It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Woman Being Evicted From Her Own Land For Living in Tent

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

They destroyed her home, and now they want to cause her legal issues because of her response. I have the feeling this isn't as unusual as some might think. How often do cities do things to cause homeowners problems, then fine the homeowners for them?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A few years ago we were one of the last districts around with no building permits. The district held all sorts of rigged votes and pushed their agenda, despite the strongly anti-building code towns speaking out in protest. The officials shoved it through. Everyone was furious.

Most people were angry at the small print type of stuff... can't mill your own lumber and yet the stuff sold in stores is warped crap, can't live in a trailer while building, no more than a year and half to build which cuts out those without loans or building themselves and have little time. Meddling on a large scale and not about safety as there were even firefighters at the meetings complaining that engineered beams burn out much faster than traditional timbers which is what folks were talking about when milling their own logs. This is bush country and people have been doing it themselves a very long time.

One little town will be very sadly affected as its whole tourist trade derives from the unique architecture spanning many generations... now those businesses will not be able to even do repairs without hefty priced permits and fees for architects/engineers to concur with the plans. And no new ideas will keep the town fresh and afloat... Doomed to failure and it supports so much locally.

Oh don't get me started!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is an atrocity.

People have a right to sleep on the ground of THEIR land and the Government be damned. This is as basic a right as breathing and having fresh FREE water to drink.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

There is such a thing as the property owners not owning the lands BELOW ground they own, built on and developed....due to the gov. owning mineral rights. But, doesn't seem right that zoning laws or not...that they can evict her from her own property.

They can keep her from living in the tent as its not a "structure" per se, but I think she'd still own the law and not be thrown out of owning it.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wasn't it North Dakota that kicked out the big bankers early on due to their land being taken by them? Imagine if states adopted that.

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Where are all the activists from the Bundy Ranch to help defend this woman and her property? Where is the community to rally in support of this woman?

*sigh* Another perfect example of a divided people.

I agree and because she won't follow zoning laws, septic, even in similar situations, they'd rather side with the city and counties on it. Pretty sad though for our fellow citizens. Eventually it may affect even them too.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is an atrocity.

People have a right to sleep on the ground of THEIR land and the Government be damned. This is as basic a right as breathing and having fresh FREE water to drink.

Just as I have a right to not have to look at a tent in a lot. If she doesn't like it, she can go squat in the woods. If I don't like it, I am free to move anywhere as well. My feeling is, if you want to be a part of society and live within the confines of society, be prepared to follow the rules (bylaws) of the town/city you want to be a part of. This is very simple and has been going on for thousands of years. You join a group, you either agree that you can live by their rules, or you move on until you are satisfied.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stonecutter45
I am not "poor" , but they still have me by the short hairs . I wanted to down size and purchase a "tiny home" but my city forbids it. Your home must be X amount square feet within the city limits . Why , because of County Tax , city tax and the biggie ..... School tax . If I lived in a tiny home , there would be less to tax . Their words .

If I want to put up a fence , change out a window or hammer a nail in a tree , I must pay a fee for a permit , have a city inspector take measurements and inspect before and after . Why ? So they can raise my property taxes .

I buy the property , I pay A LOT in property taxes and the city tells me what I can and can not do on my property .

The city (garbage truck ) tore down a portion of my neighbors fence when they backed into it . After some measurements , the city claimed they placed the fence too close to road , a little less than 2 inches and refused to pay for it . Money was tight as they were both laid off so it was a project that had to be put on the back burner . They fined my neighbor for not repairing said fence as "unsightly" .

Another neighbor was fined for having a camper in his driveway , no recreational vehicles are aloud to be parked where they can seen from street view , must be parked in garage or behind the home or storage area . Yet the Mayor at the time had both a boat and camper parked in his front yard and driveway .

I miss living in the country where I could do what I wanted , when I wanted , how I wanted on my land . Did not have to be on the electric grid , we had our own well and could live how we wanted .

That'S the thing... despots are passing and makign these BS regulations and taxes enforced so that THEY can have it their way. Biggest criminals are always those hanging out with the government (either national or municipal). I think the only way to be free is to TAKE freedom according to your own rules. If this gets too risky, then it is WAR.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It'd be a good thing if Americans from this forum, her area, and elsewhere would support her in suing the municipal despots and folding back this horrid zoning law. Why not getting her a good lawyer that you know, sending her legal advice and some money for her trial?

Her liberty is yours, you know...

And yep, zoning rules are just about the most despotic decision taken from a desk you can probably think of... beside bulding new prisons and sending teens there.
edit on 15/5/15 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Just as I have a right to not have to look at a tent in a lot. If she doesn't like it, she can go squat in the woods. If I don't like it, I am free to move anywhere as well. My feeling is, if you want to be a part of society and live within the confines of society, be prepared to follow the rules (bylaws) of the town/city you want to be a part of. This is very simple and has been going on for thousands of years. You join a group, you either agree that you can live by their rules, or you move on until you are satisfied.

No. Her property rights trump your "I don't want to look at it" garbage.

Seriously, if you mess with someone's property, you have every right to have your teeth kicked-in, and I would gladly kick-in your authoritarian teeth.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Echtelion

I wish I could live in a community with people line you

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

No. Her property rights trump your "I don't want to look at it" garbage.

Seriously, if you mess with someone's property, you have every right to have your teeth kicked-in, and I would gladly kick-in your authoritarian teeth.

LOL thanks for the laugh tough guy!

Apparently you missed the last part of my post where I say that it was her choice to live there and by choosing to live in society, you agree to follow their rules. Think first, then act. It will take you further. lol...kick in my teeth! Classic!

Edit: I'm sorry, I said it was very simple, I failed to realize people would have quite a bit of trouble understanding this very simple concept of society.

edit on 15-5-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Apparently you missed the last part of my post where I say that it was her choice to live there and by choosing to live in society, you agree to follow their rules. Think first, then act. It will take you

Property rights trump mob-rule. Piss on your social contract.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

Apparently you missed the last part of my post where I say that it was her choice to live there and by choosing to live in society, you agree to follow their rules. Think first, then act. It will take you

Property rights trump mob-rule. Piss on your social contract.

It's not mob rule, it's a social contract and by wanting to live like a civilized person, she should have to follow civilized law. Like I said, if you have trouble operating within the confines of society and the rules that people expect to come with it, don't pretend to be a part of society. It really shouldn't be too difficult for you to understand.

I understand you don't want civil, property, personal, human rights to be pissed on, but, we don't get to pick and choose which laws, social mores, norms, etc we get to follow when we want to be part of civilized society. Let me know if you are still having trouble sport and I'll attempt to make it easier to understand.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You don't own anything.

The government can take everything from you at any time and other than dying in a hail of bullets, there's nothing you can do about it. You don't own your home, your vehicle, your possessions, or the money in your bank account.

A friend of mine had $15,000 pulled out of her bank account because of an error made by the IRS. It took her 3 weeks of supplying them with the paperwork that THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD ON FILE to get them to release the funds.

Another friend had his account emptied to the tune of $7500 because the state somehow got the idea that he was behind on his child support payments. It took him 3 months to get it back and it destroyed his credit because he couldn't pay his bills.

When dealing with the federal government, you're typically guilty until you can prove your innocence.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

It's not mob rule, it's a social contract and by wanting to live like a civilized person, she should have to follow civilized law. Like I said, if you have trouble operating within the confines of society and the rules that people expect to come with it, don't pretend to be a part of society. It really shouldn't be too difficult for you to understand.

Ahhhh.......social contract. Funny thing about contracts. Both parties have to be aware that the contract exists in the first place. I have never seen this supposed "contract", nor do I even know the wording a terms. And for a contract to be valid, it must be signed. And I definitely didn't do that.

This invisible "social contract" is totalitarian nonsense to justify excessive statism and intrusion.

I understand you don't want civil, property, personal, human rights to be pissed on, but, we don't get to pick and choose which laws, social mores, norms, etc we get to follow when we want to be part of civilized society.

Like hell we don't. It's how civilizations grow, change, and develop. Breaking the rules and flipping the finger to the law and power is how this country got started in the first place. Immoral or unethical laws should always be broken.

History was made by people who told the authorities to shove their "social contracts" where the sun don't shine, and broke all sorts of laws.

Socrates
Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King
Jesus
Galileo
Tyndale
Martin Luther
Nelson Mandella
Gandhi
The Founding Fathers

Lighten up and loosen the jackboots a little, eh?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Yep. That's pretty much it. The rules always favor the rule writers, not the ruled. Hell, dealing with any part of the establishment on any matter of legal/civil significance you are overwhelmingly screwed.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Move to Oklahoma. Much more affordable to live here!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The thing that always blocks eco farms, sharing a chunk of land with family and friends, and little homes, what you can do, is zoning laws. Just like their zoning for home businesses, they absolutely block people escaping their evil world and enslaving/impoverishing them within this system, that is the very thing that makes all their soul traps and traps unlawful, because there are very few outs or choices.

However, have been posting for years that communities need to form citizens groups that flex their muscles, both locally, provincially or state wise, then federally, gradually gaining trust in their own abilities so they stop voting in psycho's who they are strong enough to run a country, and realize they always had the power and can elect their own.

You begin locally, solving problems, ie land donations different ones, some for the more drug abuse homeless, some for the families without those problems, you can't mix groups up or you'd here of more children being attacked etc, you need different land donations, and yurts, lots of mobile homes, all those important things that would eliminate the massive theft of freedom and resources from the people by the elite, that all those zoning laws prevent.

And people have to flex their muscles and vote out anyone that would ever block those changes.

For example ,never mind living in a tent, or if she could, a yurt, on her own property. Why can't we have mobile homes, why can't we have 2-5 acre parcels with several mobile homes, if they're landscaped with 1/4 acre yards around them nicely, and share the greenhouses and workshops, so whole families can earn money? Its not really an eye sore, its more about control of people and they want to disempower others.

No one has the right to stop others from doing any of the things I've mentioned. Its time people form groups , get education out to others, and meet with their local elected employees, on a regular basis until things change...!!!!!
edit on 16-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Mind if I pose as the devils advocate for a minute?...

I dont want tent villages in my neighborhood. Nor do I want homes where disrepair and unsafe conditions exist. I like my neighborhood just the way it is. Zoned, permitted, and reasonably controlled.

Now I shall run inside and lock the doors and hide from the wrath that is sure to ensue...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

People/families all over the nation are living in tent cities, not out of choice, but out of necessity. How is it in the land of the free and home of the brave, how can what you want can trump what another person can do on there own land?

In the USA most urban areas has building codes and this system works, however in states like Texas there are next to no building or zoning codes and it also works. The off grid and minimalism movements are gaining in popularity and in areas where building and zoning codes exist there should be plan B's or alternatives to the status quo. The government shouldn't have the right to force you into buying any product such as auto insurance, health care or to use a utility in order to be legal.

Green technology for black water and grey water systems should be real and viable alternatives to on grid tech and infrastructure. I feel the government should be encouraging self sustaining lifestyles, and not in the business of forcing residence into using on grid infrastructure in the goal of collecting more fees and taxes.

Evicting this woman is violating her supposed right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
edit on 16-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join