It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Endocannabinoid System(ECS) and you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I have been doing a lot of research into this subject lately and wanted to share some of my findings and feelings with you the fine people of ATS. This thread is to discuss the The Endocannabinoid System(ECS). Not the use of cannabis, THC, or any other "illegal" substance.

First what is The Endocannabinoid System(ECS)?
It literally means the Cannabinoid system inside the body.
Let me repeat that...
The NATURAL system of cannabinoid receptors in our body.

The endocannabinoid system is a group of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors in the brain that are involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, and memory; it mediates the psychoactive effects of cannabis and, broadly speaking, includes:
Wiki(Source)

The Cannabinoids

Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of at least 85 active cannabinoids identified in cannabis.[4] It is a major phytocannabinoid, accounting for up to 40% of the plant's extract.[5] CBD is considered to have a wider scope of medical applications than tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).[5] An orally-administered liquid containing CBD has received orphan drug status in the US, for use as a treatment for Dravet syndrome, under the brand name Epidiolex.[6]

Cannabinol (CBN) is a weak psychoactive cannabinoid found only in trace amounts in Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica.[5] It is mostly a metabolite of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).[6] CBN acts as a weak agonist of CB1 receptors but has a higher affinity to CB2 receptors, with lower affinities in comparison to THC.[7][8] Because it is a somewhat selective CB2 receptor agonist, it is used experimentally as an immunosuppressant.

Cannabigerol (CBG) is the “stem cell” for many chemicals in marijuana, including THC and CBD. CBG also has a number of medical properties of its own.

When we consider the major cannabinoids, cannabichromene (CBC) is sort of “the ugly duckling.” CBC doesn’t get a lot of praise nor attention, but it has shown to have profound benefits. Similar to cannbidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBC stems from the all-important cannabigerolic acid (CBG-A).

Those are just 4 of the 80 cannabinoid's known to be in the hemp/cannabis plant. A big misnomer is true hemp and cannabis can not get you high because the canabinoid known as CBD is an anti-psychoactive. Canceling the effects of the psychoactive THC. Human intervention has created the plant that gets you high not nature in this case.

(NaturalNews) Woven into the fabric of the human body is an intricate system of proteins known as cannabinoid receptors that are specifically designed to process cannabinoids such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), one of the primary active components of marijuana. And it turns out, based on the findings of several major scientific studies, that human breast milk naturally contains many of the same cannabinoids found in marijuana, which are actually extremely vital for proper human development.
Source

We are hard-wired with a system of Cannabinoid receptors throughout our brain and body. When these receptors are activated they permit 2-way communication between body systems, something that the science books had previously taught was impossible.

This flower still has a lot to teach us.

There is one place in the body where there are no Cannabinoid receptors – the brain stem. The brain stem is the control centre for the heart and breathing. What this means is that it is not possible for Cannabinoids to overwhelm those systems and cause them to shut down. This is why, in 4000 years no one has ever died from consuming Hemp.

We seemed to have a cannabinoid safety mechanism of sorts that prevents us from suffering any adverse effects that could arise from the consumption of cannadinoid's.

Due to the persecution of Hemp and Cannabis in the last 80 years, most humans living today have gone their entire lives without feeding their bodies these raw materials. You might imagine it like a large orchestra being made to play blind-folded. They can’t see the conductor and they can’t read the music. Sometimes they get it right but most of the time it’s a mess.
Source

So in other words cannabinoids are an essential make up of a fully functioning healthy body. A supplement of sorts. I'm not promoting the smoking of cannabis here. But I am promoting the use of CBD and CBN compounds and supplements,that are 100% legal everywhere. The very things we are taught to deprive our body's of could be the very thing it needs most to combat the rigors of life in this polluted world we now live.

If it's so bad for us why does it take 30+ days for cannabinoids like THC/CBD/CBN to leave the system? When it takes only days for most opiates and other designer drugs to leave our system. Our body seems to want to eembrace and hold onto the lowly cannabinoid.

Endocannabinoid deficiency

edit on 16-3-2015 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2015 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Dude. I'm at a loss for words. Just an excellent, outstanding thread chock full of important and oppressed information.

Huzzah!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Very good thread although I disagree about the comment re humans making Cannabis psychoactive. The Indus valley region has always had this plant growing in its psychoactive form and, from my understanding, it was the plants evolution against being consumed by cattle that caused it to grow the pungent sweet smell and sticky texture that some of us treasure.

edit on 16-3-2015 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat
Thank you for the kind words. I find it sad that this information is not common knowledge.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

As do I my friend, as do I. Hopefully one day it will be.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin
Thank you. Your right. I was generalizing most of the original mother sativas I'm aware of had 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. But some indica strains to my knowledge were very potent without any human intervention.

But there is no denying the current trend is to have as much THC as possible.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
*High*ly informative thread!
S&F!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
So our ancient ancestor were all on the reefers and evolved receptors to it?
Am I reading this correctly?
I knew that already lol

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wait, so in school they taught us about the circulatory system, the nervous system, etc. And you're telling me they secretely left out the cannibus system? Oh, I am sooo mad now... They made us think its a drug...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's very intriguing that this receptor system is found throughout our bodies, except the brain stem. In the process of researching a paper for school years ago, I learned that our brains have the receptors. I love that our incredible brains function the way they do. Something in our collective history somehow triggered our control center to want to receive cannabinoids, and also somehow also created the fail safe of the brain stem being the only part that just won't receive it.

I find it incredible that those receptors are also spread throughout our entire systems. It would be health bringing to millions if this is true, provable and fixable. There are countless numbers of people suffering terribly due to inflammatory and intestinal problems. If this is the case and the ability to repair deficient receptors become available then the implications are truly life changing!! As a person with celiac disease, I would love nothing more than for this to be investigated more. Let's only hope that the current momentum toward acceptance continues. Any herb that our bodies have a receptor for has to be better than whatever chemicals they can dream up in a lab somewhere!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

I'm truly sorry to hear about that. Celiac disease is no joke and depending on who you ask Cannabinoids can help. Particularly CBN, though it can be a bit sleepy. It is however amazing for the auto immunity system. Anything to stimulate the CB-2 receptors in your case. That's what you want to target.
Thanks for the reply and good luck!
PS. You are always more than welcome in Colorado.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

We seemed to have a cannabinoid safety mechanism of sorts that prevents us from suffering any adverse effects that could arise from the consumption of cannadinoid's.

Lost a best friend who suffered the adverse effect of major stupidity from cannabis, have seen many other travel that road and some few friends regain control of their brain by quitting!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Not sure how i missed this thread but it has found me now....i dont really have anything to add but a
and carry on....

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What an awesome thread, can't believe I missed it but I've been on an ATS hiatus for a while.
OP have you seen this thread? Tryptamines and God. We're all walking felonies

edit on 20-1-2016 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2016 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Bravo! Well-written thread!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Lost a best friend who suffered the adverse effect of major stupidity from cannabis, have seen many other travel that road and some few friends regain control of their brain by quitting!

Like everything else in life, over-consumption (addiction, substance abuse) will cause ill effects.

(post by hoytmathews removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Great info JAY s&f

I have never come across this before but will be sharing this with a judge when i get my turn in the dock

it was for madicinal purposes your honor

(post by cbdvapegenius removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Three year old thread, and I missed it...

S&F

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join