It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Marine Helicopter missing in Nepal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A U.S. Marine helicopter has gone missing in Nepal. There were 6 Marines and 2 Nepalese soldiers on board.
At the moment Aerial searches have been suspended due the dark. The helicopter crew had just delivered relief supplies to one village, and while making their way to he next delivery.. other crews in the area heard the pilot mention having a fuel problem.

This came after the second quake in 3 weeks. Nepalese and Pentagon authorities believe they know where the Huey was last reported. Foot crews are making their way to the area. Para rescue is in the area practicing, but has not yet been deployed.

Not much more info as of the safety and whereabouts of the helicopter.

"The aircraft is part of Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 469. It had just dropped off supplies at one area and was en route to a second location"

Prayer and good thoughts go out to the people of Nepal and the return of the flight crew.

Links here..

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 12-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: fix link

www.nbcsandiego.com...
edit on 12-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Let's hope they were able to safely land and it is now just a matter of them hiking to higher ground.

US Army Col Steve Warren has said they cannot confirm the account of a fuel problem, reported by a nearby Indian helicopter crew, and that it is possible this helicopter has landed in a low lying field or area from which they cannot get a signal out -- per NPR.
edit on 12-5-2015 by newyr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: newyr

In the event of a crash. Does the Beacon automatically turn on? I didn't realize that if the transponder or beacon was in such a thick area, that it would not be received.
Finger are crossed. Hope they are found.
That area of the world has gone through to much.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

If I read everything correctly they went missing this morning right after 9am EST. I understand that it was night then but shouldn't they have been able to search for signals during this 12 hour window?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The ELT is normally activated by impact sensors but can also be activated manually.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

It's a big area and if they're in a valley or low lying area you'd have to be almost directly over them to hear a signal.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That's the problem. The emergency beacon did not turn on. And as NewYr said. If they landed in a low lying field. The signal can not get out.

It should be light there now. Search crews should be able to resume their search by air.
I'm not sure if some of the other helicopters were equipped with I.R. Cameras or F.L.I.R. . Which would aid in the night search. If the photos are of the Huey itself. It looks to me that there is night vision. But that's only one of them.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you for both those responses.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The fact that he may have radioed that they had a problem may be a good sign. That means he knew something was wrong, and would have been looking for a flat area to land.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

That's what I was hoping.

Now if this dang tablet would quit shutting down.. I might find an update .
To bad FlightWare24 doesn't track all military air craft. But I'll check there too.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Our tax dollars should be spent at home, not abroad. It is not our job to save the world.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I work on Camp Pendleton now and try to get some details. I share an office cubicle with retired Marine Corporation Huey pilot..probably same unit number.

I hope this turns-out for the best for them.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite
That would be great. The search most certainly must have resumed by now. Last update was four hour ago.. and not a word.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Not a word about this on base today.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Nothing new as of about an hour ago. They landed close to where the earthquake today hit though.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Another earthquake or the one from yesterday?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The one yesterday their time. Still today our time. They came down before it hit, close to where the epicenter was.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Wow.. talk about insult to injury.. that's bad.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The Huey was an UH-1Z with twin engines. If it was a fuel problem hopefully it only effected one engine. Operating in the mountains is always difficult for choppers in the best of situations. I'm praying for the crew.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Last update buy CNN at 8pm est.
Still the same..

www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join