It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing Really Matters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

I think negative attitudes tend to snowball and get worse over time. Choose to be happy becasue when it comes down to it, its really up to you and only you to be a happy person.

I agree with this 100%. Happiness, anger, depression, they're all choices... pick one.

Rubbish. You cannot even choose what thought comes next. Energy is moving but there is no you doing it - you are simply being it.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within.

It comes through you, not from 'within'. In that sense the source is external.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within.

It comes through you, not from 'within'. In that sense the source is external.

Happiness or I would rather call it underlying peace and contentment, does not come from anywhere.
It is there prior to any belief in any concept.
It is only when concepts are seen for what they are, that the concept that appeared to have life (which is the original sin) will lift away. No one can HAVE life. Life is not a possession - life is alive as this.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Happiness or I would rather call it underlying peace and contentment, does not come from anywhere.

How do you know when you have done or are doing something "wrong"?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I hate to say this, but may I suggest medication?
It isn't all bad, but when you feel as bad as you state--unless you feel better after this little rant, than a decent doctor should be able to ease you along the way to a better outlook.

Otherwise, there is a very bleak future.

Sure you can suggest it, at the cost of looking naive and/or having poor advice.

Psychoactive medication is just a stronger delusion. You might "feel" better at a heavy price, and end up paying for it years to come.

You say the future could be bleak without it, and you suggest a doctor simply for writing this "little rant". This is nothing compared to a true rant. I really question your judgement, but maybe it's because you took your own advice sometime in the past.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

How do you know when you have done or are doing something "wrong"?

That is what makes life 'matter' isn't it?
The idea of right and wrong and the idea that there is someone doing life.
Life is being what it is. Thinking makes believe there is an alternative.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i guess it's Metallica Day. second thread that brought one of their songs to mind.

edit on 21-3-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It doesn't 'come from' us. It comes through us.

For instance, most people think it is wrong to murder someone. Not because hey were taught this, because they already know it.

But go ahead and try doing it, see how loud your conscience bells ring?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

It doesn't 'come from' us. It comes through us.
Life is happening - what is 'us'?

For instance, most people think it is wrong to murder someone. Not because hey were taught this, because they already know it.

That does seem to be what appears to happen. However if murdering happens then it does. Going to fight in a war might not be considered murdering and that happens too.

edit on 21-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Tuff love

I say dope is not the answer. How about you straighten your
ass up, accept the life you have and grab it by the balls and
smile and have fun everywhere that takes you? Or you can
dwell as you are now and that will take you no where.
Was your Dad around much?
edit on Ram32115v29201500000010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Life is happening - what is 'us'?

The individual (if you hold there is a soul) is comprised of different parts… the mind body and soul. If we consider that the body is temporary (it 'dies') then the soul is on a 'higher' plane. If so the that is the real 'us', not this husk or shell (body).

Going to fight in a war might not be considered murdering and that happens too.

Because we are trained away from our reason and conscience. Killing is okay because its war, its justified, we have been conditioned to accept it, seen thousands of murders on TV, video games, war movies, etc.

Trained young, grabbed while still young and trained to kill…

Soldiers are few compared to the overall population. Manipulated to justify murder, because they are the enemy.

edit on 21-3-2015 by intrptr because: bb code and spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In some very real sense your despair is valuable. You are seeing that everything you try does not make you happy - and that is real insight. Rather than just allowing your despair to determine your state of feeling, etc., use this period to really inspect your actual circumstance.

We all exist in a vast field of relatedness - and are completely dependent on external conditions for our very survival. Yes, this is obvious, but consider the truth of it - everyone and everything is related, whether we like it or not.

Embrace this basic truth of relatedness altogether, use this period to find out what is actually going on in this life we all are participating in. If you submit yourself to this discovery intensely and consistently, by constantly feeling your actual condition of relatedness here, the reality of our actual situation is bound to break through with some kind of revelation.

Best to you.

edit on 3/21/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

If I found life to be pointless, I personally would consider suicide, because at that point I'd simply be taking up much valuable space and resources for no reason. But this realization would at least show me that it is my existence that is pointless, and not all existence.

This is where the pessimist is the bigger liar. He finds every thing pointless except the idea that everything is pointless. This judgement, at the very least, is meaningful to him. Thus, he refutes himself.

Happiness is pointless, not life. If you want to strive for happiness, do heroin. Instead, strive to be interesting. You'll find happiness comes with such a pursuit.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Striving for something is not being it. Striving for happiness is not being happy.
Striving to be interesting is not being interesting.
Striving is striving - it is seeking something that is not.
Striving produces the illusion that there is a striver - it is this imagined separate striver which needs something to make it happy.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

After all, you only live once, right?

Wrong. The cat sitting downstairs in my living room right now is the same cat that walked with me through the forests outside the first city. She may have traded her short black fur for a more Sylvester-esque hairdo, but her personality has barely changed. (Much to my delight, though much to the chagrin of the other humans residing here...)

Most of humanity's values hinge on that one, incorrect assumption. The most perplexing of which is the concept of biological relation, as if the source of the hardware has anything to do with the source of the software. The concept of family is fundamentally the same as racism. Both concepts divide based on genetic similarity, which is objectively irrelevant and analogous to saying you like Windows - but only if it's installed on a Dell. I'm no more related to my biological parents than I am to the tree in my backyard or the fish swimming in the pond beneath it, and neither is anyone else. I will never understand the formation of emotional bonds based on such arbitrary and irrelevant criteria...

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within. How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy? Where is the happiness supposed to come from?.....
So you honestly have only ever felt sadness and inadequacy inside you? Have you really looked deeply at your life? Because I think it's impossible for someone to only feel those things inside. Are you human?

I'll tell you the only good times in my life happened when I challenged myself or somehow forgot my hangups. Confidence has always ever come from challenges. Does this mean anything to you? I think the secret is we're at least half responsible for what happens in our lives. You cannot blame everything on the external world or otehrwise on things you cannot change. Ask yourself whether you can eliminate yourself as being partly responsible for your negative feelings?

Two thoughts really stick in my mind. The first is about success. Success is determined by how you lose, not how you win. Everybody loses, you see. But not everybody gets back up after losing. The second is about smart people. Smart people learn from their own mistakes, but really smart people learn from the mistakes of others too.

I wish you well anyway. I've been down in my life too at times. Sometimes real low. So I feel like I have to give you a hand or give you advice. I've also had many good moments. Fundamentally, I'm optimistic, but it's peppered with some pessimism too. The sweetness is bitter. I believe it can be good and bad. It depends on a variety of things. But never eliminate your own choices from the equation, or you rob yourself of the capability to change course when it would benefit you.
edit on 21-3-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hello Dark Ghost.

I made this account to say that you're not alone in the way you feel. You basically described me in your first post. I'm still trying to find something that really engages me as well. It can be really unplesant for those of us who don't actively 'play' in the collective reality with everyone else. Perhaps we have innate knowledge that somewhere, there is something better for us than the mundane. Or maybe, as others have mentioned, we're broken and in need of medication.
edit on 21-3-2015 by sevaet because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2015 by sevaet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Who is seeking what?
There is no who separate from what.
The what is seeking.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sevaet

Perhaps we have innate knowledge that somewhere, there is something better for us than the mundane. Or maybe, as others have mentioned, we're broken and in need of medication.

Always imagining that there is something other than what there is will no doubt be disturbing.
What there is is not very interesting really - it might be passed off as mundane but living in the mental realm of what is not happening can feel exciting but can also cause anxiety too. The sensations that happen when the mind is projecting images in imagination of what is not happening cause contraction and tension.
What is really happening is not dramatic enough for the mind so the mind imagines itself as a hero or a villain in a story of what is not happening.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
double post
edit on 21-3-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join