It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Report Finds China's Space Plans Threaten U.S. Military Ability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Maybe we can forget Iran and Isreal and focus our obsession on China for a while.

(Bloomberg) -- China is developing space technologies aimed at blocking U.S. military communications and destroying its ability to win conflicts, according to a report commissioned by a panel created by the U.S. Congress.

“China’s improving space capabilities have negative-sum consequences for U.S. military security,” the University of California Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation said in the report. Its progress requires “the U.S. to prepare to confront an adversary possessing space and counter-space technologies.”

The report, released Monday in Washington, comes as Congress debates President Barack Obama’s request for a Defense Department budget increase of 7.7 percent to $534.3 billion and ways to align defense strategy and spending. The top U.S. intelligence official and the commander of the U.S. Strategic Command both warned last week that China’s space program threatens U.S. military communications.

The program is part of President Xi Jinping’s “China Dream” strategy of strengthening national power and reshaping the Asia-Pacific political environment into one in which its interests are given greater attention.

“China’s goal is to become a space power on par with the United States and to foster a space industry that is the equal of those in the United States, Europe, and Russia,” according to the report, which was prepared for the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission.

Of course, nothing can be discussed without full consideration of "future wars".

Chinese military analysts consider that space-based information will become a deciding issue in future wars, that space will be a dominant battlefield, and that in order to achieve victory on Earth, one must first seize the initiative in space, the institute said.

Now, we can't have this, can we.

“Although China is probably truthful when it says that it is not in a space race, such statements mask the true intent of its space program: to become militarily, diplomatically, commercially, and economically as competitive as the United States is in space,” the institute said in the report.

Read more: www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The planet is literally covered in war at the moment, yet preparations for future ones are being made?

The assessment that space is the dominant battlefield has led the People’s Liberation Army to conclude that war in space is inevitable, the institute said in the report led by Kevin Pollpeter, deputy director of the Study of Innovation and Technology in China at the IGCC

It's so depressing, the way we are as a global people.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This space build up could be just what the US needed. We need fear, without fear we become soft as in recent years here in the US. This has all been shaped by the US, until recent times. The US helped China become a global power,opening up trade, and letting the dragon free. Now the US, doenst really have an ally, with China. And has in my eyes shot itself it the foot. But whether we helped China or not, it would of eventually happened.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

“China’s improving space capabilities have negative-sum consequences for U.S. military security,” the University of California Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation said in the report. Its progress requires “the U.S. to prepare to confront an adversary possessing space and counter-space technologies.”

Quickly now...let's go get 'em.

USA !!!! USA !!!!

Sometimes when I read these snippets...it makes me sad and realize...there is no hope for us.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Makes me sad too Mario. I wish things were different here on our devolving planet.

But wasn't it last July they blew up one of their own satellites, just to see if they could? If they started blowing up ours, it would sure put us in a world of hurt though.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
We get what we plan for. If we would plan for peace and harmony, that is what we would have.

But this is what we are planning for. Wars and more wars. I dread the future for our children.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Makes me sad too Mario. I wish things were different here on our devolving planet.

But wasn't it last July they blew up one of their own satellites, just to see if they could? If they started blowing up ours, it would sure put us in a world of hurt though.

And why would china do that ? do you think while China is progressing on their way to becoming a super power...they would want to make the US their No1 enemy ? I doubt it sincerely.

Just as Iran wont nuke anyone, despite the propaganda from many corners...some entities simply want conflict...because we know it's good busyness.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Personally I have 2 emotions. One for sure is hoping finally for true peace on earth. This was the emotion & hope I had when the wall fell in 89. However in the meanwhile the USA has become the sole bully all around the globe. A request for 534 - Billion $ defense budget?! That is more than almost the entire world combined! Most countries run at 1-7% defense budget.
My 2nd emotion/desire is that it is about time the mighty USA needs a good lesson. So far the only people within the USA are it own homeless and otherwise "living poor 1/2 employed". I guess somehow the entire country needs a day where they find their cities looking like Dresden and Berlin in 45. And were all have the experience to be dirt poor, hungry, disease ridden and so forth. When the images of begging children barefoot and in rags do not come from some poor 3rd dirt country but from inside the USA. So that finally this country begins to realize that a nation's interests ends at its physical border. And once rebuilt it has a military budget just big enough to field an army to defend against Canada or Mexico. Because this is pretty much how other countries budget by looking across the border towards their neighbors and how much would be needed to defend against them.

Remember Rome. Maybe sometimes the only way to really teach a bully a lesson is to take him completely out.
As sad as it sounds but why should the tears of a child in Iraq be less worth than the tears of an American child? So disabling communication sure would be a nice down fall.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

We get what we plan for. If we would plan for peace and harmony, that is what we would have.

The French built the Maginot Line to prevent WW2. Fail.
The Brits counted on the English Channel (and the French) to keep them out of WW2. Fail.
The US counted on the oceans to keep us out of WW2. Fail.

We armed ouselves to the teeth throughout the Cold War. The Soviets never attacked because they knew they couldn't win. Success.

We HAVE to prepare for war because the other side is.
Tell Beijing to stand down. Watch them laugh.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Guenter

Personally I have 2 emotions

Really? Because I only saw one.... hatred, and lots of it. You can keep it, and I'm thankful ideas like yours aren't contagious but still, I don't want it anywhere near me.

Thanks but no thanks. Ugh.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Guenter

The reason why most other countries have low defense budgets is the large American one. If America's war machine disappeared for any reason all those other countries would actually have to pay for their own defense. Imagine the screams from their neighbors if Japan and Germany returned to a 1930's military readiness state? Or a situation where interlocking defense treaties suddenly cause a WW1 type war because somebodies diplomat or noble is assassinated?

How about Isis or Iran creating a new Islamic caliphate and then started expanding it? And it suddenly controlled 90% of the middle eastern oil output?

You may not like America. But the alternatives to it would really suck.

top topics

join