It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing my Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
When I came to ATS, I was looking for answers to what is really going on in the world. But, in the process, I have had my Religious Belief Systems challenged. For the past few years, I have experienced a Deprogramming of False Belief Systems. This has been a painful experience. Believe me when I tell you, its pretty depressing to find out what you have lived and made life decisions on for 50 years is nothing but BS (Belief Systems). I found out that these belief systems were installed only to control me. They had nothing to do with the truth.

Im still deprogramming, It might take another 50 to undo the brainwashing. So, Ive spent a vast amount of time wallowing in emotions that just suck, Fear of Gods reprisal if I question what I was taught, guilt and shame for thinking I could think with my own brain about it, ANGER for wasting sooooooo much time etc. I vacillated between putting my fingers in my ears and la la la dont want to hear it, and barely hanging onto the Hem of Jesus garment. I fervently clung with all the faith I could muster, regardless of the truth that was hitting me between the eyes like a hot iron.

Im sure Im not the only one on ATS that has either gone through this, or is currently going through this. My personal experience in deprogramming was from false Christian Beliefs, but I am sure there are those of all faiths who are questioning the validity of what their church teaches vs THE TRUTH.

So, below I have listed some links to stuff that has helped me in this process. And I hope others will give their deprogramming testimony and share what has spoken truth to their heart.

Warning to Christians who are content in your BS (Belief Systems). You might want to keep your fingers in your ears and stay in a state of La la la on this one.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi Gnostic Texts, Ancient Roman Historic writers like Josephus. Most of these can be found at www.sacred-texts.com...

I found the teachings of Professor Robert Eisenman, on the Dead Sea Scrolls, James the brother of Jesus and the Nag Hammadi's to be one of the most important resources. He teaches at California State University Long Beach, his classroom lectures are on-line. www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com...

I found out who, and what the "Apostle" (apostate) Paul was. www.youtube.com... This will link to other interesting views about Paul.

The connections between Jesus and Mithras and a bunch of other ancient Gods. There are numerous documentaries available, www.youtube.com...

The Pagan Origins of our celebrations, Christmas and Easter. There are so many documentaries on this I couldnt pick just one, so I recommend a google search.

I still believe in a Higher Power, and I am only beginning to grasp that IT can not fit into a Religious Box. But, the truth shall set you free!!!!!

What has helped you get through this process?

edit on 20-4-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I feel for you. It happens to all of us in some ways. It's hard to ignore the brainwashing you spent your whole life listening to and now know for what it is. Overcoming the fear of hell was, personally, the hardest thing for me to come to terms with. I just had to keep reassuring myself of the evidence that hell only exists in the imaginations of the sick people who like condemning people to it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its crazy when you realize how our society, and family structure has been influenced by religion. I do understand that some rules and regulations were desperately needed in the Dark Ages, and the bible was used to bring a moral ruler into the world. But, religion has tipped the scales, and I would so like to see future generations, released from the clutches of False Doctrine.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I still believe in a Higher Power

That's good news. I went through one heck of a time as well. Here's the thing, you are GOD expressing ITSELF as misscat1. There will never be any judgement for you for you are the judge and jury. BTW, your life was certainly well spent. Every one of us are here to love, learn, experience and then send all back to our CREATOR. You're doing a great job !!

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have a Relationship.

I dumped Religion years ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Congratualtions on being BORN AGAIN!

'Aint it fun to be part of the real world?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its crazy when you realize how our society, and family structure has been influenced by religion. I do understand that some rules and regulations were desperately needed in the Dark Ages, and the bible was used to bring a moral ruler into the world. But, religion has tipped the scales, and I would so like to see future generations, released from the clutches of False Doctrine.

Careful, when you start talking about things like that Christians get offended. Apparently it is persecution against them when you work to remove institutionalized Christianity.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

im glad you posted this it started happening to me a few years ago and im still questioning it all now i feel robbed of whole being sorry your going through this it will get better i see its happening to a lot of people too so at least were not alone keep safe

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There is one scripture, I cling to: "This too shall pass".

Thank you for the encouragement!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Many here feel the same towards religion.
Still believe in a God but shes my god and no one is sharing
By that I mean I don't need to preach about my personal relationship with her and such.
Religion sucks....
It's another mans version of the truth when you should be finding it yourself.
Lazy really, or just plain brainwashed, poor kids eh? brainwashed from birth and they don't even know it.
Good for you though escaping those shackles.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

i feel robbed of whole being
a reply to: zedy63

Hang in there and try not to understand, just flow with it. You'll figure it out. LOVE

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I've said this many times on ATS, but maybe it bears repeating again. I spent near 30 years of my life as a devout Christian. I preached, taught, studied like a madman, and witnessed on the streets to save the lost souls of the world. It was a long road back to sanity once my studies, among other things, finally convinced me I was living a lie.

Stay with it. It takes time and persistence. Some even go through physical sickness, and bouts of depression, but you'll come through it. Repression(an effect of oppression) is the strongest weapon ever used against humans by those who seek to control you. You won't shake it off over night. Also, you will have plenty of those who will be horrified. They will come at you with everything they have. Expect it.

Glad to see you've found your own way.

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I was defending my religious faith one time, and a good friend said "Arent you glad you were born into the right religion? I feel really sorry for those who were born into the wrong religion".

That simple statement started the whole examination process.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
yeah , I like to believe Jesus was just a normal man who was a Prophet like ,Adam ,Abraham , mosses ,etc .

I recall going though this stage , but then I had a profound realization after studying religion for some time .

the First was a spiritual understanding ,that takes time and effort to understand but its real and its their .

And once connected to this ,you understand the essence of god ,essence being Love at the purest form.

Religion is supposed to be a tool to gain this connection . just as Math is used to study the heavens ,Religion is used to study "god"

every creation has a creator , something created all of us , something created LIFE !.

I have found that following a religious path has humbled me and filled me with positive energy ,has helped me understand love and compassion .

prior to all of this i felt empty ,lost, negative,hopeless.

I think Religion is supposed to keep you in this "feel good mode" When practiced correctly, what's wrong with that ! right ?

anyway I can go on and on ,but you have to really dig deep in religious Text to find the answers ,separate fact from fiction ,every religion has a piece of truth .

I hope you find the answers .

Kap

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Welcome to the club! There are many of us out there...

For me it started when I was young, when I realized there were too many contradictions in the holly book I had to follow.. then, when getting older, I realized of the horrors spoken as a God's words on that book and I decided my life was not going to be dictated by a God that was vindictive, sadistic and a bigot.

I am now a happy agnostic, in awe at our amazing universe... I am not religious anymore as organized religions are as bad as the government, but I am very spiritual.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Are you from/in the USA?.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

California Girl, always.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I imagine Cali is a better place to be not religious then many places in the US or am I mistaken?.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join