It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs really do love us: Study finds first evidence of inter-species hormone exchange

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Dogs were found to make use of Oxytocin, the same hormone that humans release in bonding with each other, when bonding with their owners in a Japanese study.

The mechanism is known to be a loop in humans. For instance, a mother’s gaze into a child’s eyes prompts the look of happiness in return. Both release oxytocin and reinforce it, feeding off of the feeling.

Dogs are already renowned for their ability for companionship and understanding us in a way that no other animal can. But if the implications of the new findings are correct, they are huge, and will go toward explaining the age-old question of how dogs became our “best friends” thousands of years ago.

You can read the source story for an in-depth look at how the study was conducted.

Soure - RT

What this means is that dogs really do love their owners and aren't just using them. What about cats? There have been no studies to see if cats produce Oxycotin when gazing into their owner's eyes. However, there have been studies suggesting that a lot of cat behavior is based on manipulating their owners.

Have you ever thought that a cat's cry sounds a lot like a baby's? That is because scientists think cats evolved their cries to sound like human offspring in order to solicit responses in their owners.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I'm of the firm belief that only dogs can show unconditional love. A dog will love its master no matter what you do it, what you look like, what you do, who you associate with, etc. Dogs give SO much and ask for next to nothing in return. Great animals they are. My dog Sparky isn't my pet. He's my friend.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There is evidence that dogs and humans evolved together, and that human society even modeled itself from dog society a long time ago... things I just recall reading. But this seems to indicate that our species are natural partners.
edit on 17amFri, 17 Apr 2015 09:37:48 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
They spent a lot of money to find out what most of us already knew.
Silly scientists.

I was in the hospital years ago for 8 days. My husband stayed with me with the exception of coming home to shower and make sure our dog had food. When I returned home my dog had lost weight and became weak because sha had refused to eat more than necessary to live while I was gone. Not 10 minutes after I walked through the door, she was in the kitchen eating herself silly. We had to take her food away to keep her from eating too much at one time.

They do love us. They do grieve when we aren't there IMO. You always hear stories of dogs that died after their owners did. They are loyal beyond words.

We don't need no stinkin' scientists...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

My old dog Chip had something wrong with him and was dying. The day before he passed away, I went to a friend's house to party and ended up spending the night (didn't want to drink and drive). I came home about midday the next day and Chip was still alive laying on a blanket. Within 30 minutes of arriving home he passed away. I clearly knew that he had waited for me to come home before passing away. Even telling this story makes my eyes tear up...

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

We don't need no stinkin' scientists...

Agreed!

Its funny how this thread came up as I was considering posting about my recent experience. I recently moved to another town and therefore havent visited friends as often as I used too. A few day ago I found time to go visiting, knocked on a friends door, the door opened, and I was knocked to the ground by a VERY excited dog!
It had only been about six weeks since I'd last seen him, but he had clearly missed me.

Being knocked off my feet was one of the best greetings I've ever had

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
They spent a lot of money to find out what most of us already knew.
Silly scientists.

I was in the hospital years ago for 8 days. My husband stayed with me with the exception of coming home to shower and make sure our dog had food. When I returned home my dog had lost weight and became weak because sha had refused to eat more than necessary to live while I was gone. Not 10 minutes after I walked through the door, she was in the kitchen eating herself silly. We had to take her food away to keep her from eating too much at one time.

My brother had been lodging at a house that had a dog. When he went to work elsewhere the dog became very ill, he just kept moping about and refused to eat, then one day he started vomiting blood so he was taken to the vets, they said he was missing my brother! Brother quickly returned and the dog instantly recovered. About ten years later the dog passed and brother was missing the dog.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ahhhhwww.. thats so sweet to talk that way to your friend Sparky. Nice! you love dogs. I Have plenty of dogs too. Theyre the best animals in the planet.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

My shoes must be full of Oxytocin, always find them on my dog's bed.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

lol

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IAmPhoenix7

Just like humans they have their own personalities which can vary widely from dog to dog, even within the same breeds.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

No, I remember reading that the toe end of our socks have the same smell/hormone as a female dogs private parts!

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Blimey - why we would we evolve to smell like that?

Only reason I can think of is because it's such fun to have a dog lick one's toes

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There is too much evidence to deny that dogs and humans have evolved together for at least 16,000 years. The closeness of the linkage in this interdependent and shared evolutionary relationship has even led to genetic links.

What? Yes, genetic links. Several studies have apparently shown that dog and humans developed similar genes...

Dog and human genome

I am not sure domestic cats are truly domesticated. I am not a cat owner, but cats are not dogs.

Rudyard Kipling was a master story-teller and managed to show the relationship between man and cats in his story "The Cat that walked by Himself". Oh, I know it's a children's story, but it resonates with me over the years and finds connection with all generations. It also mentions Dog...

His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting.

Kipling's "The Cat that walked by Himself

There you go. Lose yourself for ten minutes in a clever story.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
No, I remember reading that the toe end of our socks have the same smell/hormone as a female dogs private parts!

Well, that explains a lot about my brother.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

My old dog Chip had something wrong with him and was dying. The day before he passed away, I went to a friend's house to party and ended up spending the night (didn't want to drink and drive). I came home about midday the next day and Chip was still alive laying on a blanket. Within 30 minutes of arriving home he passed away. I clearly knew that he had waited for me to come home before passing away. Even telling this story makes my eyes tear up...

My dog Molly did the same, she waited all day for me to get home from work,
I saw her stumble when she saw i was home. I picked her up and carried her in
and she died in my lap about 15 min later. I will always believe she held on to see me
one more time.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It's pretty clear that dogs and humans share a symbiotic relationship on more than just an emotional level.

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: nfflhome

I'd believe the same thing myself. Dogs are amazing creatures and they aren't dumb either. I've heard of humans holding on to life for a loved one, so I wouldn't put it past dogs to do the same. That is why I firmly believe Chip held on for me and I believe that Molly held on for you. They want you to be able to say goodbye.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
What this means is that dogs really do love their owners and aren't just using them. What about cats?

Cats don't differentiate between species. Dogs do.

A cat will groom you, lick you, knead you, and rub up against you just like it will when it meets another cat. Dogs are very aware that humans aren't dogs. They treat each other differently. Cats treat everyone the same mostly. They do remember people though, they just don't care about your species.
edit on 17-4-2015 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

originally posted by: darkbake
What this means is that dogs really do love their owners and aren't just using them. What about cats?

Cats don't differentiate between species. Dogs do.

A cat will groom you, lick you, knead you, and rub up against you just like it will when it meets another cat. Dogs are very aware that humans aren't dogs. They treat each other differently. Cats treat everyone the same mostly. They do remember people though, they just don't care about your species.

Not all cats are like that, but I agree with what you said. My old cat, who lives with my ex understands english the same as a dog, and we even trained him. He's one of the most loving animals I have ever met. It's funny. He thinks other cats are stupid. He doesn't meow.. unless he is talking. He sort of sounds more like a bird. That cat Loves me to death.

Anyway back to Dogs. My Dog Shiloh did the same thing when he died as others have mentioned.. He was the family dog, but you know we all went separate ways and were not usually in town. This must have been around thanksgiving or christmas. I got to my mom's place first, and it was clear Shiloh wasn't doing good. and then my brother got there.. And my other brother.. We moved him into the living room, and then about 5 minutes after my sister got home and we were all around him he left. He was a collie. Glad his whole herd was able to make it.

My cat was his best friend. She got depressed, and was never the same again.

That's a surprisingly hard story to tell. Guess Im still emotional about it after all these years.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join