It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School named after war hero, forces child to shave off military-style haircut

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Adam Stinnett looks up to his older stepbrother – a soldier in the U.S. Army. So when it came time to get a haircut, the seven-year-old told his mother he wanted a basic military-style cut. And that’s exactly what he got – high and tight – just like his stepbrother.

“We were told that we had to either cut his hair or he could not return to school,” she said.

Amy tried to explain to the principal that her son’s haircut was meant to emulate his older brother. But her explanation was dismissed and the principal demanded that the boy’s hair be “in compliance with our rules.”

Source

Ok....so I have never really gotten why, in this technologically advanced age, that a haircut matters that much to schools. This kid had a military style haircut in honor of his stepbrother, and by all means, I think a military haircut is one of the most conservative styles you could ever get. So what is the beef with this? This school's principal must have a major issue with military for some reason.

Even the school was named after a war hero.

For me, it isn't just about this kids haircut, it is about haircuts in general. I have never heard of anyone's grades suffering because of a haircut, or a haircut being sooooooo distracting that other kids around can't focus. Seems like more of an excuse that the school can't get good enough teachers to keep the kids interested.

What gives with the haircut thing?????

I do have to give this mother kudos for how she handled it though....making it viral to show the school how wrong they were...
edit on 3/27/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

If a military haircut is too wild for your tastes then DAMN, you need to get that board out of your ass.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

It does seem a bit petty, sure...

But the lady agreed to the rules when she sent her kid to school.

We've all got special reasons and excuses for stuff. Why is hers better?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

What rule though was that? That really is the question. A "high and tight", while stylized as a military cut, is just a short hair style.

So it will be interesting to see exactly what rules this style has breached. Which also leads us to the corrective action that will be imposed on the child...non stylized shaved head.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

That's exactly the problem.....this district has NO rules against it. From the source, here is a quote from the district on the haircut:

The Warren County School District responded to the newspaper story with a four-paragraph statement telling folks they could not comment on the incident or the investigation – on the advice of their attorneys.

“This is an internal school matter and the administration of the school district has been advised to address it as such from this point forward,” the statement read.

While the district does not have a policy about hair styles, individual schools are given authority to make such decisions.

“Neither Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary, nor any school in Warren County School District, prohibits military haircuts,” the statement declares.

Well, someone at the district office might want to clue in the principal -- because according to her email – military style haircuts are clearly against the rules.

So this principal took it upon herself to shame this kid by making him get a haircut.

Personally, I think she should be fired. Gotta love when people in power make up their own rules for a power trip.....

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

If a military haircut is too wild for your tastes then DAMN, you need to get that board out of your ass.

Seriously...it was really all on the principal having a power trip. The district has no rules against it. I just don't get why anyone currently living would care what your hair looks like so much that you would shame a kid into shaving his head bald.....

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

“in compliance with our rules.”

So when did schools design "rules" claiming one cannot have short hair...because that is all a "military styled cut" is.
Hell, I cut my own hair from the time I was about 13 years old or so and always used the clippers to "buzz cut" it....sometimes very short, sometimes with a bit of a guard....never had any problems.

....boggled mind is boggled.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Except for this bit of info

While the district does not have a policy about hair styles, individual schools are given authority to make such decisions.

“Neither Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary, nor any school in Warren County School District, prohibits military haircuts,” the statement declares.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

What rule though was that? That really is the question. A "high and tight", while stylized as a military cut, is just a short hair style.

So it will be interesting to see exactly what rules this style has breached. Which also leads us to the corrective action that will be imposed on the child...non stylized shaved head.

Yeah...when I was growing up, my school made us keep our hair above our eyebrows, ears and collar. Seems there is a fine line between too long and too short now, or style in general.

The principal needs to have her head shaved.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

But how does a military hair cut not fall under the rules? Basically it's like a buzz cut with a little extra left on top. How does that NOT fit in the school rules?

Somehow I think this is the principal's "creative" interpretation of the rule more than anything.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But how does a military hair cut not fall under the rules? Basically it's like a buzz cut with a little extra left on top. How does that NOT fit in the school rules?

Somehow I think this is the principal's "creative" interpretation of the rule more than anything.

That is absolutely what it was......principal on a power trip. And after the amount of attention this story has gotten I am pretty sure she has learned a valuable life lesson.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Fair enough, but the "news" nor the school has produced what rule such a hair cut breaks.

On the face, this seems like a personal issue between the principal and this child.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A clue to all this could lie in the Principal apparently being a she. It could be she is liberal/military hating/plug ugly feminist of the type that Soldiers, Marines etc generally only hit on when they are drunk/desperate. Or she may have been p'd and d,d by one or more in the past. Humour intentional in this post.
edit on 27-3-2015 by hotel1 because: hit on, not hit. I wouldn't want to be accused of advocating violence against ugly dumbasses

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
One could argue that shaving the kid bald was a military haircut as well. We called them "quarter pounders" and we all got them the first day at basic through our "turning blue" ceremony.

Kid broke the rules that didn't exist, he deserves to be punished for questioning authority!!
edit on 27-3-2015 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Just guessing here, but I bet the (moronic) rule is something like: hair can't be shaved bald on sides but long on top, as in a mohawk.

"Kid, you can't look like a soldier but the neo-nazi skinhead look id A-OK!"

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Sooo making him shave it all off to look like a neo-nazi skin head as opposed to a high and tight military cut?

Really? REALLY? REEEAAALLLLLYYY? I can't even this morning.....

Thanks Obama....

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: ownbestenemy

Yeah...when I was growing up, my school made us keep our hair above our eyebrows, ears and collar. Seems there is a fine line between too long and too short now, or style in general.

The principal needs to have her head shaved.

That's a fair suggestion Vasa, but she might already have a shaved head and is usually to be seen wearing dungarees and kicker boots.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Cut and dried then (arf arf).

The school agreed to the rules also, so she can send her kid there and they have no basis to turn him away.... unless they wish to prejudice the kid in some way and get sued.

The whole name of the school thing is just a red herring to me, just apply the policies and procedures and get on with lessons

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's not about the haircut. It's not about the clothes. It's not about anything but teaching our children how to march lockstep without question into adulthood. It's about grooming the children to never question authority. Never question the sanity of any decision. Just do it. Comply.

That's the only conclusion I can come to when I see some of the ludicrous things/rules coming out of the public re education camps in the last few years.

It's about having complete control and not having anyone question that control. Ever. It's all most of them will ever know so why not comply? Go along just to get along.
edit on 3/27/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

just apply the policies and procedures and get on with lessons

It's many of those policies and procedures that hinder the lessons. THAT'S part of the gd problem.

People have gone insane with this nit picky pc bs....

(Nothing else to say....everything else I could say will surely violate T&C here)

SICK...OF...CONTROL...FREAKS....

Be gone, you demons from hell!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join