It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ameritox Urine Drug Test has destroyed my doctor/patient relationship... literally.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
After 15 years with the same GP (general practitioner) I was asked to provide a sample for a UDT. One nurse said "It's just something we started doing" another said "We're required by law."

A week later I receive a registered letter which states:

"On 4/23/15 a drug test was performed which shows you are not taking the controlled substance prescribed. This in in violation of your drug agreement and we will no longer continue your care. We will see you for an emergency only for the next thirty days. During this time we will not prescribe any controlled substances. If you feel you need drug rehabilitation please contact our office for a referral. We will send your records to the physician of your choice."

Just like that. No follow-up appt to discuss this test. I called and they would not let me see the doctor, but they did give me a copy of the test results. My insurance statement came, and over $1300 was charged by Ameritox, and is not covered.

FACTS:
*I am not on any opiates/pain meds which this company touts the ability to monitor.

*I have not signed a 'drug agreement' as referenced in the letter.

*No illegal drugs were detected.

*Only substances I am prescribed were detected.

*The drug in question is Adderall, which WAS detected but at a level below the cut-off (based on some algorithm that is considered a 'company secret.')

*No one asked me when I took the last dose. That column in the report shows N/A, yet levels in the urine are impacted by just that, among other things.

*The report lists the dosage as 30mg/day. The correct dosage (as listed on the bottle) is 15mg 2X per day. My research tells me this can impact results due to half-life of Adderall.

*I did not take a dose that morning b/c of an unresolved blood pressure issue-- and one of the nurses the previous month told me Adderall raises BP, and if mine continued to be this high, I could have a stroke. The last dose (10mg) was 3:00pm the previous day-- 24 hours before the UDT.

*I told her then, and the doctor, that I was taking as little as possible until my blood pressure got under control. They condoned this.

*I have contacted a new doctor, who will make a decision in 3 weeks whether or not to accept me as a patient. I fear the letter will interfere with his decision. My blood pressure issue remains unresolved.

*The words "shows you are not taking the controlled substance" are categorically incorrect. (The test may 'suggest' that, but it does not SHOW it... since it clearly shows a value of 44 ng/ml of amphetamines in the sample.)

*My urine pH, creatinine, and specific gravity levels (according to my research) contributed to the low ng/mg reading.

*I received an insurance statement with a charge of over $1300 from Ameritox that is not covered by insurance.

*I feel abandoned by my physician of nearly 15 years.

*The letter in my medical file is false and damaging and may prevent me from receiving medical care from a reputable, competent physician.

*On the Ameritox website, it clearly states:

“Rx GuardianSM is and has always been one valuable, but never the only, source of evidence about medication adherence.”
Ameritox Reports

and...

*My research has uncovered the rulings in a court case which declare:

• Four of Ameritox’s advertisements constituted false advertising.
• Urine drug testing “cannot determine the timing or quantity of the drug taken by the patent” and any claim that it can do so “would be literally false.”
• Ameritox admitted that some patients it labeled as using medication improperly may in fact have been compliant with their regimens.
• Going forward, Ameritox will not state that its services “can tell whether patients are taking their pain medications consistent with the prescribed dosage.”
Court Rulings

If anyone... anyone can suggest how I might cope with this situation, my heart-felt appreciation goes out to you!

edit on 5/12/2015 by new_here because: (no reason given)

+56 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Contact a lawyer immediately. This is a new feature of medical totalitarianism. You must make every attempt to stay off the radar. Make them purge the record and drop the pill pusher.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Contact a lawyer immediately. This is a new feature of medical totalitarianism. You must make every attempt to stay off the radar. Make them purge the record and drop the pill pusher.

How do I find a good lawyer? I am not in the know on how to do this. Thanking you in advance for any advice on this.

+11 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I take adderall, too. You need a lawyer. Go to Avvo and find the best one in your area and get in contact to talk. Make a big stink. You did nothing wrong. You had levels of the drug in your system. People metabolize it differently.

But why did you have to submit the urine screen? I'd never say yes to that. Do you have like bad insurance or something? Mine (my parents insurance) would never submit me to that kind of thing. It's dehumanizing and really insulting. And ADHD people are forgetful--so missing a dose isn't a big deal. Everyone does it who takes adderall. everyone. same with accidentally taking one too many because you forgot. Like what the hell.

Raise hell please.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yes this sounds like total garbage, doctors get paid to see you and to give you meds, they in many cases, would rather be selling you chemicals to help you than not to - finding help with this sort of obviously unfair and frankly insane test/consequence should not be difficult.

I really do hope that someone on ATS has been dealt a similar card and can help more specifically with your situation. Hopefully you can get this all sorted out quickly and without legal expenses you shouldnt have to use or pay for.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Perhaps you should look for an attorney/law practice that specializes in healthcare law. This could be helpful:

FindLawyer

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you - that's not right at all. When will they be satisfied, when everyone asks permission for every little thing? When we are all so discouraged that we don't even stick up for ourselves anymore? It's Sickening! I really hope you can get this sorted out - my thoughts are with you
edit on 12-5-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

With most health care policies you can file an appeal. That would give you some relief from the cost of the test, whether you had unwittingly agreed to it or not.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Contact a bunch of lawyers, it might take a bit of work but you may find a good one willing to do pro bono or on contingency . Your getting a raw deal and I feel for you, hopefully you can find another doctor soon.
My employer had great results getting his blood pressure down with Hawthorn Berry tea..Hibiscus too I think.

+10 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I go through this monthly.

You will be labeled a drug abuser under Obama's new rules.

This will interfere with your care for years.

Demand to see your Doctor. Although, he will still cut you off.

Not having proper levels is worse than an illegal substances.

They think you are selling your meds...I hate the mockery we must go through.

I wish they would leave these Doctors alone.

+1 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Avvo.com

Actually, if you want contact my lawyer, Anthony Cotton. He's a defense lawyer. He will talk with you for free. Call him or email him from the info on Avvo and he will respond quickly (he's really good with that) and you can ask him what kind of lawyer you should get and just read what you posted here to him. He is kind and I'm sure he will direct you to someone he knows who will help you. He's a great guy. Even after working for me, he still takes emails and answers me with detailed legal advice for free. He is a wonderful advocate and please just ask him what you should do/what kind of lawyer you need. And keep us/me posted because I want to know what happens with this.

I want you to get vindicated. Because this is so b.s. and you don't deserve this at all. Blows my mind. You must fight this. DOn't pay the $1300 yet until you get legal advice.

Anthony Cotton is the type of man who will want to help you out of this injustice and if he doesn't give you the name of a fantastic lawyer in your area/doesn't help you a ton I'll eat my shoe. Try the Avvo.com and just email Cotton to start out with. He is a lawyer you can honestly trust because he's a good human being who actually has integrity. He's smart as hell. See what he has to say and go from there. Don't mess with shady lawyers/trying to find one out of nowhere. Just ask this guy and I promise this hell of finding a lawyer will become not a hell and will be a lot more clear and easy. I'm confident that he will help you find your needle in the haystack. Please give my suggestion a shot. I think it will work out well for you.
edit on 12-5-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

This is the first time in the 15 years I have gone to this practice, that they've done this urine test.

I have done a ton of research about this company Ameritox. They sell their services to physicians, claiming they can tell if a patient is compliant with their prescriptions. They got in trouble for advertising that they could pinpoint dosage and time the medications were taken, because all studies indicate people metabolize differently due to many factors.

They are hoodwinking doctors nonetheless, claiming they can 'help' them make sure patients are compliant, thereby 'protecting' the patient, and the doctor's license. (Yeah, I feel REAL protected. I got no doc. Just false words written about me that I am pretty sure constitute Libel.)

They are all about sales. They got their start with drug testing on the job, but just recently turned their focus on where the money really is... the doctor's offices. Their turnover rate of employees is ridiculously high, and their service is ridiculously expensive (the industry refers to urine as liquid gold) and clearly not as accurate as they claim it is.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Oh...I see. They drug test you to see if you're taking the drug and not just selling the prescriptions, right?

I was wondering why they'd be drug testing you. This seems like a messed up way to keep prescription drugs off the streets.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Hop on that class action lawsuit when it comes....I remember Aetna had some thing where you had to pay everything first then they would reimburse you but they weren't doing it right or it would take forever...they were eventually sued. Don't remember much about it but these companies usually get hammered eventually.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

www.avvo.com...

read the reviews. he specializes in the type of thing that you are dealing with.

and as I said, I am extremely confident that he will be very interested in helping you find the legal counsel you deserve.

heres one review:

"The lawyer that other lawyers call when we get in trouble

I am one of the few people in the position of getting to endorse Tony as both a client and a fellow lawyer. When I got accused of a crime by an over-aggressive DA, there was only one attorney i could call, Tony Cotton. Thanks to Tony, I was never charged with any crime. I know that there are at least two other Attorneys who have called Tony when they got into trouble too and there is a really... "

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I work in the IT medical field. Unfortunately I can tell you this is going to be a growing issue.

Dr.s are now penalized for patients who return within a certain time frame and if they can prove a patient did not follow the prescribed routine they can boot you and get the gov kick backs that they would otherwise be penalized for.

I am sorry, I wish I had better news, perhaps the other posters are right and a lawyer could help but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.

At some point (in the near future) even home health nurses will be visiting at home patients to ensure this very thing. This is our new healthcare system.

The greater your healthcare need, the more they will have to justify why they see you. This is their way of cleaning their slate of patients that (though they may want to treat and yes I know many Doctors who do not like this) are in bad health and require frequent visits. ESPECIALLY if those visits consist of any kind of ER or Urgent care visit within 30 days of any appointment.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Is this drug something that you can just stop taking without side effects? I can't understand why they would revoke a necessary prescription just like that, with no recourse. It seems really irresponsible!

I'd find a lawyer, if I were you!

edit on 12-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Oh...I see. They drug test you to see if you're taking the drug and not just selling the prescriptions, right?

I was wondering why they'd be drug testing you. This seems like a messed up way to keep prescription drugs off the streets.

Esp when the drug test ends up costing you 1300$, i mean who can afford that? Your not drug dealers, thats them!

edit on b27271216 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Contact a bunch of lawyers, it might take a bit of work but you may find a good one willing to do pro bono or on contingency . Your getting a raw deal and I feel for you, hopefully you can find another doctor soon.
My employer had great results getting his blood pressure down with Hawthorn Berry tea..Hibiscus too I think.

Thank you. Thank you ALL.
I know that I have been wronged and needed to at least speak to a lawyer, and at all of your urgings I believe I am feeling the strength-of-spirit to go forward and at least 'state my case' to lawyers who specialize in health law. And I do appreciate the suggestion of multiple lawyers, in hopes that one can help me without draining my income.

Thank you all so very much. Rukia, I will start with yours. For at least advice on how to proceed, if that is not his specialty.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

If all this is true, contact a lawyer. Immediately.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Yes, you are correct. Well, it's this:
*I you have illegal drugs detected, they will dismiss you and report you.
*If you have legal substances not prescribed by them, they will dismiss you.
*If you do not have the right levels of what they prescribe you, they will dismiss you.

Sort of a lose-lose for the patient, considering YOU get sacked with a bill of $1300 for the lying test.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join