Pull [the] World [together] & Rid It Of ISIS.”

Cher is on the money here
edit on 27-5-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You advocate sending troops because Cher tweeted something? That's priceless!! Hahahaha!

(post by biggilo removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Then we could watch it at home on the news while we eat our steak dinner and have our nightly popcorn

Sounds good to me. Il grab some steaks.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Would you guys have appeased Hitler?

Godwin's Law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches —​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism. Despite being described as universal, regardless of the subject of the discussion, Godwin's law is more likely to be applicable to social topics (including politics, law, religion, etc.).

You win the internet.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The "appeasement" line is really tiresome though.
I often wonder if those who raise it even know the actual history of Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler.
It is certainly lame to bring it up in a thread about less than 50,000 killers involved in a sectarian Wahabi/Sunni/Shia Muslim conflict.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Stop telling lies, you haven't served in anything you loser. I was in the OTC at university!
That's not really serving though is it:

OTC members are classed as Officer Cadets (OCdt) and are members of the Army Reserve, paid when on duty. UOTC members cannot be mobilised for active service.
www.army.mod.uk...
I was in the RNR for nearly 6 years when I was a medium ranking civil servant. Served full time for a few month or two stretches, never in conflict though, but I was available to be mobilised if our country needed me. You were not.

...yet you wish to send the young adults of other parents to fight in a conflict that neighbouring regional forces are not interested in engaging with themselves?
Shameful in my opinion.

edit on 28.5.2015 by grainofsand because: added link

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
We are going to compare levels of service now are we? ( the OTC is army reserve) Wise up! I have lots of friends in the army who agree with me and want to go fight. You know that's why lots join the army? The purpose of the military is to be sent to secure national security by people like me/us. Squaddies come from quite particular social groups too.
Some goat posts pictures of one of the most anti-British terrorists ever and you jump on me for wanting to send troops to fight ISIS? You need to take a long hard look at yourself..
edit on 29-5-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

The purpose of the military is to be sent to secure national security by people like me/us. .

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Not in my name.
well, definitely in my name this time and I am a higher rate tax payer and employer in the UK. I know dole spongers say is worth same as mine in law but that just wrong lol

You sure you went to University..?

Ps, The Pics were for you and you alone. And if you read back i said, "Terrorists/Freedom fighter" leaving the option open for one to choose. You chose to label Bobby Sands MP a Terrorist, I never chose to label Bobby Sands MP a Freedom fighter.

I'm done speaking with you know.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I wasn't speaking to you nor have I been, are you deluded? Why would I speak to someone who posts pictures of terrorists to cause oftence and lies about serving in the military? Fool

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I wasn't speaking to you nor have I been, are you deluded? Why would I speak to someone who posts pictures of terrorists to cause oftence and lies about serving in the military? Fool

I think you should re-read this thread and have a look at how many times you have replied directly to me...Deluded.?

As for my military service, as for my Housing situation, as for how i make a living, all of which you have an opinion on, has absolutely nothing to do with you ...as i said, you know nothing of me. you can throw all the assumptions you like out there, it still doesn't make it so., but hey, as long as it makes you feel good about yourself for a little while..because it's all about you, right.?

You sound like a pissy 14 year old kid..

"Sent from in front of my PC whilst finishing up some orders for a few clients". Then it's off to Letterkenny for a Family soiree for a few days

edit on 29-5-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join