It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Caught in Pennsylvania Tests Positive for Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Wow! This is environmental masturbation because we're really screwing ourselves.

Cancerous fish? If this isn't a sign of man's affect on the environment then I don't know what is. What says ATS?

Tried to embed but didn't work. Sorry.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 7-5-2015 by lostbook because: word change

edit on 7-5-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

is it not beyond comprehension that a fish would have cancer. i'v e been aware of this for a while.
here is a article from 2009.

it says that there are probably two things that cause or are suspected to cause cancer in fish and animals.
pollution and viruses.

Cancer Kills Wild Animals Too

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Animals have been getting and dying from cancer just as long as humans have. How is this news?

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I had never thought about fish with cancer. I googled it and it appears that many different species (including sharks) can indeed get cancer! Weird. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
imagine being the fish and getting all this bad news at once!
"A hook! iḿ out of water! now they are telling me i'm gonna die!"

cancer in fish is probably just as common as with people, common tank fish can get it, and even sharks, although most people have heard the "sharks don't get cancer!" nonsense.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There were tumors on fish in the copper country, caused by mining they say. They used the angiogenesis caused by copper tailings from the copper mines to evaluate the reason behind the cancerous growths. I fished a lot in the area and only found the tumors in a couple of places, the places near where the sewer plants let their discharge into Portage lake. They spent a lot of money covering up small areas of the mining sands to reduce the copper and abandoned the super fund spending because they could not get it much better as there were a lot of the tailings from mining operations dumped into the lakes up there.

Now, the copper in the water is what fueled the cancer, but it is not what caused the cancer. I feel that some kind of chemistry in the cleaned sewer water is what was triggering the cancer in the fish. Where the concentration was the highest, next to where the plants "considered safe" water was let out is where the highest concentration was.

Sewer plants are not designed to neutralize all chemistry. The meds we pee out are not all removed from the wastewater, the plants are not designed to do that. The chemicals we use in our daily use are not all detoxified. But the regulations governing the sewer discharge do not examine everything, the parameters do not include testing for many things.

I caught around three northern pikes with big growths on them and some perch and other kinds of fish. I just quit fishing in those areas which actually were by the sewer plants.
edit on 7-5-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There have been warnings about the fish in PA for YEARS!
The Mon River & Ohio river have been non-edible for years, it's taken them forever to get the Allegheny River sort of cleaned up. The Fish Commission puts out warnings every year where it's only catch & release due to the fish not being safe to eat.

Everyone here pretty much knows you only fish the upper Allegheny if you plan on catching anything worth eating.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
it says that there are probably two things that cause or are suspected to cause cancer in fish and animals.
pollution and viruses.

So it's safe to say that viruses can cause cancer in humans too. Which means an individual would be rather off never getting a certain virus than getting the vaccine which contains the virus.

Vaccines gives us a particular protection while slightly weakening the rest of our immune system, at least that's what I believe.

Back on subject, with everything we dump in our waters, I'm not surprised to see fishes with cancers!

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Double Post
edit on 7-5-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Heavy metals too and while this is isn't new it makes sense to pay attention to.

The other side of the coin is that everything has cancer and always has. Immune systems typically keep it in check but, not always or forever, it is just the nature of being made out of meat.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have a rather extensive handbook of fish diseases that helps you diagnose and treat where possible, and tumor/cancer is one of the possibilities for fish.

All it takes for an organism to get cancer is for something to cause abnormal cellular division which means a mutation in the cell. Lots of things can cause that, even just a mistake in cellular division associated with age.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well i believe we can rule out smoking as a cause.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Anything can get cancer.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I was at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square last weekend and saw a fish that had obvious tumors on its back just behind the dorsal fin but before the tail.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
So? Cancer isn't communicable. I don't see your point.

new topics

top topics

join