It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I applause the effort girl but some of these types refuse to accept science. In fact there is a thread in the top topics referencing a spoof article about fact resistant humans. Is it really a spoof...?a reply to: kaylaluv

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

When you leave out "exotic" and just say "hybrid", it sort of loses its zazz.

Besides, I hope you understand I was speaking for myself and was half joking. I don't think many others would dig my suggestion so yeah... maybe just reserve that term for your thinking voice, heh heh.

edit on 18-5-2015 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
OH NOOOO'S the way of the WHITE MAN is in danger!!!! Seriously though I wouldn't worry about that too much as white males are still the largest demographic around (I'm caucasian too btw) As for this nefarious agenda I ask who, what and why?

For the religious types that cite one of the worlds oldest fiction novels that was based on a true story and its "prophecies" I say this: If it were indeed true that one day the "beast or antichrist" as they say is real and does in fact come to power then that is a result of "gods" will, correct?

If you truly believe that dusty old book then you should fully understand that the coming of the beast is both gods word (prophecy) and will (intent). In short it is meant to happen, will happen and can not be stopped (assuming it is true of course). So wouldn't it be a little arrogant to try to stop the will of god, I mean who the eff are any of us to question the will of our so called god let alone try and stop it as if we even could? as reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You are wrong.

I know about the research. The fact is that in cases of true GID, it can be a result of neurological development issues in the brain and it's ability to synthesise hormones, but research also shows that it can be caused by society and psychology.

There is a difference between true GID and those suffering other psychological conditions or sexual identity issues that identify as ''transgender''. Many of those are part of LGBT communities, and despite claims otherwise, those such communities are notoriously superficial.

'Transgender' implies they consider themselves another gender to that which they are psychically, but the fact is, it is just that their brain isn't making the normal hormonal connections or suffering psychological/developmental issues.

Research shows that such people post op aren't cured. Because they are not addressing the neurological issues, just superficial attempts at altering the physical.

steinhardt.nyu.edu...

a reply to: kaylaluv
edit on 18-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You seem very vocal about things you know nothing of. Unsurprisingly. Finding any excuse for attention and attacking those that don't agree to your delusions is just an example of a ''bubble'' mentality.

Your presumptions so far:

Me as not knowing anything of LGBT communities. Wrong. I have also written about it on ATS. Years of catering management meant years of mentoring gay waiters and kitchen staff, hearing their daily dramas and rather concerning accounts of their community.

Accusing me of believing the bible. Wrong, I have written screeds about on ATS.

All sorts of things about the scientific research of gender.

a reply to: TrappedPrincess

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: honested3

Any type of scenario that involves the eventual mutilation of ones genitals tends to put people on edge.

That being said end of the day people are free to do whatever they wish to their own bodies.
edit on 18-5-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ok your right, go figurea reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Actually I go out of my way to avoid attention, no Facebook or any of the mainstream social media sites for me thank you Im not attacking you, I thought we were having an intellectual debate over opposing ideaologies. I also did not directly accuse you of believing in the bible. YOU REFERENCED some nefarious plot and I ask by whom and for what purpose. So who is presumptuous again?.a reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
See the thing is that the transgender spectrum is very wide and not all trans people opt for the surgery. I for one am one of those that has no intent on going that far. In fact some simply take the hormones to balance out their brain chemicals and make no effort to represent as the sex opposite of how they were born. In short different strokes for different folks. World would be boring if we were all the same " plain vanilla"a reply to: andy06shake

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

The article you linked agrees with me that this is a very real non-superficial condition. But somehow you are under the mistaken impression that everyone in the "LGBT Clubhouse" is too superficial to actually have the very real neurobiological condition of Gender Dysmorphia. And yet, the very fact that they have this condition automatically puts them in the LGBT clubhouse that you say is so superficial. Do you see the cognitive dissonance of your argument?

There may be some unfortunate transgender souls who don't get 100% relief from sex reassignment surgery, but there are many who are very much helped by it.

Also to add, since there hasn't been any proven track record of success in curing this condition by working with the brain, at this time there really is no other option other than to work with the body. That does not make this superficial.
edit on 18-5-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I suspect that he has probably been exposed to/around a few of the over the top flamboyant drama queens types and has allowed that to shape his opinion of an entire demographic. I will also add that I too have encountered a lot of those type whom I really prefer not to associate with. I however do not blanket policy the whole demographic because I've witnessed a few acting that way.

Furthermore the trans community gets lumped in there with the gay community even though they are not really the same thing. a reply to: kaylaluv

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
I suspect that he has probably been exposed to/around a few of the over the top flamboyant drama queens types and has allowed that to shape his opinion of an entire demographic. I will also add that I too have encountered a lot of those type whom I really prefer not to associate with. I however do not blanket policy the whole demographic because I've witnessed a few acting that way.

Furthermore the trans community gets lumped in there with the gay community even though they are not really the same thing. a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes, some think that LGBT means some kind of hive mind that all think and act alike. That's not stereotyping at all, is it.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: Boadicea

Even post op 'transgenders' don't know how it is to be the gender other than that to which they were born. You can stick a donkey tail on a pig but it doesn't make it a donkey.

There is no such thing as changing gender, fact. However much some might scream and shout about it, there isn't.

Altering superficial skin and muscle and taking hormones doesn't make anyone anymore of another gender than wearing a mask.

So no one knows how that feels, some might experience an inclination as to how it feels to be seen as another gender but not actually being another gender.

You have a strange way of posting, in a polite pseudo "intelligent" condescending manner.

I am never quite sure what you actually mean.

Since feelings are internal - - I'm pretty sure each of us do know how we feel.

As far as transgender goes - - science backs them up via brain scans. Physical males who claim they feel female - - have the same brain makeup as female. Its more then just a feeling.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee "You have a strange way of posting, in a polite pseudo "intelligent" condescending manner."

Thank you thank you for validating that for me. Im not the only one who feels this way and pseudo intelligent nice term I couldn't quite put my finger on.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I completely disagree. How can you possibly know? The brain is an extremely complex organ, and as a result, the amount of things that can go wrong with it are close to infinite. It is entirely feasible that a person could be born with the thoughts, feelings and everything else that goes with identifying with a particular gender. But the body developed the opposite way.

To say that transgenders don't know how it is to be the gender they identify with is absolute ignorance. You do not know how they feel. I would go as far as saying that the majority of bona-fide TG's do not know how it is to be the gender their body displays. They DO know how it feels to be what they identify with. They have been forced to "fit in" to the body they are born with, but simply cannot. Of course there are currently physical things that cannot be experienced, such as a FTM will never be able to father a child, and a MTF will unlikely be able to get pregnant. But even this will change in the future with the advancement of medicine.

Then onto your argument about how western cultures are being eroded. I completely agree with you, they certainly are. However, what you fail to take into consideration is that in some eastern cultures, TG's are treated much, much better than here in the west. Transphobia is mostly (but definitely not exclusively) a western thing.

As for people who keep referring to studies. There is a problem with them, in that studies are often commissioned and carried out by people with various agendas, so the results are likely to be skewed in that direction. If you do digging you can eventually dig one out that comes out with results that are closest to your views. Look at all the research done on cannabis for another example of how this works. At the end of the day the best way to understand is to find out from real TG people. Not ignore what they have to say and cite some paper.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Don't know if this has been mentioned (only just seen the thread) but transgenderism is viewed as a mental disorder universally within psychiatry.

DSM-5 describes it as a mental illness, whereas ICD-10 sees it as a personality disorder.

It's hard to freely accept something that the best minds in psychiatry assure us is an illness.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ok fine I'll bite (again for the sake of conversation) Down syndrome is a form of mental illness but I think most people would agree that it would be in extremely bad taste to yell slurs at and marginalize people with down syndrome. Do all humans not deserve to be treated with dignity and respect or just the ones you agree with?a reply to: CJCrawley

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
You are wrong.

I know about the research. The fact is that in cases of true GID, it can be a result of neurological development issues in the brain and it's ability to synthesise hormones, but research also shows that it can be caused by society and psychology.

There is a difference between true GID and those suffering other psychological conditions or sexual identity issues that identify as ''transgender''. Many of those are part of LGBT communities, and despite claims otherwise, those such communities are notoriously superficial.

'Transgender' implies they consider themselves another gender to that which they are psychically, but the fact is, it is just that their brain isn't making the normal hormonal connections or suffering psychological/developmental issues.

Research shows that such people post op aren't cured. Because they are not addressing the neurological issues, just superficial attempts at altering the physical.

steinhardt.nyu.edu...

a reply to: kaylaluv

Did you even read the article you linked?

. . . a neurological understanding of gender identity as it relates to sexual identity may allow both clinicians and the public increased exposure to constructs related to sex and gender. By increasing public knowledge about gender identity development beyond the hetero-normative tradition, we may be able to improve social acceptance for both children and adults diagnosed with GID, who do not fall in the traditional gender paradigm.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Because its not natural. /thread

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8fl0z
Because its not natural. /thread

Please define natural. Because the way I see it, if it doesn't violate the laws of physics then it is natural.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join