It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos Can Cause Apple Watches To Malfunction....sorry if you are sleeved!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
No more sleeves for you Apple Watch wearers....wonder how they are going to figure this one out. That would be a bummer for me.....good thing I could care less about having an Apple watch, or a watch at all for that matter.

Early adopters of the new Apple Watch have found that the device malfunctions when worn by people with wrist tattoos.

The issue was first pointed out on Reddit by a tattooed user who complained that his watch would regularly lose connection, and report inaccurate heart rate results.

Scores of other users then reported similar issues.

Apple Watch requests a security PIN immediately after detecting that it has left an owner's wrist, meaning that those affected are forced to repeatedly enter their code.

Darker tattoos appear to cause more problems for the device than light inkings.

Tattoos can cause Apple watches to Malfunction

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Life can be difficult in the first world.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai

This is the science and tech forum, we don't have to feed every homeless person before we discuss current tech issues.

I guess none of the apple engineers who tested this had wrist tattoos. :/

edit on 30-4-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

This is the science and tech forum, we don't have to feed every homeless person before we discuss current tech issues.

Yeah....I am actually a bit shocked they had this issue come up.....I would think someone in R&D is getting a tongue lashing at this point. Not really sure how they could fix it though because of how the sensor works.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When your product is marketed at trendy hipsters who have tattoos, isn't that something you should account for?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

I bet it will from now on...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Should this be a big surprise? Didn't they have a phone that you couldn't hold a certain way?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

which actually seems kinda surprising to me, but it does certainly seem that way. Haven't had a chance to read actual article yet, so I'm wondering what the issue is. I'm thinking there's like a sensor that the ink interferes with. In which case, I'd consider it both a design flaw and QA fail.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

How is this possible, I mean, how in the world the tattoos are causing this, anyone have an idea?

I don't get it.

edit on 30-4-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: MythMaster

which actually seems kinda surprising to me, but it does certainly seem that way. Haven't had a chance to read actual article yet, so I'm wondering what the issue is. I'm thinking there's like a sensor that the ink interferes with. In which case, I'd consider it both a design flaw and QA fail.

It is the way the sensor works:

The problem should have been foreseeable - Apple has already explained that it measures heart rate by analysing light absorption through the skin

So with a tattoo it block light absorption and the watch locks as if it doesn't recognize it is on your wrist.

link   
People who want big brother on their body desesves this kinda crap (technology)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

With it measuring light shooting through the skin, you would think they tried different skin colors and obviously the possibility of a tatoo.. That's just bad product testing.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This reminds me of an episode of "Better Off Ted" where the company (whose name I can't remember) installs new sensors in all of their rooms and on all of their doors that will turn the lights off when there's no one in the room... or open the door when someone is coming. It was a great idea to save lots of money on lighting rooms, or on loss of air conditioned air to the outside. The only problem was that the sensors would only work on light-coloured skin.

Naturally, that led to some people thinking the system worked beautifully... and others thinking that it was racially profiling them.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So what happens if you're black. I mean really dark skinned.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
So it won't work on me? I have a dark skin.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Calibration!!
Surely there's a way to calibrate for individual skin tone/color? I would have though a simple firmaware update ought to solve the problem.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What is so great with this watch? It looks... crap honestly.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Never mind

edit on 30-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Looks at both arms.... Looks like I am out of luck. Glad I don't have one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join