It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs posted on at least 6 businesses in Austin say "Exclusively for white people only"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
a reply to: Annee

They'll get to the bottom of it, and then maybe you'll see. I am 99.9% certain this was not posted by a racist person or group, but actually the opposite... which DRIVES THE WEDGE, PERPETUATES DIVISION.

I've lived in Austin for 12 years, and it is a melting pot of very friendly and open people.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stop the reason" when the reason very well could be opposite of what you believe based upon your assumption.

I personally think its about LGBT equality.

The mayor said this: Austin Mayor Steve Adler: ‘White people’ stickers appalling, offensive

Does he say the same about the legal push to discriminate against LGBT?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Exactly what I was thinking.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Might be because of this....

Black Panthers march downtown Austin, TX during SXSW chanting slogans supporting killing cops. This is the type of propaganda we saw in Ferguson funded by George Soros. "A pig is a pig that's what I said, the only good pig is a pig that's dead". "Oink! Oink! Bang! Bang!". "Marching down the avenue, 20 more pigs and we'll be through".

Black Panthers Call For Killing of Police During SXSW Armed March

You mean the KKK didn't show up to take care of those protesters? I guess the geniuses claiming that Austin is full of racist white people aren't as bright as they think they are.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am gay and I have a job where I am not discriminated against and housing where I am not discriminated against, I feel that I am treated equally.

I must be missing something.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am gay and I have a job where I am not discriminated against and housing where I am not discriminated against, I feel that I am treated equally.

Clearly this thread is full of folks who have never been to Austin and are commenting based on the southern-state stereotypes.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Well good for you.

Then I guess you are not following the laws that are trying to be passed in the name of religious freedom/discrimination.

NOTE: if I could have gone to college, I would have become a Social Anthropologist. Society/social structure fascinates me. It's not just LGBT, it's eveything. This is just my area of interest.
edit on 19-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Clearly this thread is full of folks who have never been to Austin and are commenting based on the southern-state stereotypes.

I'm following the laws that are trying to be passed to make discrimination legal in the name of religious freedom.

My daughters best friend has lived in Austin for about 20 years. I'm aware that Austin is an amazing city and very liberal compared to other areas of a Texas. I'm born and bred Californian. Same issue that many have a single focus of California.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Springer
I see a no name politician getting lots of free press and publicity. Hmmm.

Yeah, I'm terribly jaded...

Not jaded...smart.
I think you may have hit at least one of the nails on the head.

Very interesting. LINK

Rep. Dukes to serve on powerful House Committees by: Rep. Dukes, Dawnna 02/04/2015 AUSTIN— Today, Rep. Dawnna Dukes (Austin) was reappointed to two powerful committees for the 84th Session and appointed vice chair for the newly created Select Committee on Emerging Issues in Texas Law Enforcement. ..........

The Select Committee has been charged with investigating and reviewing the training and professional needs of law enforcement in the state of Texas. This includes examining and addressing emerging use of new technologies by law enforcement in policing and community interaction, such as the use of body cameras, drones, and the rise of various information technology collection and sorting systems.

I would have to suspect that stirring up racial tension and divide is definitely an AGENDA.

She owns a consulting firm that focuses on the areas of criminal justice, safety and loss control, research planning, and business resource development.

I smell government grant money.

I would look closely here. LINK

edit on 19-3-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I think you got it !!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: kevinp2300
Racism is alive and well in the 21st century folks. 6 signs were posted on businesses in Austin, Texas saying "exclusively for white people only." My next question is if the businesses were in the know about these signs.

Rep. Dawnna Dukes, D-Austin, posted a message on facebook stating,

“Some jokes are not funny,” she wrote. “If this is a joke at all, it is tasteless. … I will be damned if this will occur in my House District … in this historical black community or any community.”

She wrote that city officials are investigating the origins of the sticker but urged people to not support the store until “ ‘some explaining’ is done.”

“If the explanation is unbelievable …. They need to be put out of business, ASAP,”

This smells like another case of racism fraud. Has investigation turned up that these signs were posted by someone of color?

However, one of the companies, Rare Trends, later said

“We are victims of an outrageous vandalism act occurring on many East Austin business,”

“Rare Trends does not or will never discriminate against any person regardless of their age, ethnicity or religious beliefs.”

Some of the businesses are actually not owned by white people so maybe there was no knowledge from the businesses. Thoughts?

LINK

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

i live in chicago and there are businesses catering to all kinds of different ethnic groups, ethiopian, hispanic, middle eastern, german, czech, polish, greek, italian, african american but i never saw a sign saying it was only for such and such group, the closest i could think of is the italian social clubs. i don't think there is anything wrong w it as long as they don't have a so and so only sticker on their doors. i would feel odd in a polish store w all the signs being in polish but if i really wanted to get some pierogis and polish sausage i will go in there and purchase some. no big deal.

the whites only stickers were obviously some kind of inappropriate prank.

as far as your statement saying the slave trade was the root and blacks traded slaves before america was a country, that might be true but you have to remember there was institutionalized racism (jim crow laws) and segregation going on long after slavery was abolished. into the 60's and not too long ago and probably still going on is the real estate scandals of only showing homes in certain neighborhoods to only white people. so yes racism is still alive and well on all fronts blacks, whites, hispanics, asians can all be racist towards one another but it is getting better and people of all colors are inter marrying etc etc so imo in the long run hopefully we can all put racist ideas behind us and get along.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I'm a native Texan, born and bred. I have lived in Austin, attended UT, had a thriving business and it is truly an oasis of liberalism in basically a redneck, racist, Fundamentalist Christian State in the old South. Even in Texas, Austin is spoken of derogatorily by the conservatives in the rural areas.

The main reason I left Texas and my farm is because my Hispanic wife and I got so tired of the threats and racists, white trash comments.

I don't know about the stickers but I know plenty of people [some in my family] that reflect the "whites only" sentiment the stickers embody.
edit on 19-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I'm a native Texan, born and bred. I have lived in Austin, attended UT, had a thriving business and it is truly an oasis of liberalism in basically a redneck, racist, Fundamentalist Christian State in the old South.

The main reason I left Texas and my farm is because my Hispanic wife and I got so tired of the threats and racists, white trash comments.

I don't know about the stickers but I know plenty of people [some in my family] that reflect the "whites only" sentiment the stickers state.

Austin is a great city. I live in Dallas now and there isn't a sense of racism here either. I grew up in Mississippi where the racism is palpable.

The simple fact is, there are racist assholes in every state. Texas definitely doesn't have a monopoly.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I lived in Austin for many years, I have too say I never encountered any form of racism. It's a great place too live and have a family.

The one thing I liked the most about it was the culture, great food, people from many walks of life, also excellent coffee shops which I miss the most.

Apparently there are morons everywhere.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I think you got it !!

Any idea what "emerging" issues they are talking about? IMO, the only "emerging" issues are the ones this administration is creating.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Not sure where these stickers came from, obviously. Texas is the only place I've lived where I had to deal directly with racism. It was Greenville, not Austin, but we used to find signs next to our house and on the path we would take every day down to the lake...stuff I don't want to repeat. I was in the eighth grade.

The year or two I lived there left a very sour taste in my mouth about Texas. By the way, I'm white, it was enough just having a black step-dad and mixed little sisters. Before that experience racism was more just an abstract thing that I had heard existed.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I think you got it !!

Any idea what "emerging" issues they are talking about? IMO, the only "emerging" issues are the ones this administration is creating.

There's some legislative action going on...

There's must be some hidden "issues"....

Pending Texas House Emerging Issues In Texas Law Enforcement, Select Committee

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kevinp2300

Considering the civil rights act and the commerce clause put a stop to that type of idiotic bigoted no talent ass clown asshattery.....

If the idiot is going to post signs like that then we should be hearing from everyone regardless of skin color and boycott the business, joke or not.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Of course the businesses didn't put this up. 6 or whatever businesses conspired and all used the same sticker? This is SXSW time of the year and lots of money spent. The businesses didn't do this. And seeing as how's it's SXSW, if you want attention this is the perfect time. Perfect time for a person, not the perfect time for a business.

And with the way Austin is, it'd be more likely that a minority put up these stickers, honestly. Or the lesser chance that it was done solely for comedy by some pranksters, but to say out of legitimate racism, I'd say about a 5% chance. And with most college kids out on spring break, and I'd say little chance a high schooler went to the trouble to make stickers, something is off. And older populations than college wouldn't do this. Austin, campus area in particular, is pretty big on stickers, posters, flyers, ect. And UT has 40,000-50,000 students, majority on spring break, huge influx in tourists, its actually a good chance that even a tourist did this...the most likely culprits aren't even here hardly.

And with ATS and crappy mobile support and part of my post getting deleted, gonna leave this post as is lol

edit on 19-3-2015 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
These are businesses on a main st I am presuming. Why is no one asking to see the video footage of the cameras around these buildings? This is clearly a set up against white people. According to the article some of the signs were placed on windows of store owners who are not even white.

They want a divide of the races, find out who is doing this and show their faces all over the news, the internet, everywhere. There are cameras everywhere, that see everything, the police need to do their job and get to the bottom of this. The calling for people to boycott businesses is really getting old, maybe the people who are calling for the boycotts are the ones who put them up?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join