It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing Really Matters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within. How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy? Where is the happiness supposed to come from? Find a hobby to take part in? What if you are not really that talented or skilled at anything? Ask friends to spend time with? What if their presence does not do anything for you? Exercise? Well it doesn't really help. Play games to distract yourself from the reality of your existence and escape the issues in your life? Been there, done that.

Do this, do that, listen to that person, seize the day! After all, you only live once, right? Be the best person you can be. Do the things you most enjoy in your free time. Form strong, meaningful relationships with others. Think of what you do have and be appreciative of it, not worrying about what you don't have. Admire the achievements of others and share in their joy, don't be envious or have a chip on your shoulder.

I've heard all this advice, but it doesn't really address anything. The best I can do is continuously remind myself that this current feeling is only temporary and will pass by. Then, I will be in a more positive, clearer and better state of mind.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I hate to say this, but may I suggest medication?
It isn't all bad, but when you feel as bad as you state--unless you feel better after this little rant, than a decent doctor should be able to ease you along the way to a better outlook.

As some philosophies contend, life itself is about suffering, but not to the extent that you are experiencing. If you can't appreciate the flowers in the field without complaining about the cow pies you stumbled over getting out to see them, then you need a self-readjustment, a decent friend or medication. Otherwise, there is a very bleak future.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
I hate to say this, but may I suggest medication?
It isn't all bad, but when you feel as bad as you state--unless you feel better after this little rant, than a decent doctor should be able to ease you along the way to a better outlook.

Medication can only help to a certain degree. It helps you manage, it does not cure anything. Doctors/psychiatrists/psychologists all give advice like was mentioned in the opening post.

As some philosophies contend, life itself is about suffering, but not to the extent that you are experiencing. If you can't appreciate the flowers in the field without complaining about the cow pies you stumbled over getting out to see them, then you need a self-readjustment, a decent friend or medication. Otherwise, there is a very bleak future.

The future is very bleak. All those things don't really help at times like these I'm afraid.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Get a perscritption for medicinal mary jane...all your worries will just float away.

Anyway...best i can give you is...dont burden yourself with great ecpectations of life...the meaning truely is in the little things. Days lived...persons loved...experiences. however futile they may seem. Your phase serves a purpose...to get you to eventualy change.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

It sounds like you've chosen apathy as a strategy.

They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within. How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy? Where is the happiness supposed to come from?

'True happiness' is a meme that's sold to us. It makes us forever hungry for something that doesn't exist. People who believe they are 'truly happy' are lacking perspective aren't they? Happiness exists in the moment and can just as easily be replaced by an another emotion, or state of mind ,as quickly as you can say 'relationship breakup' or 'chronic illness.' This means the pathway of our lives will cross through different emotional areas - it's normal. 'True happiness' would require a very low IQ and all of your needs being met.

It's still an unavoidable reality that happiness does come from within. It can't be projected from external sources or sent through the post. Even the love of a partner and children can't always bestow happiness on us. Like it or not, happiness is a matter of perspective...which is something we can use our willpower to change.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I have indeed basked in apathy.

But when you consider life, and I mean REALLY consider it, the insignificance of your own life in the grand scheme of existence automatically leads one to be apathetic.

You make some really valuable points, but they don't change the grim nature of reality.

edit on 21/3/2015 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

You make some really valuable points, but they don't change the grim nature of reality.

No. They don't change the grim nature of your current reality. A lot of other people are content with their realities.

If you can think back in your life, there have been times of happiness right? Don't forget that. This means whatever your perception is telling you right now will inevitably change in the future.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I've always understood it to mean that since we personally give the external world meaning that is why "happiness is inside us". Things "out there" don't have any objective meaning themselves, we give meaning to them and our experience of them. So it's actually ourselves that ultimately control if we are "happy" about it.

That is why something that makes you happy at one point in time may not do the same later. It's not that object that is doing it, it's the meaning we give it. So the "happy" is always there waiting for you to apply it, the trick is knowing how to control the on/off switch for it at will.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
But when you consider life, and I mean REALLY consider it, the insignificance of your own life in the grand scheme of existence automatically leads one to be apathetic.

In the Grand Scheme everything is meaningless. Galaxies come and go amid vast scales of time space. Compared to that no little life form even comes close. That's a good thing too. All "information" must recycle at some point. That's how "space/time" stays fresh, so to speak. Everything at some point must be wiped clean.

However, we live in the very non-grand scheme as people and that "living space" is why things do have meaning. Once again, you give it meaning, not the stuff out there. As it applies to you personally of course. This is why it's not all meaningless or insignificant at all. It's actually a small blip of time where you have any meaning at all which is significant to you, or at least it should be.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Strawberry Fields forever?

Unless you are totally hydrated and have been taking at least several grams of Vitamin C a day (1000 mgs in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening at a minimum) you haven't began to live. And get yourself off of meat and animal products as well, if you haven't, already, or you haven't began to live. Enjoy Vegas and its many walking attractions, or you haven't began to live. And the "prescription" mentioned above also gives a guideline, or you haven't began....well, you know the drill.

edit on 21-3-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Play games to distract yourself from the reality of your existence and escape the issues in your life? Been there, done that.

As long as there appears to be a separate you having a life there will be suffering. What is trying to escape is nothing but an illusion. Until the illusion is seen through life will be a heavy burden.
What is the reality of your existence? Has that been explored?
What do you really exist as?
If you have an image in mind of what you are then it will be a constant struggle to maintain it or stop being it.
If you realize that you are not that image but the 'seeing' of the image you might find that you are no longer bound to uphold it or need to escape it.

Do this, do that, listen to that person, seize the day! After all, you only live once, right? Be the best person you can be. Do the things you most enjoy in your free time. Form strong, meaningful relationships with others. Think of what you do have and be appreciative of it, not worrying about what you don't have. Admire the achievements of others and share in their joy, don't be envious or have a chip on your shoulder.

Forget advice on how to be and do. Life is alive as this and you do not have to do anything - this is Beingness already.
It is Being that is doing - there is no you separate to that.

I've heard all this advice, but it doesn't really address anything. The best I can do is continuously remind myself that this current feeling is only temporary and will pass by. Then, I will be in a more positive, clearer and better state of mind.

All that appears is temporary and you are the seeing of that.

edit on 21-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy? Where is the happiness supposed to come from?

Because happiness is a choice. I've met people with a 6 figure checking account that lived in a mansion and stayed at their vacation houses in the summertime and bought whatever they wanted and they were some of the unhappiest people I've ever known. I've also met folks that lived in a shack with no running water and used a gourd dipper to drink water out of a ground well and they were some of the happiest people I've ever met.

Find a hobby to take part in? What if you are not really that talented or skilled at anything?

You don't have to be good at it at first. Just find something that you like to do and you will get good at it without really trying. Everyone can be good at something.

Ask friends to spend time with? What if their presence does not do anything for you?

Maybe find some friends that are trying to do positive things with their life. I know the only time I've ever wanted to better myself is when I surround myself with people of the same mindset.

Exercise? Well it doesn't really help.

It helps a great deal, I think you haven't really tried it if thats what you really think.

I think negative attitudes tend to snowball and get worse over time. Choose to be happy becasue when it comes down to it, its really up to you and only you to be a happy person.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I totally hear you. Apathy are distractions are necessary at times for me to deal with life. Otherwise, the insignificance of it all is overwhelming.

edit on 3/21/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

They say true happiness cannot come from an external source but rather from within.

Where are feeling felt? Are feelings 'out there'?
Something is needed to be sad but nothing is needed to be happy.
What is wrong with right now? No doubt thought will arise to tell you that there is something missing, something wrong, something lacking - that imagined something is what causes the unhappiness.

How can this be the case when all you feel inside are sadness and inadequacy?

It is the imagination that you are missing whatever it is that is appearing in mind which makes for the inadequacy. There is nothing missing really but the mind tells you that there is something, something other than this that is.

Seeking 'outside' this moment produces what might now appear to be a 'seeker' - it is the action of seeking which creates the illusion that there is someone to keep happy.
Happiness is what there is when it is found that there is no one - just the action of seeking. When seeking for what isn't drops away so does the illusion the there is a seeker separate from the sought.
This is it - there is nothing else.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This may help lift away the sadness and inadequacy and be replaced by laughter.

A rest from chasing what it is you think you have to do or achieve or get, to be happiness.
edit on 21-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I agree that nothing really matters. Not right now anyway.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
a reply to: Kandinsky

I have indeed basked in apathy.

Hopelessness is better place than hope. If you hope then you are not seeing reality, you are living in the imagination escaping reality.
Direct conscious contact is seeing, hearing, tasting and touching - life is sensational when life is not lived in the mental realm.
Reality is only grim in the mental realm of what is not really happening. Thinking about you being insignificant is not realizing that you are Being.
What is existence existing as?
This that is. Are you not or are you?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I agree that nothing really matters. Not right now anyway.

Nothing appears to be mattering, it never began and it never ends.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

I think negative attitudes tend to snowball and get worse over time. Choose to be happy becasue when it comes down to it, its really up to you and only you to be a happy person.

I agree with this 100%. Happiness, anger, depression, they're all choices... pick one.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Morning- I was going to type "Good morning" but then I'd be putting You in a position to judge it, and after reading what could be construed as "non-positive" opening salvo, how likely would that be?

Wait until You find out that "The Animator" inside of You is "Eternal" it just appears that You hopped on in 'in the middle' It is like the ring in Your avatar, You clamped on when it takes 'that turn' Which turn? Exactly. The snake that swallows it's own tail.

You can see/feel the 'thought' and it is the 'physical' which is the illusion...

Live/die/re-boot if necessary...

The only 'constant' is "change" and the only thing remaining the same is TheTruth...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join