It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Attack!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
For some reason I woke up today with this on my mind. No idea as to why. Strange huh?

So off I went in search for the original radio broadcast of Orson Welles and "The World of The Worlds". It worked so well that panic was the order of the day!

The War of the Worlds was an episode of the American radio drama anthology series Mercury Theatre on the Air. It was performed as a Halloween episode of the series on October 30, 1938 and aired over the Columbia Broadcasting System radio network. Directed and narrated by Orson Welles, the episode was an adaptation of H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds.

The first two thirds of the 60-minute broadcast were presented as a series of simulated "news bulletins", which suggested to many listeners that an actual alien invasion by Martians was currently in progress. Compounding the issue was the fact that the Mercury Theatre on the Air was a 'sustaining show' (it ran without commercial breaks), thus adding to the program's quality of realism.

Although there were sensationalist accounts in the press about a supposed panic in response to the broadcast, the precise extent of listener response has been debated. In the days following the adaptation, however, there was widespread outrage. The program's news-bulletin format was decried as cruelly deceptive by some newspapers and public figures, leading to an outcry against the perpetrators of the broadcast, but the episode secured Orson Welles' fame. en.wikipedia.org...

The newspapers were of course already in full sell mode:

The building was suddenly full of people and dark-blue uniforms. Hustled out of the studio, we were locked into a small back office on another floor. Here we sat incommunicado while network employees were busily collecting, destroying or locking up all scripts and records of the broadcast. Finally the Press was let loose upon us, ravening for horror. How many deaths had we heard of? (Implying they knew of thousands.) What did we know of the fatal stampede in a Jersey hall? (Implying it was one of many.) What traffic deaths? (The ditches must be choked with corpses.) The suicides? (Haven't you heard about the one on Riverside Drive?) It is all quite vague in my memory and quite terrible.

People were in fear for their lives!

Some listeners heard only a portion of the broadcast and, in the tension and anxiety prior to World War II, mistook it for a genuine news broadcast.[21] Newspapers reported that panic ensued, with people across the Northeastern United States and Canada fleeing their homes. Some people called CBS, newspapers, or the police in confusion.

Read the rest here: en.wikipedia.org...

Many of you have probably heard the broadcast, not live of course
but I believe there are also many that haven't had a chance. And there are most likely those that are unaware of the event.

It's a long broadcast but well worth the entertainment value for a Sunday morning or afternoon listening. Just hit play and go about your day while listening. Keep in mind that in those days, the radio was actually the authority on news so who could deny that we were actually being invaded? It was after all, on the radio!

Orson Welles - War Of The Worlds - Radio Broadcast 1938 - Complete Broadcast.

And of course, his apology the next day:

I'm listening to it now, the language, voices, writing etc still pull the listener in. Especially when you realize that it was all done inside a studio using nothing but a few mics, a script and cheap noise effects. And to imagine how gullible, perhaps even innocent we were just a short time ago is actually refreshing.

Enjoy!

Good Morning ATS!

Jude11

edit on 12-4-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That kind of public reaction is one of the reasons for outright disclosure being avoided. Albeit that was an invasion scenario, this would wreck some people's worldview and push them to the extreme.

What a perfect way to unite Earth under a NWO and one world religion due to an alien threat....*cough* project Bluebeam *cough*.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I firmly believe this entire radio broadcast was a setup, with predetermined outcomes, and a specific goal of using the resultant and anticipated panic as a pretext to never disclose what is known about ET life, however vague that knowledge at the time may have been.

In short, TPTB employed Wells in order to solicit panic...they wanted it to be that way.

Ever since, it has been held up and purported to be a rationale for not disclosing an ET visitation or knowledge of their existence...exactly as planned.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Aliens and UFO's are not a recent modern phenomenon, it has been around since , probably pre-biblical times. The world was far more advanced long long ago than it is now, we are playing catch up, but repeating the same cycles. It is like somebody already knows the plot/script.

Now it has become normal and pretty acceptable.

The fact this play was put on air, I think frankly was a test.

edit on 12-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I'm not sure why this one keeps coming up, but there is a lot of evidence to say that the reaction to the war of the worlds broadcast never happened. From memory it comes from a single source.

Anyone know anyone alive at the time who could confirm it? From my knowledge the panic is an urban legend.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueMessiah

That kind of public reaction happened nearly 80 years ago in a time when all people had to link themselves to the outside world was the radio and newspaper , I'd like to think that we've grown as people since then.

edit on 12-4-2015 by gortex because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Interesting take on this event. Makes me wonder what other situations have been doctored-up to measure citizen response...?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

That kind of public reaction happened nearly 80 years ago in a time when all people had to link themselves to the outside world was the radio and newspaper , I'd like to think that we've grown as people since than.

So just because the method of transmitting the story would be different nowadays, the reaction would be different? I wouldn't think so, especially if ET is projected in a negative malevolent manner like an invading species.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That kind of public reaction happened nearly 80 years ago in a time when all people had to link themselves to the outside world was the radio and newspaper , I'd like to think that we've grown as people since than.

I understand what you're saying but at the same time I can't help but mourn for lost innocence. Even child like wonder is disappearing in a World with access to everything at our fingertips.

That radio broadcast instilled fear, wonder, excitement in an entire nation. When was the last time that's happened? It's a rare thing today.

Godzilla attacking Tokyo was so real in the cinemas at one time. Now we look for production faults instead of just enjoying.

I'm getting old...

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

I'm not sure why this one keeps coming up, but there is a lot of evidence to say that the reaction to the war of the worlds broadcast never happened. From memory it comes from a single source.

Anyone know anyone alive at the time who could confirm it? From my knowledge the panic is an urban legend.

I don't know. From the reporters and the apology, something happened.

If nothing happened, that's an even bigger hoax.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

I firmly believe this entire radio broadcast was a setup, with predetermined outcomes, and a specific goal of using the resultant and anticipated panic as a pretext to never disclose what is known about ET life, however vague that knowledge at the time may have been.

In short, TPTB employed Wells in order to solicit panic...they wanted it to be that way.

Ever since, it has been held up and purported to be a rationale for not disclosing an ET visitation or knowledge of their existence...exactly as planned.

I guess I'm just a simple man who enjoyed listening to it.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

So just because the method of transmitting the story would be different nowadays, the reaction would be different?

No , because we are more knowledgeable and accepting of the chances of other life in the Galaxy I believe in general the reaction would be different , we are different people to those in the 30s.
If they came down firing lasers then yeah there would be panic but I think if a ship was spotted in orbit or parked in the sky I think we would be more curious than afraid , perhaps even excited .... I know I would.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

HeHe

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: thishereguy

HeHe

I was waiting for that...

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
smh

those merry pranksters..
..what will they do next?

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke

Just searched around and found this article stating that the broadcast happened but at the time, there weren't too many people tuning in.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'm listening to it now and even tho you know it's a hoax,

It wasn't a hoax. It was a radio " Play " of The War Of The Worlds.

Some of the audience who where listening thought they where listening to real events.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

No , because we are more knowledgeable and accepting of the chances of other life in the Galaxy I believe in general the reaction would be different , we are different people to those in the 30s.
If they came down firing lasers then yeah there would be panic but I think if a ship was spotted in orbit or parked in the sky I think we would be more curious than afraid , perhaps even excited .... I know I would.

With us being more acceptable now, there would be no need to panic at only a UFO spotted in orbit or the sky. They are already being spotted on a daily basis according to the NUFORC. It all depends on how the message is conveyed. If something out of the ordinary happens like the War of Worlds broadcast then it's some crazy stuff going to happen.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

I'm listening to it now and even tho you know it's a hoax,

It wasn't a hoax. It was a radio " Play " of The War Of The Worlds.

Some of the audience who where listening thought they where listening to real events.

You're right and that was a poor description of it on my part. It was seen as a hoax but the players were just acting it out without intentions of it being so.

I edited the OP to reflect that.

Thanks for pointing it out..

Jude11

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueMessiahJust searched around and found this article stating that the broadcast happened but at the time, there weren't too many people tuning in.

Yes, the article hits on things I'd read. The broadcast certainly happened,but yes the supposed panic was manufactured is the understanding I've had.

Hope that countries haven't been making policies based on this urban legend, because if they have they will never tell us about the aliens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join