It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Will Robbie Parker be there? Grinning and smirking?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
By God we have gun control AND free speech complaints all in one thread. Sit down, shut up, and hang on people!

I think Breitbart jumped the gun a little. The group claims (on their site, with no "success story" section) to offer financial assistance to those affected by the event. But, like I said, they don't say anything on their site about how much money they've doled out to the families versus how much has gone to their other activities.

And I think the OP wants so badly to hate the right and gun owners that they just couldn't wait to apply the broad brush to anybody who owns a gun. And then when dissenting opinions come in, the free speech crap comes flying in.

Free speech is a two way street. One can say nearly anything one cares to. And one must be prepared for the response to ones comment. That's how discourse and debate works. You don't get to preach from your ivory tower and consider yourself unassailable in return.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Stop blaming the guns and start blaming the human beings.

It is easier in the U.S. for one to buy a gun, than it is to get professional help for mental illness.

Do you have a cliché to fix that problem too?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Stop blaming the guns and start blaming the human beings.

It is easier in the U.S. for one to buy a gun, than it is to get professional help for mental illness.

Do you have a cliché to fix that problem too?

Are you offering a solution other than take all guns away?

Start blaming the humans. Guns don't shoot themselves.

If someone needs mental help, their families aren't doing them any favors by not trying to get them help. Fall back on that one, but most communities I know have some type of mental health services.

The Bloods and Crips, would you suggest sending them to Sinai Cedars for mental health problems? Or should the Bloods and Crips, American citizens with right, have their guns taken away?

What is your solution to gang violence?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

You can buy a gun by picking up the phone?

Interesting.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Interesting.

Yes, you can. It goes like this...

Bubba: Hey man, Billy Bob said give you a ring.

Lamont : What's up man? You the brother with the gun?

Julio: Chico said you the guy to call. What you got to sell me?

Yes, it is that easy and happens all the time.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

A person can go buy a gun at Walmart, and murder someone within the same hour.

Getting an appointment with MHC's can take months they are so booked. Anybody knows that.

I made a simple, yet true statement, which cannot be refuted on any account.

You pour out all these little snippets liken to "don't run with scissors", and expect to make a point. Sorry. We've all heard those tired little quips, and they don't carry much weight anymore because they don't work out so well, or have much impact on those who really need to abide by them. Tried and failed little clichés they are.

Just sayin'
edit on 4/25/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Ahhhh. Great example. Reeks of an illegal gun sale.

But no, I meant can you actually purchase a gun over the phone? As in money changes hands and the gun is somehow transported through the phone? Not just arrange to buy a gun, carry out the transaction via the phone.
edit on 25-4-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Getting an appointment with MHC's can take months they are so booked. Anybody knows that.

I made a simple, yet true statement, which cannot be refuted on any account.

You pour out all these little snippets liken to "don't run with scissors", and expect to make a point. Sorry. We've all heard those tired little quips, and they don't carry much weight anymore because they don't work out so well, or have much impact on those who really need to abide by them. Tried and failed little clichés they are.

Just sayin'

And your problem is Wal-Mart?

And yes, mental health services are available everywhere. And guess what, if you have no money, the government gives those agencies grants to help people.

Don't tell me it is not available.

Middle of the road here, not taking either side.

And news flash, there are way more people who do not have mental problems who are killing people. They kill with knives, with swords, with cars, with explosives, with forks, with drowning them in bathtubs, with strangling, with beatings...you name it, if someone wants to kill they will find a way.

BTW, what was the last gratuitous violent movie you watched? If you are opposed to gun violence then you probably shouldn't be watching violence.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Ahhhh. Great example. Reeks of an illegal gun sale.

But no, I meant can you actually purchase a gun over the phone? As in money changes hands and the gun is somehow transported through the phone? Not just arrange to buy a gun, carry out the transaction via the phone.

I suppose that is how some people imagine it to be.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I took the middle of the road approach.

What is being done in this society about the idea of violence? It is embraced everywhere.

Violence is found in nature. Humans happen to be particularly good at it. Violence isn't just embraced, it is a basic human tendency given enough reason. Sometimes that reason is minimal and the result is appalling to those of us with a higher threshold by which we would use violence. You're not going to change that.

Yes, people are going to get guns, they will find a way.

In places like China, where guns are difficult to come by, crazy people use knives to a great degree of efficiency.

Maybe both sides could sit down and discuss what can be done, without infringing upon rights?

Gun control groups are not anti-gun. Many have expressed the desire to see armed government soldiers forcibly take guns from lawful gun owners. Many even wish violence upon gun owners. Gun control isn't about guns. It's about control of the people. That stance is evident in everything they advocate for.

It isn't the lack of knowledge of guns for some people, it's knowing full well what to do with guns.

Guns are nothing but machines.

It is the understanding of nature that divides those of us who refuse to compromise on our rights from those who wish to take them away.

If you cut the horns off of a gazelle you make it easier for the predators that prey upon it. Gun control advocates would have us believe that cutting the horns off the gazelle would reduce the amount of predators. The logic is astoundingly idiotic.

If you take away from the good people the means to fight against those who have free access to guns(like criminals who could give a crap less about an ATF form 4473), you create more victims. I refuse to create more victims. I will always work to END the exaltation of victimhood by misguided people who believe that human nature is anymore evolved than that of a wolf hunting sheep.

edit on pSat, 25 Apr 2015 21:30:02 -0500201525America/Chicago2015-04-25T21:30:02-05:0030vx4 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Oh Holy Hell. I didn't realize I was speaking to someone in some type of rage.

Look, I'm not totally about gun control. There have been times I've even thought about buying one myself. I opted for pepper spray and a taser instead, but that's just me.

I made my point. Argue it all you like, Walmart, whatever blows your skirt up, you'll be arguing it alone. Plus I think you are simply arguing this because you are in some kind of.....state.....or something. Might want to calm down a bit.

Anybody who lives in the U.S. knows it's much easier to buy a gun than to receive treatment for mental illness. No sense in my commenting further, it's common knowledge, or should be. Or maybe do your own experiment.
And no, I'm not offering a solution about the gang problems. Gawd.

Sorry, I get bored sometimes, and this is not how I want to spend my evening. Think I'll go elsewhere.
See ya around.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
I ask this..why are some gun owners against free speech?

You love to bring up the constitution..but only when it is for you.

This person may be asking for limits to gun rights..but it is allowed under the first amendment. This does not mean it is law.

You gun owners only like free speech when a person advocates more guns but want to fight it when it against less guns..idiots.

Well, nobody is saying this "benefit concert" should be outlawed! They just dont agree with it and want donors to know where their money is going and using their free speech to let people know. Just because they dont agree with its goals doesn't mean they are saying, or think that, anyone's free speech should be taken away! Get a grip!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Just sayin'

A person could do the same with ANY item they purchase at wal-mart, including a baseball bat, a lamp, or even a ... wait or it .... PEN!!! Yes one could actually quite easily murder another human being with a pen an hour after they purchased it at wal-mart. Could even strangle a person with shoe laces.

Help for a mental illness is only a phone call away. A gun purchase requires filling out a form and a NICS check when purchasing at a place of business that carries an FFL. Even most flea market vendors do this check, and any licensed dealer at a gun show as well. Private citizens are not required at the Federal level to record a transaction, but many states do. Even in the states that do not, go look at the classifieds online, nearly every private listing requires a DL and bill of sale. because responsible gun owners understand what accountability is and are not out to just fill the streets with as many guns as possible.
edit on 4/25/2015 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Anybody who lives in the U.S. knows it's much easier to buy a gun than to receive treatment for mental illness. No sense in my commenting further, it's common knowledge, or should be. Or maybe do your own experiment.
And no, I'm not offering a solution about the gang problems. Gawd.

Why dont you count how many people you know, like in your social/family circle that take SSRI's and anti-depressants(a big part of the problem actually), and then count how many in that same group that you know own firearms. Because I live in the CCW capital of the US(FL), and I personally know more people on those class of meds than I do that own firearms.

Perhaps that is not what you think of when you think "getting help for mental illness" , but the establishment seems to believe its the perfect solutions to the mental illnesses. For most people the ratio will be give or take the same. So IMO, based on those facts, I believe your statement to be incorrect.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I think that is exactly what I said.
Please refer to my earlier post.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes

Just sayin'

A person could do the same with ANY item they purchase at wal-mart, including a baseball bat, a lamp, or even a ... wait or it .... PEN!!! Yes one could actually quite easily murder another human being with a pen an hour after they purchased it at wal-mart. Could even strangle a person with shoe laces.

Help for a mental illness is only a phone call away. A gun purchase requires filling out a form and a NICS check when purchasing at a place of business that carries an FFL. Even most flea market vendors do this check, and any licensed dealer at a gun show as well. Private citizens are not required at the Federal level to record a transaction, but many states do. Even in the states that do not, go look at the classifieds online, nearly every private listing requires a DL and bill of sale. because responsible gun owners understand what accountability is and are not out to just fill the streets with as many guns as possible.

That is right.

But it is the irresponsible gun owners who are causing the problems. That's what I wanted to be fixed. The problem is, you can't fix stupid.

As much as I disagree with gang members who have guns, some of them did obtain them legally, so they have the right to have them.

More gun violence is perpetrated by those with illegal weapons. How do we stop that? I don't know.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
I am not on either side. You have your gun, but don't sell your gun to pawn shops, because those can be stolen. Don't sell your guns at gun swaps, you don't really know who is buying them. Don't sell your guns from your trunk, anyone can get them. If you have a gun, don't sell it. If you don't need it, take it to the police to destroy it.

Seriously? Pawn shops have to abide by the same rules as any other gun store as it regards storage and sales process for firearms.

What is a "gun swap?" In all my years in the industry, I've never head of a "gun swap."

People can sell their privately owned firearms to anyone they choose and it is their responsibility to make sure that the person is legit. That's the law. I'm sure as hell not going to take my $500 and up possessions to the police to be destroyed. What the hell kind of logic is that?

The problem is that gun owners are losing their guns somehow. Be responsible with your guns. And for goodness sake, don't sell it on craigslist.

That is what I think. Don't sell it on Ebay. Don't sell it on Amazon. You just do not know if someone has stolen identity.

Many gun owners have had their guns stolen out of their home. Even with a gun safe, it is not 100% preventable. Your logic is flawed. Guns are not perishable... there are enough guns floating around the illegal market to last many lifetimes.

Guns can not be sold on eBay, Amazon, or Craigslist because those sites have a policy against it. Please, try to know just a tiny bit about the subject before you go off on a rant.
edit on 4/25/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/25/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Sorry, I get bored sometimes, and this is not how I want to spend my evening. Think I'll go elsewhere.
See ya around.

Rephrased: "I just came in here to post my opinion and now that it has been challenged, I'm unable to back it up so I'm going to abandon the thread and pretend it wasn't worth my time."

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

Interesting.

Yes, you can. It goes like this...

Bubba: Hey man, Billy Bob said give you a ring.

Lamont : What's up man? You the brother with the gun?

Julio: Chico said you the guy to call. What you got to sell me?

Yes, it is that easy and happens all the time.

Hm... racist much?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join