It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of ‘Gatekeeper of God Amun’ unearthed in Luxor :

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

An ancient tomb belonging to Amenhotep, guard of the temple of Egyptian deity Amun, has been discovered in the southern city of Luxor, the Egypt's antiquities ministry said on Tuesday.

The ministry said the tomb probably dates to the New Kingdom's 18th Dynasty (1543–1292 BC). Photographs distributed by the ministry show a tomb with bright green and brown paintings with hieroglyphics. "The tomb contains many stunning scenes with bright colours painted on plaster," Antiquities Minister Mamdouh Eldamaty said in a statement. “Figures of the solar god Amun inside the tomb were intentionally erased and demolished by the followers of the heretic Pharaoh Akhenaten (1353B.C–1336B.C), who was the first recorded monotheist on earth,” said Sultan Eid, Director of Upper Egypt Antiquities Department [Credit: Luxor magazine] "Many of scenes represent the tomb owner and his wife in front of an offering table and a view of a goddess nursing a royal child as well as scenes of the daily life," he added. The tomb was discovered by a team of American archaeologists alongside an Egyptian inspectors' team in the city of Luxor, 700 kilometres (435 miles) south of Cairo.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...-
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

kilk the link cool pics of the Tomb
:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
New discoveries in Egypt are always fascinating, and this one is no exception. From the pictures, it also looks te be remarkably well-preserved.

I'm curious as to where exactly this tomb is located, as the article says that it was accidentally discovered during cleaning and restoration work on another tomb. Is it attached to the other tomb? If so, how was it only just now noticed? I look forward to hearing more about this discovery.

As for the OP...A single sentence saying to click the link? Really? I'm giving you a star and flag, but only because it's a great find.

*waits for the inevitable flood of inane ancient alien comments*
edit on 3/6/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Awesome find

Wow can't even imagine the feeling of entering that tomb to take the pictures.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Oh Btw ATS Lost Civs crew, the link Archaeology News Network should most definitely be booked marked it is chocked full of new finds and info from every continent I could easily start a dozen threads from it, but I won't you guys go crazy ..

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Oh Btw ATS Lost Civs crew, the link Archaeology News Network should most definitely be booked marked it is chocked full of new finds and info from every continent I could easily start a dozen threads from it, but I won't you guys go crazy ..

Definitely. I've had it saved for some time, though I only look at it once a week or so. There are always interesting, new finds posted there.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That is a very good link . I read through the Mystery of Antiochus head still unsolved

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.ca...-So

Given they have the ability to unravel ancient past history ,I would think they should have little trouble uncovering what happened and who were the actors .

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
I just read that one myself. You certainly would think they would be able to find out who the people involved were. At least the artifact is safely in a museum now.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
from the OP link... there were zealots like the ISIS of today going around destroying shrines to other gods way back in the 1500-1200 bc era.

it is probably obvious that the vandals of the tomb not only painted over the older god image... but filled in the tomb with al that rock and dirt...

amazing how the tomb ceiling was plastered then painted...apparently in a closed/dark space... hmmm

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879 Just a matter of time before some "radical" Islam wackos take over Egypt and destroy all the evidence that proves humans have always had make believe gods.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
amazing how the tomb ceiling was plastered then painted...apparently in a closed/dark space... hmmm

If it were done in a closed, dark space, that would be rather impressive. But even in those times, they had a reliable method of illuminating dark spaces. Perhaps you've heard of it?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

There seems to be a spirit afoot to address that possibility .

An Egyptian administrative court on Feb. 18 upheld the Ministry of Religious Endowments’ decision issued in September 2013 to close down neighborhood places of worship of less than 80 square meters (861 square feet), a move intended to protect young people from the militancy and extremism that can prevail in such places, which lack the legal standing to hold Friday prayers. www.al-monitor.com...#

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I often wonder if that part in Indiana Jones with all the mirrors to light up the tombs was a real deal or just added .

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
I don't have the sources, but I vaguely recall just such an experiment being done fairly recently (~10-15 years). If I remember correctly, they used polished bronze mirrors, fashioned in a way similar to how they would have been in ancient times, and found that in direct sunlight, it was somewhat effective, but only for a very short distance.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Do you know if there is any truth to the arc-lamp light house in Alexandria ? We do know about the Baghdad battery or what is called a battery . I am sure it wasn't created to power a radio ,but maybe possibly a bulb ?? Another source for light may have been gas of some sorts . I am thinking about the first gas lamps for cars before they used electrical .

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Great post, SF,
Here is some Wiki info - if you notice the article has not been updated, says the location of the tomb is uncertain.
Amenhotep I

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
a reply to: Spider879 Just a matter of time before some "radical" Islam wackos take over Egypt and destroy all the evidence that proves humans have always had make believe gods.

Gawd I hope not,ancient artifacts have been taken a beating lately, the ultimate soft target..sigh!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: St Udio

If it were done in a closed, dark space, that would be rather impressive. But even in those times, they had a reliable method of illuminating dark spaces. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Well going waaay back to the cave days we could find a way to Illuminate the space that gave us those wonderful cave art, perhaps used in initiation rites.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Do you know if there is any truth to the arc-lamp light house in Alexandria ? We do know about the Baghdad battery or what is called a battery . I am sure it wasn't created to power a radio ,but maybe possibly a bulb ?? Another source for light may have been gas of some sorts . I am thinking about the first gas lamps for cars before they used electrical .

I have no idea, as I wasn't there, but I sincerely doubt it. We have records detailing the construction of the lighthouse of Alexandria, how long it took to build (12 years), its' dimensions, its' decoration, and even how much it cost to build, and every source indicates that it used polished mirrors to reflect the sun during the day, and lit a large bonfire at night.

I also have some serious doubts that 'Baghdad batteries' were ever used to generate electricity at all. To do so, they would have to be filled with an acidic solution, which there is no evidence of, plus, several have been found still sealed, and while no acidic solution was found, they did contain scrolls. Even if they were filled with juice or some such, as would be required for them to be capable of generating any electricity, they had an asphalt cap on them, which completely sealed-in the iron and copper bits. So even if they were generating electricity, there would be no way to use it, as there was no way to connect anything to it.

This site has a pretty good explanation that goes into more detail.

But that's just my opinion. Do your own research and draw your conclusions from that.

Edit: Our ancestors were quite clever. There are a lot of different ways to light a building/cave/etc with fire, even without leaving much soot behind.

Try dousing a roll of toilet paper in rubbing alcohol then lighting it. I'm not saying this is what the ancients used lol, but I think you'll be surprised at how long and bright it burns and what it puts off as it does. Although, now that I think about it, they did have parchment, and they did have alcohol, so who know? Lol

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Awesome find

Wow can't even imagine the feeling of entering that tomb to take the pictures.

Amen!

or should I say Amun =)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Egyptian tomb painters used oil lamps, and to stop the oil from smoking, salt was mixed in with the oil, I wonder what bright spark figured that out?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join