It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolutely Preposterous Prices for Everyday Objects! Snobbish Consumerism.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
sometimes I will browse etsy and wonder who in their right mind would pay the prices on some of that crap? Im all for craftiness..and love etsy..but some of that crap..wow.

this swing is ridiculous in price--I went to the store the other day and about 2lbs of hamburger is now almost 13 bucks..pretty soon we will all be eating ramen
who has this kind of money..for a 100 swing?

I have also seen 75,000 dollar wooden playgrounds for kids..must be for celebrities:

edit on 7-4-2015 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

see now I have to make this horrific relation...

Imagine if you will a hipster. He gets on his fixie and heads to the bodega to grab a pack of PBR. He rides home going uphill the whole way in one gear wearing skin tights. He gets off his bike, brushes his lumber-beard, removes his flannel cap and lays down his cold boys. He pops a PBR and sets it on his table that used to be pallets that carried hyper-organic, tenth level vegan, hang washed coffee beans. Suddenly he remembers. "Crap! I left my vintage 40's Kodak 35 sitting at Bean and Mean!" ((for those who don't know, Bean and Mean is a hipster joint I invented in my mind where you are only allowed to order coffee by using ancient Etruscan curse words....it's awesome believe me))

So our pal gets up fast to save his F-stop, spills the PBR, slips and cracks his head on re-purposed, sun-bleached, rocking chair.

He suddenly finds himself in a daze and finds a nice lady and for a moment thinks it is not mainstream to get married and have a child.

So here is our pal...has his kid on his lap...and our young soon-to-be kidster (patent pending word), drops a load and he thinks...I need to find Nylah so I can figure out where to get a 100% organic, fair trade, cotton blend diaper for $100.

Why?

So my boy can catch his "all natural material" in a diaper made of "all natural material"

Onto OP's point...yes the whole premise is stupid...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We hillbilly rednecks need things like this to provide an easy way of separating ourselves from liberal hipsters... a redneck would never pay for a rope swing, we'd just build it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's because hipsters want to have a story behind there items. So they can tell other hipsters when they mentions the swing. I say charge the idiots whatever you can. What this really tells you is the gap between the "rich" and the "not rich" is getting wider and wider.

V

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
You would think for that price the wood seat should be all one piece not glued together as we can see in the picture.
Not that it really matters though because no swing is worth $120.00 bucks.
Also who is actually going to hang the swing ? LOL That is if they even have a ladder and can figure out how to use it:-)

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 7-4-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Congrats, Kyo, you've won the internet, and a lifetime supply of bacon!

That was a hell of a funny read, but absolutely spot on

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Wow. Just wow. Sometimes I'll come across an item so stupidly priced that it truly TRULY shocks and repulses me.

Some of you may have heard about Urban Outfitters , it's an online retailer that specializes in mostly needless hipsterish items and clothing. I have an Aunt who collects their pint glasses, and we gift them to her for birthdays, etc. Today, while shopping online for a glass, I came across this Rope Swing

while the massive numbers of poor get poorer, there are almost countless numbers of new millionaires and billionaires with nothing left to spend their money on...

It's a One Hundred and Twenty Dollar ROPE SWING.

This priceless rope swing comes with 10 feet of pro Manila rope, and one 10 inch diameter piece of wood to sit your a** upon. What makes it worth $120.00 you ask? Well, and you'll be so impressed, your wallet will be screaming to let loose it's credit cards...the circle of wood, barely large enough to accommodate a butt...comes from the floor joist of a 19th century house. Well gooolly. Sign me up.

No.

Real world cost?

Pro Manila Rope : $.78/ft. Hardware Store.

10" Diameter Wood Circle : Likely Free as F***. Your Dad's Failed Woodworking Projects.

Grand Total : $10 maximum.

What is the world coming to that this rope swing is being hocked for such an exorbitant price? It's anyones choice if they'd like to buy this and wait for it to ship instead of making one in an afternoon...but my lord...what is wrong with this picture.

Rant complete.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I firmly believe each and every person who wants a rope swing should be making their own rope swing.

Yeah but if they do, then what would happen to my business. "Rope Swings R Me".

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Sorry Mr.McGuire, self sufficiency is the bane of small convenience based businesses.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSpongeThe sweaty neckerchiefs are extra.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join