It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deli Shut Down After Owner Doesn't Understand Racism:

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

“Celebrate your white heritage in March”:
New Jersey deli owner closes shop after racist snafu

A New Jersey deli owner who infuriated his community when he posted a sign asking patrons to “celebrate your white heritage in March” has closed up shop, Rick Epstein of The Hunterdon County Democrat reports.
His GoFundMe campaign stalled at $215 -- only $842,227 short of the homophobes at Memories Pizza.

James “Jimbo” Boggess played the sign on window on March 3, and the complaints began to file in immediately. His neighbor, Bhakti Curtis, told Hunterdon County Democrat that the sign “mocked Black History month,” especially because the “t” in “white” was originally drawn with a cross in a style reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan.

Boggess said that those complaining about the sign were the real racists, because “if there’s any racial discrimination going on, it’s by people who are objecting to his sign “because I’m white.”

“I just want to be included. Why is this such a big deal? I don’t get it,” he added. “I love everybody and everybody should celebrate what they are. I shouldn’t have to feel bad about being white.”

Curtis and Boggess eventually resolved their differences after the deli owner agreed to take down the sign. The pair took a photograph together in front of the store in which they were shaking hands and smiling, but not even the limited goodwill that generated was enough to save Boggess’ deli.
www.salon.com...

Look free speech is free speech , but unless you are media or from so-called polite society pls don't use your business to make silly political stance especially if you are a small mom & pop operation who would be unable to whether the ish storm when it hits, yes you are free and that includes free to be dumb..it's only a suggestion.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Don't they have something like Afro-American heritage week?

I suppose they will be cancelling Finn Fest now.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
He was not being racist unless he would only serve whites. Stupid, yes.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I like how Salon automatically brands the folks in Indiana homophobes for doing nothing at all.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I love how people do something so incredibly stupid and then say they were "forced" out of business! LOL! Yes, he's free to put up the sign. Yes, people are free to boycott his business.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

People just need to consider that even though the people of which a lot of our holidays are white, we don't celebrate their whiteness, we celebrate their achievements.

I understand whites are born with "Privilege" but in this country all colors are enslaved to the petro dollar.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Don't they have something like Afro-American heritage week?

I suppose they will be cancelling Finn Fest now.

Yes they do and it's called Black history month, but there is a funny story behind that concept, African Americans history never showed-up in your history curriculum and I am talking basic stuff, of which most people including African Americans themselves never knew, off course they were aware of slave ancestry but that's it, in history classes one could be forgiven for believing that they played no meaningful role in the development of the American experience.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

If they can define what "White" means without flying into a vein popping rage, I'll have a sammich.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
He is just attempting a money grab. His business was already doing terribly, by his own admission, so he decided to pull this stunt hoping that people will rally behind him and send him money. He started his own GoFundMe page claiming he's being persecuted and his business has nosedived since posting the sign. But he admits in a update on the GoFundMe page that "Yes, you guys are right, the store wasn't doing good before the sign was posted." What a slimeball.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

People just need to consider that even though the people of which a lot of our holidays are white, we don't celebrate their whiteness, we celebrate their achievements.

I understand whites are born with "Privilege" but in this country all colors are enslaved to the petro dollar.

And that's what Black History month is celebrating, and it is one of the reason I am for the term African American as opposed to "Black", which means nothing but a color and causes confusion or even resentment. Iam sure if Jim had a sign that said lets celebrate European American heritage month no one would bat an eye, much less ethnic holidays like ST.Patrick's day of which I myself get greened up for drinking green beer and eating tongue.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Perhaps his deli would have thrived in spite of the sign, if he had GOOD FOOD and fair prices. That's ultimately the determining factor in any food business; not if the owner is a racist. Make a good sandwich for under $4 and I'd buy it from a Klan member.

Fools are always looking for the scapegoat and can't seem to take personal responsibility for much of anything; especially their own stupidity.

edit on 21-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FalafelBallz
He is just attempting a money grab. His business was already doing terribly, by his own admission, so he decided to pull this stunt hoping that people will rally behind him and send him money. He started his own GoFundMe page claiming he's being persecuted and his business has nosedived since posting the sign. But he admits in a update on the GoFundMe page that "Yes, you guys are right, the store wasn't doing good before the sign was posted." What a slimeball.

I think Slimeball was actually one the items on his menu.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The best part of the video begins at about 2:25, when the smarmy little douchebag begins his sociology lesson. "I grew up with those blue-collar people. They're good people, they just don't know any better."

He then educates the shows listeners (probably the same people who watch "Conan", thinking it's politically edgy)
on how racism works.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FalafelBallz

Sigh! really?? now everyone is about to work GoFundme after the success of the Indiana Pizza no gayz ..so disappointing working the bigot response dollar angle, but still stupid enough to admit it now everytime some bigoted shop keeper runs his/her business into the ground by doing silly the bigot money maybe become tight fisted and stingy...boo

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Sounds like he caught on the the gofundme pizza scam..or he is pretty dumb.
edit on 21-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I like how Salon automatically brands the folks in Indiana homophobes for doing nothing at all.

Duh.....its Salon...its what they do.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Blacks and Hispanics are allowed to celebrate their heritage. Why aren't whites allowed the same freedom?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Blacks and Hispanics are allowed to celebrate their heritage. Why aren't whites allowed the same freedom?

They are allowed! No one stopped this man.
"White" isn't a heritage, by the way.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes they do, and so latinos and any other group, but whites.

The irony.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Restricted

They are allowed! No one stopped this man.
"White" isn't a heritage, by the way.

Okay, Europeans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join