It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School named after war hero, forces child to shave off military-style haircut

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

What parent doesn't say, "Let me see the rule in writing?"

That would have been my first step, and this all probably could have been avoided. Or go to the superintendent.

Anyhoo...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's the position of the district. They defer those decision to the individual school it seems. Their website isn't working right now.

If I were to guess, it was a poor decision made on an overly vague interpretation of a standard.

That was the purpose my last post, was to say....we don't know

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Sremmos80

I have yet to see an acceptable explanation for either how the cut does not fit within the school's dress policy or why she deemed it a distraction. Until then, we can only conclude she didn't like the cut or the reasons why he had it.

You can't conclude jack, to make the assumption that she is doing this purely out of dislike for the military is wrong IMO.

I would think a misinterpretation of a rule, or a wrongful use is more likely.

We don't know how the other kids reacted, what if really was a distraction cause no one else had a cut like that.
Just cause you don't find the reasoning acceptable doesn't mean it is not.

The foxnews article is severely slanted IMO, with massive tug on emotions with the constant appeal to emotion with the troop angle.

We have one side of the story since the school has not released anything but yet we are able to judge the principals intention?
I am guilty of doing so on plenty of issues, and when I do so I get plenty of flack for it. Seems like the stance of waiting for both sides of the story is out the window cause troops oh rah america.
edit on thFri, 27 Mar 2015 14:53:49 -0500America/Chicago320154980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thFri, 27 Mar 2015 14:54:37 -0500America/Chicago320153780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thFri, 27 Mar 2015 15:15:04 -0500America/Chicago320150480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I wonder what the general sentiment would be if this a service member was involved.

So many times on ATS we hear the, you agreed to the rules now follow them sentiment.

But in this case is seems since the military does it, it is above reproach.

Wonder if there would still be the calling for the principals job if this was a brother of an every day citizen.

The rule is vague and seems to be up to interpretation based on other sources and what the district as a whole said...

I just can't stand this talk that since the troops do it then no one can question it or disagree with it kind of talk.
How is that not obeying and submitting to authority?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Wow, obviously i'm only used to the UK system, where you are auto assigned the nearest state funded school via address, but have the option to apply to other schools in the area. Just not liking the school is good enough reason.

I successfully followed this procedure for my own senior school, and did the same for my son's primary school, no problems at all.

I'm guilty of assuming that you have the same freedom of choice in the US, and am pretty shocked to find that it aint true

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

It's pretty difficult to get out of your own district unless there are some pretty good reasons for it. If it were easy to do, there wouldn't be parents lined up around the block just to get their kids' names into the lotteries held for the few spaces available in opening inner city charter schools. It's sad really.

And when there are provisions in place to allow parents to legally opt out of their own districts, there are often major budget battles between the home district of the students and the districts those kids opt to go to. This has happened in the city where I live where the city district lost accreditation and the state ruled that students' parents could have them sent to neighboring districts. It all got tied down in court over budgetary concerns when the neighboring districts sued the home district for the funding.

No, we have no more choice in our school systems than you seem to have in what health districts you get assigned.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Wow, obviously i'm only used to the UK system, where you are auto assigned the nearest state funded school via address, but have the option to apply to other schools in the area. Just not liking the school is good enough reason.

I successfully followed this procedure for my own senior school, and did the same for my son's primary school, no problems at all.

I'm guilty of assuming that you have the same freedom of choice in the US, and am pretty shocked to find that it aint true

I my area we are zoned by address, but can apply to the "lotto" to get into a different school.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I'm not too sure on the health districts thing as I've been fortunate to have good health so far..iirc I think my ex was able to choose from two local hospitals though when our son was born, besides a home birth too. And I live in a provincial area that would probably be regarded as somewhat disadvantaged by outsiders. Couldn't have been happier with the way we were treated, and she was pushing for over a day.

It's way off topic ofc, but the NHS is a minor miracle

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I can't quote local authority or govt policy on this, just relate the experiecnes of myself and those I know well, but in the UK you are normally assigned to the "catchment area" of a school via address. Due to the way boundaries are drawn, it may not be the closest as the crow flies.

My assigned senior school was frankly a bit of a dive and had a bad rep. I applied to and was accepted into the school of my choice some seven or eight miles away when there were several much closer. I'm pretty sure my transport costs were funded too.

In my sons case, the school we applied to was much closer than the assigned school due to the silliness of the local border - they keep spare places to account for such applications.

There was no lotto involved, we all visited the school for a tour some small-talk and bish-bash-bosh, sorted.

Obviously I guess we pay more in taxes etc. My personal philosophical angle on that is i'm fine with it, others would disagree and fairplay to them.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I can't quote local authority or govt policy on this, just relate the experiecnes of myself and those I know well, but in the UK you are normally assigned to the "catchment area" of a school via address. Due to the way boundaries are drawn, it may not be the closest as the crow flies.

My assigned senior school was frankly a bit of a dive and had a bad rep. I applied to and was accepted into the school of my choice some seven or eight miles away when there were several much closer. I'm pretty sure my transport costs were funded too.

In my sons case, the school we applied to was much closer than the assigned school due to the silliness of the local border - they keep spare places to account for such applications.

There was no lotto involved, we all visited the school for a tour some small-talk and bish-bash-bosh, sorted.

Obviously I guess we pay more in taxes etc. My personal philosophical angle on that is i'm fine with it, others would disagree and fairplay to them.

It's actually the same here in the states.

Sometimes they have a lotto if there are too many kids applying for specific schools.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

It does seem a bit petty, sure...

But the lady agreed to the rules when she sent her kid to school.

We've all got special reasons and excuses for stuff. Why is hers better?

Did you not read the article? There are NO RULES PROHIBITING MILITARY HAIRCUTS.

Something tells me either someone who hates the military complained, or the kid's haircut was noticeable and had kids getting riled up and the Principal is lazy and doesn't want kids to be kids.

On a personal note: I hate high and tights. She could have at least given him a good high fade. :p

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I havnt read all the replys so it possibly mentioned, but this reminds me of the good Dr Gonzo shaving his head and referring to his "long-haired opponent" when running for sheriff??

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Short conservative hair: completely unacceptable, hair covering your eyes, halfway down your back, in dreads, Mohawk and cornrows: PERFECTLY acceptable
Did I wake up in Biziarro world again?

ETA: I've worn a buzz cut since the 10th grade, up til present, so that's almost 30 years

edit on 3/28/2015 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
this may be the first thread in all my time on ATS where 99 percent of the poster actually agree on a topic...

*pause to check and make sure the world hasn't ended while I wasn't looking*

Nope, still here.

It's a simple power trip by people who want everyone to be the same. Look the same. Act the same. Think the same. Etc...

Marching in lockstep as Kangareux so rightly pointed out earlier.

Were I that parent? Not sure I want my kid going to a school so bent on brainwashing...
edit on 3/28/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I understand where that argument comes from, and it seems a logical position to take to some.

However it's doesn't seem to me to be supported by the evidence.

We could compare the UK and US approach in state/taxpayer funded schools- Uniforms in the UK, and according to this thread the opposite is generally true in the states.

And yet both nations have more than their fair share of unthinking followers. We could (ok, do) all have different opinions on what constitutes a mindless follower of herd mentality but if your suggestion is true, where did all the folk in the US who blindly follow the govt and military/patriot cult come from? Would they not be free thinkers instead?

And surely all Brits by this logic would blindly love the Queen and wear a bowler hat, not get pregnant at 13 and certainly not stab people on the bus to school while swigging extra strong cider and smoking a joint provided by the plantation in their attic?

I'm not defined by the clothes I may have to wear at work or school; my identity is about my ideas, beliefs and activities.

Ofc I am exaggerating a tad for impact, but help me out here as i'm not seeing the connection.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I'm not defined by the clothes I may have to wear at work or school; my identity is about my ideas, beliefs and activities.

Kudos to you, sir. That's as it should be.

As for the rest? There is no one particular way of trying to entice us into a neat little box. TV. The education system. Even, to a degree, the internet. ...I'm sure you can come up with other ways that try to guide us. But since it's a scattershot methodology, there are going to be a lot of misses amongst the hits. You seem to be one. I like to think that I'm one as well...
. I'm a bit older than most here, and I had parents that taught/forced me to think for myself, and the methods hadn't, assuming there are any methods, been perfected yet...and still aren't. So maybe I had a bit of a shield between it, and me.

I honestly do think there is a concerted effort to entice us, and our children, into those easily controlled little boxes. Think like this, or you're a terrorist. Worship this God this way, or you're evil. Etc... etc...

Fortunately, I also think there are several "teams" out there trying to do the same thing...so they wind up, to a degree, compromising each others intent.

Or something like that...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I mean as in the UK health service is organized according to postal district with different districts deciding on how they will and won't apportion their monies to different treatments and regimes of care. You are assigned to a district based on which postal code you live under, and if you get a good one that's well run and not overly corrupt, then things tend to go well. If you don't then you might wind up being one of the many horror stories we hear about.

Things are similar with the US public school system. If you get a good district, then you'll say the system isn't bad, but if you get stuck in a bad one ... well, sucks to be you because trying to get out of it is very difficult and they will put you in jail for fraud if they determine that you don't actually live in the district your kids are going to school in.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: hotel1
A clue to all this could lie in the Principal apparently being a she. It could be she is liberal/military hating/plug ugly feminist of the type that Soldiers, Marines etc generally only hit on when they are drunk/desperate. Or she may have been p'd and d,d by one or more in the past. Humour intentional in this post.

I wanted to say something to that order but I was too chicken sheet about getting seriously chastised. Good on you!
You own the kahunas my friend.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I guess the parent's outrage here isn't about the dress code rules or even the haircut rules. It's that she tried to follow them and thought that a military style haircut would be about as conservative as you could get and certainly seemed to fit the school's printed haircut guidelines.

It would be as if I sent my son to school wearing his uniform slacks next year secure in the knowledge that I was following the rules and then they sent him home because the clothing didn't follow the guidelines even though I had done everything according to the printed guides.

And indeed his haircut did fall within the guidelines. He was sent home because the cut was "distracting," not because it didn't follow the printed guidelines for cut hair. And "distracting" is in the eye of the beholder. So maybe in the example above, my son might get sent home because his pants look over large even though he has effectively a 24 month waist and 5-year-old length legs. It makes it very hard to fit him in a reasonable fashion without him looking like a junior gangster.

edit on 28-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: hotel1
A clue to all this could lie in the Principal apparently being a she. It could be she is liberal/military hating/plug ugly feminist of the type that Soldiers, Marines etc generally only hit on when they are drunk/desperate. Or she may have been p'd and d,d by one or more in the past. Humour intentional in this post.

I wanted to say something to that order but I was too chicken sheet about getting seriously chastised. Good on you!
You own the kahunas my friend.

Thank you my friend. So called liberals, and in particular the type of feminist of I alluded to will tell you that they are all about freedom of expression etc. What you will notice is that this oh so modern and egalitarian thinking only applies to thoughts, statements, and ideas that do not run contrary to their Groupthink. When they encounter this heresy they attempt to silence it through shaming tactics, and if that fails they will resort to legal means to silence any dissenters where they will find a very sympathetic establishment.

So if you wish to speak your true mind you better watch your back and have the armour of rock solid evidence to back you up
Good luck to you brave soul
:up

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join