It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fermi Paradox — Where Are All The Aliens?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth I cannot imagine any scientific aliens or inter-dimensional beings not wanting to examine and experiment on not just us - but all facets of our world, moon, solar system and sun. After all, there be life here!

I can. In fact that is the premise of a series of sci-fi short stories I plan to debut on ATS.

Basically, we assume we'd be interesting but to a species billions of years older we may be as interesting as an ant hill.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Where did all this rubbish come from in terms of humans being a warmonging species. Over the last few centuries on average less than 0.00015% of the population has fought in war at any one time.

For the most part we are a very docile population, wanting to get ahead in life, bringing up our families, make products and services and art.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: data5091

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: data5091
Just caught this, and its something I and many many others believe. Life is everywhere in the cosmos/universe. Some of it has been and is continuing to visit us. We are being watched and studied. I think there is a TON of life as we know it, and alot of life as we don't know it. For example, some scientists all ready are thinking that there may be life on Tian already. WE have no idea yet, if there is something, somethings swimming in its methane lakes and rivers. Indeed it looks more promising there is life in our solar systems moon, than its planets. We are going to find out soon as NASA and the European Space Agency is planning trips to Europa and maybe Enceladus another moon, that some scientists think may harbor life. Something to ponder...

Well I'm assuming you mean titan. And yeah there may be life but nothing like we would recognize realize the entire planet is hydrocarbons. Basically need an organism that can live in gasoline. Don't think it would lead to higher life forms.

You may be right, but we don't know that yet. I think anything is possible, we just do not know yet. IN time we may know more as we find more and more and more solar systems and exoplanets.

Higher life needs a lot more in terms of energy. Anything is not possible. What is possible is limited by physics, chemistry and the environmental conditions an organism would have to exist in.

Complex life requires a lot more than simple life. Even simple life is very hard to see getting started on Titan.

One reason I say that is because chemical reactions which form complexity (which leads to things like DNA and RNA) take a lot longer in cold conditions, if they take place at all.

The conditions on Titan are not favorable for higher forms of life of any sort.

Even microbes would have a hard time. It's an incredibly cold place. That said, we should still look for at least simple life there since complex chemistry is taking place, even if it is at a snails pace.

edit on 8-5-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brazen
Where did all this rubbish come from in terms of humans being a warmonging species. Over the last few centuries on average less than 0.00015% of the population has fought in war at any one time.

For the most part we are a very docile population, wanting to get ahead in life, bringing up our families, make products and services and art.

You start a few centuries ago. Most start 200,000 years ago.

Also we as a planet spend most of our resources primarily on warfare and entertainment. In some countries the two have unfortunately become synonymous.

But this too shall pass.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hi OP,

We simply should wait and be found, like a child that is lost in a dark. Not saying attempts are futile but rather hope should stay high, positive.

Watched episode from Star Trek Voyager last night, where the phrase by Seven went like:

"..if Borg found this probe, Earth would have been assimilated hundred years ago..", or something like this.

cheers))

DO.
edit on 8-5-2015 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2015 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Since I saw the drake equation mentioned I thought I'd post this here since many probably never read my The Drake Equation - Illustrated and Clarified (INFOGRAPHIC)

Now since I put that together there have been a couple of interesting new lines of research. Instead of 40% of all stars having an a warm, wet, terrestrial planet, new research indicates that each star could have on average, 2 habitable planets

If so then that 0.40 becomes 2.0. And that's just planets. What about exomoons?

Also there is new research indicating habitable Earth-sized moons around giant exoplanets may be the most common place life arises in our galaxy.

If so then our Solar System might be a rare one in that it only has one clearly habitable planet or moon, while others have more than one.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Sounds riveting! I can't wait to read it Jade Star.

I'll be looking forward to it.

CdT

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Gemwolf

Flora are natural to this planet needing only the sustenance the planet and sun provides.

Fauna appears to cope very well with the planets environment and has evolved and adapted to the planets changes with time.

There is only one species that appears out of place, for instance, with it's natural "skin" this species gets sunburnt easily and can die with minutes in cold environments. So, to adapt, it has done what no other species needs to do - it has created artificial environments on this planet to survive - a fundamental requirement of this is the destruction of the planets natural flora and fauna.

This species I talk of, in my opinion, is not native to this planet but has been introduced to it and is therefore the aliens we are searching for. Maybe we are looking at this whole scenario incorrectly.

Can you guess the species I speak of?, they are destructive yet ironically amazingly loving and do not have the capability to yet find who or what actually placed them on the planet because their philosophers and scientists think each other are wrong when both are correct..........soon though.

Hammer, meet Nail.

Nice post

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

JS, I remember that thread you did on the Drake Equation, it was a good one.

You know, others here have mentioned warp drives or warp speed possibly being used by Aliens in order to reach us, but I never understood the theory myself.

Let me explain, How could they set coordinates that would avoid any space matter while traveling at such a high speed, you know what I mean? ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It is amazing in most respects but quite understandable in one respect, and that is that all of the jabbering humans do about ETs has more to do with the human side of it than from any other position. The fact that governments and fields of science refuse to acknowledge that the ETs are here in the common UFOs that we have been witnessing for over half a century is evidence of that folly. It is a fundamental human trait to ignore, deny and explain way that which is unacceptable to the consensus reality at the time.

The ETs recognize that failing in human nature and have been accommodating us for a long time now, but they patiently wait for us to acknowledge our grand ignorance. It is just as well, our spirit will be broken, a defeated civilization by its own hand.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

It is amazing in most respects but quite understandable in one respect, and that is that all of the jabbering humans do about ETs has more to do with the human side of it than from any other position. The fact that governments and fields of science refuse to acknowledge that the ETs are here in the common UFOs that we have been witnessing for over half a century is evidence of that folly.

If UFOs represented ET visitation they wouldn't be unidentified.

If ET visited Earth science would readily acknowledge and be scientists would be climbing all over each other to study ET and all things ET related if that were there ample evidence.

UFOs exist. Science acknowledges that people see things which such people can not identify. Often the same people reject the scientific explanation of what they saw so that leaves scientists to scratch their heads and leave the conversation. Science does not exist to validate your personal belief. It exists to determine truth.

ET might exist but the jury is still out. Even if we had proof ET exists that still would not mean UFOs would be ET in nature.

Don't confuse the two.

The UFO phenomena might be interesting but its source is probably much closer to home than the nearest ET civilization.

Nothing UFOs do to me represents anything a space-faring intelligent civilization would do to initiate first contact if that is in fact what you believe.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If, according to the new theory of the universe is shrinking, you will never achieve intergalactic travel.

If interstellar travel can work, and the theory of shrinking is true, then you are gonna reach miniscule lifeforms at best, but cannot determine if they are intelligent or not, due to size ?

And many more if's ----

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
If, according to the new theory of the universe is shrinking, you will never achieve intergalactic travel.

If interstellar travel can work, and the theory of shrinking is true, then you are gonna reach miniscule lifeforms at best, but cannot determine if they are intelligent or not, due to size ?

And many more if's ----

The universe is expanding not shrinking.

Ironically universal inflation is one thing which lead to the idea of "warp drives" being viable.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Ironically unversal inflation is one thing which lead to the idea of "warp drives" being viable.

How do you know for sure it is expanding? And into what ?
It would look like a firecracker going off, and then result in nothing... how can that be, if you cannot destroy energy, unless it's x-ray introduced deterioration, which can only form from exploding stars and black holes ?

Meaning everything is fading into ... what ?

I think the theory of nucleus deterioration fits better ? But sadly it rules out intergalactic travel somehow ? lots of Q's here

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If a psychologist got a big government grant to study people and set up an institute with several rooms, a receptionist, and a one way mirror for one of the walls in each room, and advertised in the paper that free group therapy will be provided to anyone wishing to partake, attendees would not know who, if anyone, was on the other side of the mirror, and might conclude that no psychologists are present. Aliens may have technology such that we might never be aware of them,either. They may not want us to be aware of their existence because it would complicate their research if we knew we were being watched

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

This would seem to be based on the assumption that there hasn't been contact with Aliens...

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

originally posted by: JadeStar

Ironically unversal inflation is one thing which lead to the idea of "warp drives" being viable.

How do you know for sure it is expanding?

We know the universe is expanding because the guy who the Hubble Space Telescope was named after. Edwin Hubble.

Basically he proved the universe was expanding due to observing the light from distant galaxies was redshifted. The rate of expansion is also named after him. It's called the Hubble Constant.

Google it.

And into what ?

Short answer: Non-universe
Better, more complete answer.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: deerislander
If a psychologist got a big government grant to study people and set up an institute with several rooms, a receptionist, and a one way mirror for one of the walls in each room, and advertised in the paper that free group therapy will be provided to anyone wishing to partake, attendees would not know who, if anyone, was on the other side of the mirror, and might conclude that no psychologists are present. Aliens may have technology such that we might never be aware of them,either. They may not want us to be aware of their existence because it would complicate their research if we knew we were being watched

Then they might as well be angles and demons and faries and santa claus.

In other words, not very interesting from a science perspective of learning what is real.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation

JS, I remember that thread you did on the Drake Equation, it was a good one.

You know, others here have mentioned warp drives or warp speed possibly being used by Aliens in order to reach us, but I never understood the theory myself.

Let me explain, How could they set coordinates that would avoid any space matter while traveling at such a high speed, you know what I mean? ~$heopleNation

Ok, here's Alcubierre warp drive physics 101 as far as I know from watching Dr. White's NASA lecture.

The warp ship itself is not travelling faster than light. It is inside a warp "bubble". So in local space/time it is travelling say only 10% the speed of light but the warp bubble itself, which is like a pimple on the fabric of space/time is causing its effective speed to be faster than light because while nothing in our physical universe can travel faster than light, space/time itself -can-.

So the answer is the warp bubble itself acts as a sort of shield since objects in normal space time would could not impact the ship since the bubble is in fact bending normal space time around it so any micrometeorites etc would be bent around it as well.

Also space at interstellar distances is vastly empty. the chances of running into anything are no, pun, astronomical.

Stormbringer1701 on the Space Exploration forums knows more about warp drive research than i do, so U2U him or ask him over there. He's a member of the NASA Spaceflight forum.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

“Culture is the effort to hold back the mystery, and replace it with a mythology.”
– Terence McKenna

I love Terence McKenna.
edit on 8-5-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join