It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Disconnects My Home Wifi (PC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For about the last three weeks every time I go to mail.yahoo.com, my wifi adapter kicks off of the network and displays the yellow asterisk icon in the task bar. Usually it happens immediately, before the login page is even completely loaded. Sometimes it happens a bit later while I'm into reading my emails. I'm almost always monitoring a Ustream channel and doing other intensive internet browsing and my wifi adapter will stay connected just fine all day. As soon I go to Yahoo though everything stalls and moments later, the yellow asterisk.

Usually I use the task bar icon to disconnect from the wifi network and then reconnect and it is fine again until the next time I go to Yahoo.

Any suggestions on what might be causing these seemingly very unrelated things to interact?

Tower PC
Win 7
Firefox
Realtek RTL8190 PCI wifi card

Cheers!
Craftbuilder

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

certificate issues, maybe? https seems to cause some funky reactions in firefox, when you open a https link in a new firefox browser. had that happen last night when i tried to cold boot firefox by clicking a youtube link on desktop
edit on 12-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
no, maybe not that. this seems really familar to me, just trying to put my finger on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
maybe you have a re-direct virus that somehow initiates at yahoo, that your anti virus is dealing with by disconnecting you so you can't be re-directed. i dunno, i'm jus trying to hone in on this. i've just never heard of a re-direct happening just when you click on a particular address, and anything within that address. if that were the case, everyone using yahoo mail would be having the same problem. perhaps something in one of your emails or? i don't get it.

the chinese government has software that does that to anyone in their country that tries to access things like google or youtube.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: undo
I wasn't aware that there was any mechanism in place for a browser to control the wifi driver.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Just using Windows Defender.

Scratch that. Its MSE on this machine.

edit on 12-4-2015 by CraftBuilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

it would have to be in conjunction to a virus/anti-virus conflict, i would think

oh! you are on wifi. hrm, now that does sound familar. seems we had a similar issue but it was a couple years ago now, and i've forgotten the details. will get back to you once i asked my daughter if she recalls.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It's probably a DNS issue.

A website in itself can't prevent your modem/router from serving you internet, but a bad DNS server certainly can.

Here's the solution:

developers.google.com...

Ignore the section for Ipv6 entirely and just do the Ipv4 stuff.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Probably wifi card broken. I had disconnection problems width my old wifi and after i changed it works fine now.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Check your browser proxy settings. Though that should just make the page not display not boot you off your wi-fi.
edit on 4/12/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Try this: Use a wire to your router, assuming your router has a network port on it and then disable the wifi on your pc.

Try the steps you do to get the wifi to normally disconnect and see if everything works correctly, if it does then your wifi device on the PC or the wifi side of the router may be faulty, an update of the firmware or driver may be possible (search the net for your devices to see if updates are available).

Ive been involved with wifi and routers and what not for a looong time now and ive never heard of a specific website knocking out wifi. Very weird, you must be one of the 'lucky' few

Best of luck!

edit on b2828356 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yahoo is weird.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
whats yahoo? lol

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Thanks everybody for your replies! I'll let you know what fixes it when I have a bit of time to get back to troubleshooting.

top topics

join