It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Sounds like you haven't been real happy being a woman. Maybe you would consider having your breasts removed, a prosthetic penis added, and some male hormones to make your voice lower and chest and facial hair grow? Sounds like you would be happier in a man's body. You've already got the height for it apparently.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: ketsuko

The little darlins' don't graduate with any understanding of math, science, or even a third grade level reading ability, but bless their hearts, we make sure they know all the possible sexual positions known to man, how to put on condoms, all the different sexual orientations and whether or not they might be gender fluid!

I bet you the vast majority of people have more use for a condom than a protractor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Issues of sex, relationships etc have far far more relevance to the vast majority of people every week all through their lives than does mathematics, quantum mechanics or DNA base pairs.

And that is a sad, sad commentary on modern society.

Sex is more relevant to life than our professional lives, and yet, we are all supposed to be able to achieve higher education where this type of learning - you know the stuff you would need the base protractor experience for - is key.

But hey! Let's pretend this isn't a problem and cater to the least common denominator. And one day soon all our Starbucks will be like this:

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yes, it's easy to be flippant when it is just a hypothetical situation. Might be a bit different if it was real, and if you were told you had to live with this body for the next 40-50 years of your life. At least I know it would seriously bum me out.

What the OP is feeling I cannot relate to. Neither can the OP relate to what I have been through as a woman. Hence my question: how does the OP (or anyone) know what it feels like to be the opposite gender?

Yeah no kidding, surrounded by wife, female dog and two beautiful girls and I haven't the faintest, than again, I don't wish to either.

I got nothing against anyone being whatever they want be it boy, girl or even a Racoon. I do however take issue with boy parts anywhere near my girls locker rooms or bathrooms. Period.
edit on 17-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Because changing society will make a transgender's life much easier. How could you not see that?

Never said it wouldn't, you again are making things up.

The only thing I said I was against was forcing parents to expose children to transgender lifestyle by dramatizing it as a good thing or a positive happy lifestyle. Which is not, because it is not an easy way of life as of now, hence the high suicide rates.

Look, your original argument was that you didn't want your child to see a happy transgender. You seem to have some fear that if your child sees a happy transgender that it will make him want to be one. That is a silly fear. But I can think of no other reason.

I see you like to take creative reasoning to another level from your arguments.

What I said was

I wouldn't want those type of characters portrayed as positive happy life in movies for my kid to watch when the reality is the opposite.

Perhaps you think its silly to be truthful , realistic, and set real life expectations with your kids but I don't .

The truth of the matter is that its not an easy life being transgender nor being a drug addict and I wouldn't want to have it portrayed as one for my son. I bet if you asked your friend , they would likely tell you it isn't an easy life.

edit on 11531America/ChicagoSun, 17 May 2015 14:11:38 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth.

In reality we are all forced to cope with things out of our control such as who our parents are and the gender we are born into. It is not the universe's job to make you feel comfortable on earth, it is your job to be made felt comfortable on earth. I personally don't like transgender people because it is going against nature, but you are you and you should not give a rat's ass what people like I think. The problem is when people actively try to hurt people like yourself. That I do not agree with. Live and let live. Don't expect to be liked or accepted by all, but do your utmost to show by example that regardless of your perceived sex, you can be a productive member of society. In time people's perceptions will change and acceptance will follow. To this day racism exists so don't ever expect anything other than that. God bless you all.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Yes, it's easy to be flippant when it is just a hypothetical situation. Might be a bit different if it was real, and if you were told you had to live with this body for the next 40-50 years of your life. At least I know it would seriously bum me out.

Except that doesn't happen and won't. We are happy with who and what we are apparently although I can't speak about the other poster.

This idea that suddenly we will be in another body and hate it is crazy. It would be jarring, but we are happy as us. Will that change because you put us in a new body?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

What about lesbian girl parts in your girls' bathrooms? Lesbians are attracted to girls, you know.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Disingenuous response. You are trying as hard as you can to NOT imagine what it would be like to feel like you are in the wrong body. Why does that not surprise me.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What about lesbian girl parts in your girls' bathrooms? Lesbians are attracted to girls, you know.

Honestly not too thrilled about that either. Bathrooms and locker rooms are not places where kids should have to be worried about sex if they don't want to be. By injecting potential sexual partners into the mix and injecting nudity on top of adolescent hormones it invites trouble - everything from bullying to open harassment to possibly worse in the worst case.

It's bad enough when everyone is on the same page.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

When I was in school I don't remember hearing a single incident about a girl raping another girl in school. That's what bothers me and as a parent I feel it's my duty to protect them the best I can. Guys can be insidious to the highest degree and some will do just about anything when they really want something.

Again as a parent, it's possible I could feel differently if one of my children were gender confused. I would want my child happy and safe, the best I could.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Sounds like you haven't been real happy being a woman. Maybe you would consider having your breasts removed, a prosthetic penis added, and some male hormones to make your voice lower and chest and facial hair grow? Sounds like you would be happier in a man's body. You've already got the height for it apparently.

Wow. I am a happy person... because I am a woman, I guess that makes me a happy woman, but my happiness is neither because of nor in spite of my gender. I just don't think (or feel) in those terms. So why would I be happier (or unhappier) in a man's body? Whatever "female" problems I have, I could just as easily have "male" problems... erectile dysfunction, distended testicles, englarged prostate, etc. It would just be different. Not better or worse.

And I'm happy to discuss our differences, but I'm not being hateful or disrespectful, so what's up with the hostility? The OP asked a sincere question; I've explained myself and how I think/feel about it -- basically, that I just don't understand it and why. Nothing insulting to the OP specifically or transgenders in general or anyone else. Respect, acceptance and tolerance is a two-way street.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Disingenuous response. You are trying as hard as you can to NOT imagine what it would be like to feel like you are in the wrong body. Why does that not surprise me.

I used to imagine it all the time. I spent quite a few years as a kid when I was being bullied wishing I had been born a horse and feeling like I should have been born one.

Don't make assumptions.

This is why I say that thinking that if everyone around you loves you, then you will love you is a false assumption.

A person cannot be comfortable as themselves until they learn to love themselves, and it doesn't matter what body you think you are supposed to be in, you are you and if you can't love you ... outward appearance won't matter in the slightest.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Is your concept of "waking up in a new body" the same type of feeling someone who was once a fitness model waking up looking in the mirror and seeing that they are obese?

Or

Someone who is obese looking in the mirror and seeing that they want to be a fitness model because they are not comfortable being obese?

Just trying to understand no baiting tactics or anything.

I'm trying to make a cross comparison to better understand something that is typically difficult for people to understand.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

Hi honested3!!

Here, have a *hug*. I'm only ending page 2, and already figured you could use one!

Great OP, but I'm not reading any more. I get sick of people taking the time and making the effort to tell people in a thread how useless it is wasting time on the topic of the thread.
If I think a topic sounds like something that will annoy me, I usually don't even go there.

Yours sounded interesting, and it was.
S&F
jacygirl

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

No hostility. You've just mentioned more than once all the bad that has happened to you as a woman - no good experiences. If you feel the same inside, what's the difference whether you have a penis and chest hair or not? Why do you take that as hostility? Is there something wrong with having a more male body?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It's not so much the rape. I don't see that as a big threat for most girls (unless we're talking transgender girls in the boy facilities). However, the feelings of confusion that arise out of adolescent hormones and sexual tension on the part of both the regular girls and the ones who have alternate sexualities or gender identities can cause bullying and stress and other unpleasantness for everyone. I'm not sure that the environment would be healthy for anyone.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

originally posted by: Boadicea

What the OP is feeling I cannot relate to. Neither can the OP relate to what I have been through as a woman. Hence my question: how does the OP (or anyone) know what it feels like to be the opposite gender?

Yeah no kidding, surrounded by wife, female dog and two beautiful girls and I haven't the faintest, than again, I don't wish to either.

Haha! I bet you don't... especially after my little pity party about the woes of being female!

I got nothing against anyone being whatever they want be it boy, girl or even a Racoon. I do however take issue with boy parts anywhere near my girls locker rooms or bathrooms. Period.

I certainly understand that. Safety becomes an issue at some point as well. Not long ago we did have a man (pervert) dressed as a woman busted in a ladies' bathroom at a park. So it is a very real and valid concern. Having said that, however, I worried even more about sending my little boy into a public bathroom alone because perverts come in all persuasions!
edit on 17-5-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

How about answering the concerns on the issue:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have major concerns with "anatomical males" using Womens showers, locker rooms, and bathrooms. I have brought up the point that any man can then say he is "transgender" even if he is not in order to access womens facilities for nefarious purposes.

It is a valid concern. There are very bad and sick people in our society and there are many, many women who do not want "anatomical men" in their locker rooms, showers, and bathrooms.

Recently, there has been a drive to sue anyone who prevents transgender "anatomical males" from accessing these Womens facilities. There are also "negative consequences" for Women who voice their concerns.

When Unisex options are provided, that idea is rejected and litigation ensues.

I think it is quite a fair concern. How do you keep the predators and perverts from claiming "transgender" status and accessing women's facilities without the ability to even challenge it because challenging will be considered unfairly "profiling" or harassment?

Again, me personally could care less who uses the Male facilities but allowing unchallengeable ease of access to womens facilities is a concern. Does anyone else see this as a valid concern?

edit on 17-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's not so much the rape. I don't see that as a big threat for most girls (unless we're talking transgender girls in the boy facilities). However, the feelings of confusion that arise out of adolescent hormones and sexual tension on the part of both the regular girls and the ones who have alternate sexualities or gender identities can cause bullying and stress and other unpleasantness for everyone. I'm not sure that the environment would be healthy for anyone.

Teachers are generally disengaged with the overall welfare of the children there. If it doesn't happen in front of them, not there problem. I was bullied from the first year I move to Pa from Cali (4th grade) up until I "found myself" as a sophomore in high school. Sure there were still a lot of fights but at least it wasn't everyone against just me anymore.

If the teachers seriously didn't know what was happening than they would have to be really, really stupid. I would actually be terribly freightend at the thought of a transgender female in a male bathroom. Kids are cruel.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

No hostility. You've just mentioned more than once all the bad that has happened to you as a woman - no good experiences. If you feel the same inside, what's the difference whether you have a penis and chest hair or not? Why do you take that as hostility? Is there something wrong with having a more male body?

I'm like the poster in question and felt your assumption that she should be male was rather high-handed.

In order to qualify as female, does that mean has to like everything about being female?

Nothing in life is 100% perfect. Everything has both good and bad. I wish I didn't have a bone spur in my neck, but that's life.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join