It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Members Be Required To Have An Avatar?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Howdy!

So I'm noticing a fair amount of new users lately, & it's always been a peeve of mine when people don't have an Avatar. Our names, avatars, & signatures all say something about us & our respective alter/egos, & I always feel like everyone is missing out on a key aspect of community bonding & our interpersonal relationships when discussing/arguing with a faceless name, so to speak.

It also makes it easier to peruse threads & see who is saying what.

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think being invisible says something too.

Plus with newer members...well, sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to do it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Or you could just read their names....

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think it takes a while to become both established and confidant enough to make or upload an avatar.

I think I was roundabout 3-400 posts before I felt it was the right thing to do.

Mrs nonspecific decided to go for one straight away but worried over it for ages, they say more about you than you think.

I do like them though, they bring an element of personality.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Or you could just read their names....

Do they not say a picture writes a thousand words though, It is easier to follow a good thread with a great big picture to remind you who is saying what.

Also some usernames are similiar or just plain random.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Howdy!

Our names, avatars, & signatures all say something about us & our respective alter/egos,

Any thoughts?

The less requirements and more choices I have in this life the better. IMHO

But since you brought it up Eunuchorn, I love your av, but please explain what your rainbow vomit unicorn is saying about your alter/ego.

I look forward to enlightenment

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I will fight this 'til the bitter end.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If ATS ever does decide to force a generic avatar on users, please please please don't use anything like the ones on my Samsung. They totally creep me out.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Plus with newer members...well, sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to do it.

This was definitely an underlying point. If it was required for membership, the process would have to be streamlined. I only ever use ATS on my phone & dealing with pics/avatar stuff is an enormous hassle. Some people may want an avatar & just can't get it done.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No, thank you for the thought though.

link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I will fight this 'til the bitter end.

LoL! I loved this. Answers like this are why I made this thread.

Now if we could only start giving Stars in BB forum hah

link   
No.

link   

originally posted by: Baldryck
No, thank you for the thought though.

Is there a specific reason you wouldn't want to have an avatar?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A lot of members may join up but not be a "full member" as it were, they may just sign up to discuss a particular topic.

I am members of loads of forums that I only joined up to for a specific reason.

I imagine it would put someone off if they had to go through the whole process.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

It's never polite to force people into doing something that isn't necessary.

Avatars, while being an extension of a persons personality are still nothing more than "Image" and "Window Dressing" so there is no reason to force it upon anyone.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
While you're at it create a campaign about having to require a phone number and valid address. Google and yahoo do it why not ATS?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Is there a specific reason you wouldn't want to have an avatar?

While your thought is well intentioned, it really isn't necessary. As others have stated, why force something that isn't needed? I choose on purpose to not have an avatar, it's a personal decision. Just as those who create wonderful avatars decide to do for themselves. If you force it, as one already pointed out above we will have to have some generic one in it's place. Therefore loss of choice. More and more these days we are forced to do things we really don't want to do, our choices are becoming fewer and fewer. Let me have this one.

I don't post often, when I do it is because what I have to say means something to me. Not having an avatar below my name does not make my opinion any less valid.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Baldryck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have a totally different avatar on mobile than I do on PC and a similar name to other members. I guess I'm your worst nightmare for keeping track of posts.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
While you're at it create a campaign about having to require a phone number and valid address. Google and yahoo do it why not ATS?

Just because they're valid doesn't mean it's actually yours however.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

Just because they're valid doesn't mean it's actually yours however.

Well then we have to do something about that. Gather a team of ATS MIB agents to go and confirm and each and every one of those addresses. While they're there they can cross reference that address to your phone number too.

Bam problem solved!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join