It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

650k for Man Brutalized by Police after Horse Chase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Recap: A man fled from police on a horse and once caught by police they tazed and beat him for a few minutes. Fortunately for him, a news helicopter captured it all on film, with commentary. If you missed this, here is original ATS thread with sources and a great video. This was on April 9, 2015.

ATS Thread

I guess having a video filmed by a news crew helps because the man has just settled for $650,000.

California county on Tuesday approved paying a $650,000 settlement to avoid a lawsuit by a man whose beating by deputies after a horse chase was captured on video and led to a federal civil rights investigation. San Bernardino County supervisors approved the settlement with Francis Pusok, 30, in a closed meeting, said David Wert, a county spokesman.

Personally I find that a quick settlement is better for everyone involved, and this was definitely fast, and also that $650,000 is a fair compensation for his suffering, physical and emotional.

The only thing left is to deal with the officers who did this:

The department is investigating whether any criminal charges should be filed against Pusok or the deputies involved in his arrest and is conducting a separate internal probe into the deputies' actions, Miller said.

As there is a federal investigation going on about it now, hopefully the fast settlement doesn't dust these officers' actions under the rug.

Fox News Source

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

If my actions cost my employer $650,000 I would be told not to come in tomorrow or ever.
Somehow I see this cop/s getting a smack on the hand and that's about it.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

that was fast!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

The department is investigating whether any criminal charges should be filed against Pusok or the deputies involved in his arrest and is conducting a separate internal probe into the deputies' actions, Miller said.

I always find it ironic when they "investigate'' whether or not to file charges. Because I would be arrested for doing that to someone else. It's called assault.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It was a horrible thing those thug cops did, no doubt.

But seriously, who wouldn't be more than willing to take a petty beating like that for 650 grand. I could easily live off that for well over 10 years............. Lucky bastard.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

I always find it ironic when they "investigate'' whether or not to file charges. Because I would be arrested for doing that to someone else. It's called assault.

Great isnt it.....1 law for us and another for them.......Even with the admission of guilt they still have to consider and investigate to lay charges....lol...they just paid out $650k.....clearly charges should be laid.....

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: StoutBroux

they just paid out $650k.....clearly charges should be laid.....

Dude, I always try my hardest to go out of my way to never accuse someone of trolling, but I really don't know what else I can say about that comment........... "Just $650k'.

That's over 830 grand to us and all he had to do was take a beating from the coppers! This bloke tripped over a pile of dog s#, then landed in a pot of gold. Good for him!

Don't even want to think what I'd do for that kind of money atm, lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well the problem is that 650k just came out of the tax payers money. You guys (by this I mean locally) pay for this. So why do they even care...they don't. This guy won't be fired and the tax payer foots the bill. The only way that cop gets charged with anything is if the media carries it for more than a week and even then it may be better press to go the other way...you know the uproar that would cause. Does it seem silly that these are the thoughts that come to mind...then scary to know how accurate they probably are.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

"Just $650k'.

This is where comprehension is so important.....please look at the context of my statement......

So for clarification....the term "just $650k" was in context with they have just paid as in they have paid recently,not just $650k as in only as in a small amount.....

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

"Just $650k'.

This is where comprehension is so important.....please look at the context of my statement......

So for clarification....the term "just $650k" was in context with they have just paid as in they have paid recently,not just $650k as in only as in a small amount.....

Your statement was perfectly clear the first time. 'Just' as in he was just paid (and it happened fast). Not 'just' as in 'only.'
The comprehension problem is not with your phrasing.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Yep, the tax payers will probably pay for this and the police will probably just walk away with a slap on the wrist. It's a miscarriage of justice, I won't argue there.

But, you gotta give credit where credit is due!

This boy worked the system good and got paid out 'well' for his troubles. Plenty of people have done far less, coped a beat down from the coppers and came away with noting more than some jail time.
edit on 22-4-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Weren't there about ten of them involved? I'd say it would be fair to fine each one $65k to pay the settlement. Taking serious money from their pockets will make them think twice before they go all RoidRambo on citizens. And since I would consider what I saw as felony assault, they would lose their job, their right to a firearm and the right to vote.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

$650,000 is a fair compensation for his suffering, physical and emotional.

This guy just got flogged by a group of people that in no way followed procedure, now fair enough he took a horse for a joy ride and his day ended with him being gang bashed buy the local constabulary to the point where one of them had to take a breath and sit his fat ass down before he went into cardiac arrest.
One has to wonder at the mental aptitude of the victim and the people represting him considering an outcome with an easy three more zero's on the end of this figure was easily attainable indeed.
When it is broken down it rounds out to around $55000 for each LEO, most people in thread say they would take the beatdown for the 650K that maybe true, i'd also wager all of these officers would pay to keep thier job, not do 7 years for affray and assault.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

that's the difference between private companies and public work - it's all funded by tax dollars so "who cares".

The lack of accountability is CRIMINAL and who is policing the police anyway?

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

The employer is us..your tax $$ so to speak, they don't care.
I think I would not be surprised if nothing happened to these f'n goof troopers now that they have settled..I hope not because those blankety blanks all deserve to be at least charged and fired.
edit on 22-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Do we know he hasn't been permanently damaged?..I suppose not or he just took the quick money. I would think the running football kicks to his balls and head would carry further complications.
I would put the money to satisfying use.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

If my actions cost my employer $650,000 I would be told not to come in tomorrow or ever.

Of course, because it's not their money they're having to give to their victims.

On the OP, they got off damn easy. If that had gone to trial he could have walked away with millions. They should be thanking him for not wanting a bigger pay day for the abuse he took.

I would have taken it all the way, and skinned them for millions, while demanding every one of them be removed from the force.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
There is clearly enough evidence recorded to send those cops to jail.
But whether they will be disciplined, or not, we'll have to wait and see.
Let's not hold our breath............

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Let's tally this up shall we?:

Taxpayers fork out $650,000
Cops keep their jobs after committing assault
Criminal not only goes free but gets to live large on the taxpayer.

Not hard to figure out the real winners and losers in this case.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join